Matilda

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2004
      Bob Esterle recently posted about the big daggerboard on a Matilda
      sailboat and it rather puzzled me as the ones I have seen had a keel.

      http://www.members.shaw.ca/matildasail/gallery23/pictures/

      If you check the one on the trailer here you will see what I recall.

      Turns out this is the Matilda 23 not the 20 and in reading about the
      20 it seems like an interesting design alright. The mechanism
      requires lots of wheel bearing grease to keep it working it seems.

      I also did not realize the 23 had a swing keel. I don't recall my
      friend ever using it on the one he chartered on Lake Of The Woods
      many years ago. Beautiful boat I always thought. Notice the wine
      cabinet. Very British old chap!

      Also at the above website it tells about Bob too:-)

      Cheers, Nels
    • Paul W. Esterle
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2004
        Paul, not Bob! I haven't had to service the pulleys in years!

        Paul (not Bob)

        > Bob Esterle recently posted about the big daggerboard on a Matilda
        > sailboat and it rather puzzled me as the ones I have seen had a keel.
        >
        > http://www.members.shaw.ca/matildasail/gallery23/pictures/
        >
        > If you check the one on the trailer here you will see what I recall.
        >
        > Turns out this is the Matilda 23 not the 20 and in reading about the
        > 20 it seems like an interesting design alright. The mechanism
        > requires lots of wheel bearing grease to keep it working it seems.
        >
        > I also did not realize the 23 had a swing keel. I don't recall my
        > friend ever using it on the one he chartered on Lake Of The Woods
        > many years ago. Beautiful boat I always thought. Notice the wine
        > cabinet. Very British old chap!
        >
        > Also at the above website it tells about Bob too:-)
        >
        > Cheers, Nels

        (978) 282-1349