AUCKLAND CATAMARAN (BWOM)

  • John Spoering
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 7, 2004
      Hi All -

      Does anyone know if (Boating With An Open Mind - chapter 33) Colin Frankham of New Zealand ever built the Auckland Catamaran that Phill Bolger designed for him.? I'd really like to hear something about her performance. Seems to me that if one had access to the rig and sail that here would be a relatively inexpensive sailor that could really give those hi-class guys at the yacht club with their $200,000.00 plastic cats a real scare.

      Aloha - Jack Spoering - Ft Lauderdale Fl

      John Spoering
      spoering@...
      Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.

      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 7, 2004
        > (Boating With An Open Mind - chapter 33)
        > Auckland Catamaran

        I have read from that book a hundred times
        and not read that chapter closely until now.
        What an interesting boat! The hull seems
        simple to build, and yes it looks very fast.
      • Grupos
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 7, 2004
          >> (Boating With An Open Mind - chapter 33)
          >> Auckland Catamaran
          >
          > I have read from that book a hundred times
          > and not read that chapter closely until now.
          > What an interesting boat! The hull seems
          > simple to build, and yes it looks very fast.

          Is there any photos, files, scans, website to look at?
          Thanks, regards, Máximo.
        • jAMES fITCH
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 7, 2004
            Auckland Cat-
            Where does one go to see the lines/ pic of this cat-jim

            Bruce Hallman <bruce@...> wrote:
            > (Boating With An Open Mind - chapter 33)
            > Auckland Catamaran

            I have read from that book a hundred times
            and not read that chapter closely until now.
            What an interesting boat! The hull seems
            simple to build, and yes it looks very fast.

            Bolger rules!!!

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 7, 2004
              > Where does one go to see the lines/ pic of this cat-jim

              Pages 166 and 167 of Bolger's book _Boats With an Open Mind_

              Amazon.com has the 'search inside this book' feature,
              so you can read the chapter [if you don't have the book].
              It is Bolger's best book, a must read.

              If the cookie monster and tinyurl works, this click might take you there.

              http://tinyurl.com/4brb7
            • Susan Davis
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 7, 2004
                > Does anyone know if (Boating With An Open Mind - chapter 33)
                > Colin Frankham of New Zealand ever built the Auckland Catamaran that
                > Phill Bolger designed for him.? I'd really like to hear something
                > about her performance. Seems to me that if one had access to the rig
                > and sail that here would be a relatively inexpensive sailor that
                > could really give those hi-class guys at the yacht club with their
                > $200,000.00 plastic cats a real scare.

                A non-Bolger alternative of similar size, cost, and ease of
                construction would be Jeff Gilbert's "Gumboots", which also has
                ocean-crossinga ccommodations on board where the Auckland cat is
                strictly a daysailer.

                --
                Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
              • dbaldnz
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 7, 2004
                  Hi Jack,
                  I looked him up in the phone book a couple of years ago here in
                  Auckland, didn't ring him, but took a look around the coast where he
                  lives, but never saw the boat.
                  I have his name, address and phone no, which is in the current book,
                  if you want it? Or I could ring him if you want me to.
                  Let me know.
                  DonB
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John Spoering" <spoering@e...> wrote:
                  > Hi All -
                  >
                  > Does anyone know if (Boating With An Open Mind - chapter
                  33) Colin Frankham of New Zealand ever built the Auckland Catamaran
                  that Phill Bolger designed for him.? I'd really like to hear
                  something about her performance. Seems to me that if one had
                  access to the rig and sail that here would be a relatively
                  inexpensive sailor that could really give those hi-class guys at the
                  yacht club with their $200,000.00 plastic cats a real scare.

                  Aloha - Jack Spoering - Ft Lauderdale Fl

                  > John Spoering
                  > spoering@e...
                  > Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.

                • Sam Glasscock
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 7, 2004
                    --- Susan Davis <futabachan@...> wrote:
                    Anybody have a source for info on gumboots? Duckworks
                    lists it, but I can't open the link. Sam
                    > A non-Bolger alternative of similar size, cost, and
                    > ease of
                    > construction would be Jeff Gilbert's "Gumboots",
                    > which also has
                    > ocean-crossinga ccommodations on board where the
                    > Auckland cat is
                    > strictly a daysailer.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Susan Davis <futabachan@...>

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Howard Stephenson
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 7, 2004
                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John Spoering" <spoering@e...> wrote:
                      > Hi All -
                      >
                      > Does anyone know if (Boating With An Open Mind - chapter
                      >33) Colin Frankham of New Zealand ever built the Auckland Catamaran
                      >that Phill Bolger designed for him.? I'd really like to hear
                      >something about her performance. Seems to me that if one had
                      >access to the rig and sail that here would be a relatively
                      >inexpensive sailor that could really give those hi-class guys at the
                      >yacht club with their $200,000.00 plastic cats a real scare.

                      As one who learnt about the design of multihulls directly from Lock
                      Crowther, I'm confident in saying that AC would be (relatively) cheap
                      and easy to build but wouldn't compete with a modern racing catamaran
                      of a similar size. It would beat some of the cruising cats whose
                      design was not optimized for speed.

                      The design is even less sophisticated than Charles Cunningham's 1950s
                      designs, such as the Yvonne and Quickcat. Go to

                      http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Arena/9449/

                      ... for information on the Yvonne, whose plans were available in 1954
                      and most likely still are. The class still holds championships.

                      AC's biggest deficiency is the centreboard arrangement. I can't quite
                      work out the fairing, if any, on the crossbeams, but they look too
                      close to the water anyway.

                      Howard
                    • woofers94401
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 7, 2004
                        I yahoo'd, got this linke and was able to get right to it...

                        http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/designs/gilbert/gumboots/

                        Incidentally, I wonder what made PBs first cat. such a "failure.."

                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Sam Glasscock <glasscocklanding@y...>
                        wrote:

                        > --- Susan Davis <futabachan@y...> wrote:
                        > Anybody have a source for info on gumboots? Duckworks
                        > lists it, but I can't open the link. Sam
                        > > A non-Bolger alternative of similar size, cost, and
                        > > ease of
                        > > construction would be Jeff Gilbert's "Gumboots",
                        > > which also has
                        > > ocean-crossinga ccommodations on board where the
                        > > Auckland cat is
                        > > strictly a daysailer.
                        > >
                        > > --
                        > > Susan Davis <futabachan@y...>

                        > http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Howard Stephenson
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 7, 2004
                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "woofers94401" <gregoryu@p...> wrote:

                          > I yahoo'd, got this linke and was able to get right to it...
                          >
                          > http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/designs/gilbert/gumboots/
                          >
                          > Incidentally, I wonder what made PBs first cat. such a "failure.."

                          Does Jeff Gilbert have a track record of successful multihull
                          designs? I wouldn't invest my time and money in an untested catamaran
                          design.

                          They are much harder to design than it looks because of the stresses
                          generated by their stability and speed and the need to keep weight to
                          a minimum due to the limited underwater volume of the hulls that must
                          be slim to be fast. When sailing fast practically all the weight must
                          be borne on only one hull. If you are going to build it heavy to make
                          it strong, you might as well have a monohull -- only one hull to
                          build instead or two.

                          Howard
                        • pvanderwaart
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 7, 2004
                            > Does Jeff Gilbert have a track record of successful multihull
                            > designs? I wouldn't invest my time and money in an
                            > untested catamaran design.

                            Having corresponded with Jeff at some length, I'll toss in some info.

                            I don't know if he has any catamarans in the water. I tend to think
                            not. I appreciate the desire to stay away from an untested design,
                            and for many it makes a lot of sense. The question is whether there
                            is a design you like.

                            The Gumboots is in mid-development. He has changed the hull from the
                            last distributed drawing in order to get the boat into a shipping
                            container (dismounted, of course). I suspect that it will likely sail
                            well in a straight line. Whether the speed will be competitive with a
                            boat from a more experienced designer, only time can tell. Jeff has a
                            commitment to strong construction, but anything can happen in a one-
                            off.

                            There are two other Gilbert catamaran designs in the works. Hot Chili
                            is about 15 feet. One was built to approximately completed hull
                            stage, but the builder decided to go J-24 racing instead of finishing
                            the boat. AlleyCat is about 20 feet. The first boat is in build,
                            probably slowly. AlleyCat is not envisioned to be a fast boat, and,
                            IMHO, is marginal from a safety point of view since it relies on the
                            sailor not to press too hard.

                            He was just finishing the drawings of a 25 foot cruising schooner
                            last I corresponded with him.

                            Jeff is somewhat now and then with regards to communications. On his
                            Yahoo group, there was a comment that he has had computer trouble
                            lately. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jgbuilders/messages

                            Peter
                          • Will Samson
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 7, 2004
                              If anybody is thinking about a proven low-tech catamaran design, they could do a lot worse than look at James Wharram's boats. http://www.jameswharramdesigns.co.uk/

                              They range from 14 feet to 55 feet in length, and just about all of them have been built in large numbers.

                              Bill

                            • Howard Stephenson
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 7, 2004
                                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Will Samson" <willsamson@y...> wrote:
                                > If anybody is thinking about a proven low-tech catamaran design,
                                they could do a lot worse than look at James Wharram's boats.
                                http://www.jameswharramdesigns.co.uk/

                                I admit a grudging admiration of his designs. They shouldn't work,
                                but they seem to meet the purpose for which they were designed. As
                                far as I know, considering all the rank amateurs who have built and
                                sailed them across oceans, they have a good safety record.

                                Howard
                              • pvanderwaart
                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 7, 2004
                                  > they could do a lot worse than look at James Wharram's boats.

                                  Jeff's big complaint about Wharram is that his smaller (<30ft) boats
                                  don't have even proper sitting headroom.

                                  Peter
                                • dbaldnz
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 7, 2004
                                    I feel some are taking the AC too seriously. I'm pretty sure it is
                                    meant as a daysailing fun boat, fast for the outlay and quick easy
                                    construction. You are comparing apples with oranges when comparing
                                    AC with cruising cats,
                                    DonB

                                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pvanderwaart" <pvanderwaart@y...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > > they could do a lot worse than look at James Wharram's boats.
                                    >
                                    > Jeff's big complaint about Wharram is that his smaller (<30ft)
                                    boats
                                    > don't have even proper sitting headroom.
                                    >
                                    > Peter
                                  • Howard Stephenson
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 7, 2004
                                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dbaldnz" <oink@w...> wrote:

                                      > I feel some are taking the AC too seriously. I'm pretty sure it is
                                      > meant as a daysailing fun boat, fast for the outlay and quick easy
                                      > construction. You are comparing apples with oranges when comparing
                                      > AC with cruising cats,
                                      > DonB
                                      >

                                      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pvanderwaart" <pvanderwaart@y...>
                                      > wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > > they could do a lot worse than look at James Wharram's boats.
                                      > >
                                      > > Jeff's big complaint about Wharram is that his smaller (<30ft)
                                      > boats don't have even proper sitting headroom.

                                      True enough, Don. John's first post was comparing (contrasting) AC
                                      with "$200,000 plastic cats" without saying whether he meant racing
                                      or cruising boats. The dialogue went on from there.

                                      Not much headroom inside the AC, but plenty if you're sitting on the
                                      deck, as long as you watch the boom.

                                      Howard
                                    • dbaldnz
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 8, 2004
                                        Yes, I felt that if he was looking at the AC, he wouldn't be
                                        considering cruisers.
                                        A friend showed me a newspaper advert for a Bolger Centennial2 last
                                        weekend. Without the high house. For the equivalent of us$3300.
                                        Sadly the quality of the newspaper photo was so bad...not worth
                                        scanning. A pity because the original would be a nice sailing
                                        picture.
                                        DonB

                                        > True enough, Don. John's first post was comparing (contrasting) AC
                                        > with "$200,000 plastic cats" without saying whether he meant
                                        racing
                                        > or cruising boats. The dialogue went on from there.
                                        >
                                        > Not much headroom inside the AC, but plenty if you're sitting on
                                        the
                                        > deck, as long as you watch the boom.
                                        >
                                        > Howard
                                      • Susan Davis
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Oct 8, 2004
                                          Peter:
                                          > [Jeff Gilbert] was just finishing the drawings of a 25 foot cruising
                                          > schooner last I corresponded with him.

                                          Ooo, Cartaphylla? I've had my eye on her for a while as a possibility
                                          for my next project after the I60 is in the water. If she's really
                                          being completed and built, that's good news.

                                          -- Sue --
                                          (who has more than enough on her plate at the moment, though)

                                          --
                                          Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
                                        • John Spoering
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Oct 9, 2004
                                            Hi Howard --

                                            Thanks for your replies to my query re. P.B.'s Auckland Cat. I'd be
                                            interested in building one to take part in Florida races like the Ft
                                            Lauderdale and Miami race to Key West and the Columbus Day Regatta.
                                            Scaling off the diagrams in BWOM it looks like the hulls are about 3' wide
                                            and high, I can live with this by puting a Wharram (I've built 4 of these)
                                            type cabin over the large hatch shown on the plans in order to meet race
                                            requirements of berth, head and cooker inside.

                                            What I'd like to hear from someone is - - - can this cat keep up with
                                            the "Sea Wind" cats (30-33') that are so prevalent here ? These are
                                            cruising class not all out races like the Roberts designs.

                                            Aloha - Jack Spoering

                                            (978) 282-1349
                                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          • John Spoering
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Oct 9, 2004
                                              Hi Don -
                                              Thanks for all your replies re. my request for info on P.B.'s Auckland
                                              Cat. Sorry, about my oversight of not distinguishing that I'm NOT looking
                                              for an all out racing cat, she would never keep up with the new ultralight
                                              racing machines out there now . But, could she keep up with boats like the
                                              Australian built "Sea Wind Cat" or the "Main Cat" that are so popular (and
                                              costly) here in the local Florida coastal races ?

                                              Aloha - Jack Spoering - Ft Lauderdale

                                              (978) 282-1349
                                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                            • John Spoering
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Oct 9, 2004
                                                Hi Don -

                                                You've made me a wonderful offer --If it's not an expensive call I
                                                would appreciate it if you can give Howard a call and see wether or not he
                                                actually built the Auckland Cat or still has the plans and just email me
                                                the results as I don't see him on the Bolger groups membership list.

                                                Thanking you in advance - - - - Aloha Jack Spoering - Ft
                                                Lauderdale, Florida

                                                (978) 282-1349
                                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                              • Howard Stephenson
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Oct 9, 2004
                                                  Hi John,

                                                  Sorry to have given then impression I was any kind of expert. I'm
                                                  just someone with too much spare time and a certain amount of
                                                  knowledge in this area, mostly acquired directly from Lock Crowther,
                                                  a master of multihull design until his untimely death a decade or so
                                                  ago. The only plans for AC I've seen are the drawings in BWAOM. The
                                                  only multihull I've built was a 20' daysailer trimaran, over 40 years
                                                  ago.

                                                  I was trying to say that AC's design is 50 years behind modern
                                                  multihull thinking. Others have tried balanced jibs, planing hulls
                                                  and centreboards not mounted under hulls and found they didn't work
                                                  well enough to persist with. I don't know any other examples of a
                                                  rudder like this one, for good reason, as I'm fairly sure it won't
                                                  work just when it's needed, as the windward hull starts to lift.
                                                  Modern racing cats are proportionately wider than this and the
                                                  crossbeams are farther from the water and properly faired.

                                                  I assume this is the Seawind catamaran:
                                                  http://www.cancuncatamaran1.netfirms.com/aboutme.htm I don't think AC
                                                  would stand a chance against it. Your best bet would be to try and
                                                  find a used one -- possibly cheaper than building an AC. To gain an
                                                  advantage you could try something like a flat single-luff spinnaker
                                                  for light-air downwind sailing, when apparent wind will turn a broad
                                                  reach into a close reach.

                                                  By the way, Crowther tried angled daggerboards like Seawind's in
                                                  about 1961 and found they didn't provide as much vertical lift as
                                                  he'd hoped.

                                                  Howard

                                                  -- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John Spoering" <spoering@e...> wrote:
                                                  > Hi Howard --
                                                  >
                                                  > Thanks for your replies to my query re. P.B.'s
                                                  Auckland Cat.
                                                • Harry James
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Oct 9, 2004
                                                    Along similar lines for construction ease Bill Kristoffersons designs,
                                                    the 24 ft cat and tri are both very appealing to me.

                                                    http://www.prcn.org/kismet/index.html

                                                    HJ