Re: [bolger] Re: home depot plywood

  • Philip Smith
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 25, 2004
      > I am wondering which designs require more than one
      > course, except for
      > the bottom?

      I'm thinking of designs in the 40' to 50' range or,
      perhaps, more. Phil Bolger said of one design, "Five
      inches of plywood is pretty strong too." The original
      concept was for steel and steel with insulating panels
      wasn't working for the canals of Europe. Air draft,
      the distance from the waterline to the top of the boat
      or the bottom of the bridge or tunnel's top, was
      difficult to achieve and to have adequate living
      space.

      > I don't actually see how you will save any money
      > because what little
      > you save on plywood, will be more than eaten up in
      > extra filler,
      > paint, epoxy, sanding supplies and additional work
      > and aggravation.

      Well, if it doesn't work out, then I guess I could
      switch back to more expensive wood. I think it would
      work OK.

      > If using thinner plywood you will have to use
      > heavier glass which
      > uses even more epoxy.

      I plan to epoxy between each course. I'd fill all the
      voids on the surfaces of the plywood, perhaps with
      Bondo perhaps with wood, and largely ignore any voids
      between layers. (Except, of course, on exposed
      edges.)I'm expecting the redundancy of the plys and
      the courses of plywood themselves to make even
      substantial voids between plys unimportant.

      Phil Smith