[bolger] WEST system foam rollers

  • VACANTI,MICHAEL S (HP-Roseville,ex1)
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 1999
      Hello,

      The other day I was applying fiberglass tape to the chines of my
      Junebug. I used WEST Systems epoxy and used a WEST System foam roller to
      spread it. Almost immediately I noticed that the foam roller started to
      pucker and within 10 minutes it had completely fallen apart. I mentioned
      this to the clerk at West Marine where I bought the supplies and she said
      she has heard of similar problems from at least one other customer. Has
      anyone on the list had the same experience? I was surprised and annoyed.

      Thanks,
      Mike
    • GHC
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 1999
        Epoxy melts all the cheap foam brushes and rollers I've tried from "Home
        Depot". I imagine West Systems has a special material in their rollers.

        GHC

        At 02:43 PM 10/1/1999 -0600, you wrote:
        >Hello,
        >
        > The other day I was applying fiberglass tape to the chines of my
        >Junebug. I used WEST Systems epoxy and used a WEST System foam roller to
        >spread it. Almost immediately I noticed that the foam roller started to
        >pucker and within 10 minutes it had completely fallen apart. I mentioned
        >this to the clerk at West Marine where I bought the supplies and she said
        >she has heard of similar problems from at least one other customer. Has
        >anyone on the list had the same experience? I was surprised and annoyed.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Mike

        >eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger

      • David Galvin
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 1999
          Mike,
          I've had the same problem with WEST System rollers. As a result, I generally
          use the no-name yellow foam rollers from Hamilton Marine or the black foam
          rollers from the local Ace Hardware. These rollers can also fall
          apart--especially the black ones--but they're about a third of the price of
          the WEST System ones, so it doesn't hurt so much,
          david