[bolger] Final purchases

  • Robert N. Lundy
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 1999
      Took off a little early from work today to get some of the final Windsprint
      production pieces. There are some odds and ends coming from Jamestown
      Distributors and Harbor Freight, but I'm ready to start the building.

      Lving about 10 miles from Fiberglass Coatings, Inc. make the brand of epoxy
      to buy a no brainer. Their floor guy was real helpful. A summary of the
      purchases:

      1 Gal Epoxy
      1/2 Gal 2:1 Hardener
      Big Graduated container
      6 little containers
      Tyvek suit (can't remember who on the list said they used this; good idea)
      4.5 inch 36 grit sanding disk for my angle grinder
      1 Sheet 36 grit sand paper (makes 4 sheets for a palm sander)
      1 Medium spreader
      1 pint ea superbond expoxy adhesive and slow hardener
      6 yards 6 oz./50in FG cloth
      Pumps for the epoxy and hardener (non calibrated)

      Total Cost (w/Tax) $120

      Of all this, the most interesting thing is probably going to be the
      pre-thickened epoxy adhesive. The sales guy (not really a salesy guy-more a
      guy who's done a lot of glass work) said its the consistency of vaseline,
      mix is 1:1, pot life of 45 minutes at 90 degrees and it'll fill gaps up to
      1/2 in. I was planning to use a lot of weldwood glue anywhere you can get a
      good clamp joint, but'll probably use some of this instead. I hated the
      idea of mixing in filler, so maybe this'll avoid one step.

      Plywood and misc. 1 in. and 2in disposible brushes came from home depot.
      Plywood is B/C Pine. I spent a lot of time going throught the pile as the
      quality varied tremendously, epsically the 1/4 in stuff. Georgia-Pacific's
      Planer knives need to be changed judging from the looks of the B side. I
      ended up with three sheets of 1/4 and two sheets of 1/2 in. After
      everything I've read, the biggest gripes about the flimsyness of the bolger
      creations seems to be directed at the 1/4 bottoms.

      Hopefully I can start cutting out parts tomorrow.

      P.S. one note about Fiberglass Coatings Inc. 1:1 Resin/Hardner; The guy
      said that it should never bee used on decks even if painted as it can soften
      at 120 degrees. Something good to know.

      Robert Lundy
      St. Petersburg, Fla.
    • monica@chairlady.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 1999
        > After everything I've read, the biggest gripes about the flimsyness
        of the
        > bolger creations seems to be directed at the 1/4 bottoms.
        >
        > Robert Lundy
        > St. Petersburg, Fla.

        Sacrilege! Infidel! Hold not the name of Bolger in contempt!

        Actually, my single Bolger build (a Thomaston Galley) with 1/4" bc pine
        bottom is just fine (and my butt well outweighs the whole boat itself).
        True, it does have a sole (also 1/4 bc pine) that normally is sat upon,
        but the bottom itself stays where it should. The bottom design is
        supposedly not a true conic section, but curves "both ways" slightly. I
        imagine this tortured plywood approach takes all the oil canning out of
        the sheet, that and the limited (just over 2 feet) span between the
        keelson and the chine.

        Enjoy