Skip to search.

Re: best rowing boat

  • Thierry
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 4, 2004
      Hello Rob B

      We all are happy about the Teals but we tend to be happy in general
      too.
      My kids 13 and 11 sail one while I stand watch under oar power in the
      other one. They love the boat. I plan to change the rudder to a kick-
      up rudder because that is the only thing sticking under the boat. At
      the present the lee-board hungs over the side with a retaining strop
      threaded in the middle of the frame so when we tack we have to tack
      the leeboard too which is a bit wet but OK otherwise. I might hinge
      it on a bolt stuck in the middle of the side.
      I rigged the Teal as a standing lugger with a 65 sqft sail which is a
      lot and no boom which is nice against clutter but slightly unstable
      down wind. I was watching my kids starting a death roll last week-end
      but the helmsman was excellent and jibed without mishap.
      I was sailing the other day with my wife and the boat is adequate
      even with 2 adults (we are light weight people at 120 kg).
      I rowed 6 nautical miles on the coast the other day in less than 2
      hours without effort. I think that a good performance for a little
      boat like the Teal.

      Cheers
      Thierry
      Lunenburg, Nova Scotia

      > Hi Thierry,
      > How does Teal performan under sail quick and steady etc. We are
      getting back to dinghy sailing in my club and it looks like the ideal
      boat for rowing/sailing to join the fun.