[bolger] Starting the Topaz

  • sailormon@torchlake.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 1999
      I early on mentioned the problem of getting plywood at a good cost and
      light weight. Wellll, contrary to my early expectation, birch ply did
      not come in on the light side. I think it has to do with what they use
      for the cores. Luan for instance was much lighter.
      To those of you who are interested. I spent last evening and today
      building the sides of the cabins and framing the windows. To put this
      in perspective, they are about 12' long at this point. The whole cabin
      will be about 14' to 15' when finished. I expect by tomorrow evening I
      will be done and working on the roof. Sounds silly, but I am doing the
      smaller items first as my shop will not handle the 30' pieces and will
      have to be built elswhere. For those like myself and my wife who like
      to dream, building the cabin sides first is neat. I placed them on a
      workbench, which brought them to the exact height as the finished boat.
      And presto we were inside her and at sea.
      For those who are looking for quick idea's. A lot of moulding pieces
      were used around all the windows, about 20 to each side. I used epoxy
      glue of course and spaced finishing nails along the wood as a way of
      clamping. These will be removed tomorrow and the holes filled as the
      mahagany is to be kept bright. Brad Raby
    • Donald Hodges
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 1999
        Brad, maybe I have been asleep at the switch, but I don't recall what
        "Topaz" is; do you have a web url or picture to post, showing the boat or
        her lines?

        Don Hodges
        Lynn Haven, FL