Re: Building with aluminum.

  • Howard Stephenson
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 29, 2004
      It's a brief question, Hal, and I guess it calls for a brief answer:
      yes.

      If you wanted to let us know a little more about what you had in
      mind, there are a few of us here who would be happy to provide
      further information.

      Cheers

      Howard

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "halgordo" <halgordon@e...> wrote:

      > I'm new to the group. Has anyone ever built a Bolger boat in
      aluminum?
    • blue_powered
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 29, 2004
        just about any stich and glue boat can be built of aluminum you just
        have to adjust the frameing to suit...
      • pvanderwaart
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 30, 2004
          A slightly longer answer...

          Bolger has designed some boats for Aluminium, including some
          powerboats for Winninghoff, The Wolf Trap 30 (cover girl of Different
          Boats), etc. In addition, he has remarked that some other ply boats
          could be adapted to Al.

          As with steel, problems arise if the boat is too small. The metal is
          too flexible when it is thin, and therefore either has to be heavy,
          or comprehensively framed. I would guess the minimum for a powerboat
          would be 18-20', for sail a little larger. At the smallest sizes, it
          will work best if the boat was designed for the material.

          Peter
        • blue_powered
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 30, 2004
            yes the boats no matter made out of alum. would be heavier but the
            end result is well worth it..you have a boat that will last a
            lifetime and ever decide to sell it , in my experiance it is easy to
            get your money back out of...i put some pictures in the aluminum
            diablo folder...the average fineshed alum weigh on these are 450
            pounds..there are full of foam and have self bailing decks...there
            is enough foam flotation so they will not sink if fillied with
            water..the original one built had a 9.9 fourstroke and would plane
            with one person then they put a 15 horse on it and it will get 4
            grown adults on step no problem at all...hve also made sweat pea out
            of aluminum but dont have any pics of it....