Re: Doh! Keel!!!!!!

  • Howard Stephenson
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 1, 2004
      I warped a new daggerboard once by leaving it out in the sun before
      I'd properly sealed the timber. I fixed it by just flipping it over
      and keeping an eye on it. So you might correct the problem by doing
      what you did to the other side of the board, including reproducig the
      humidity, but not necessarily the hurricane. Get some epoxy, paint or
      varnish on it as soon as it's symmetrical again.

      Howard

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Stancil" <jasonstancil@h...>
      > wrote:
      > >> Seriously, suggestions would be appreciated as sailing in
      circles
      > > wasn't what i had in mind when i started this project.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Jason
    • Jason Stancil
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2004

        > You are just going to have to treat your keel better if you want
        it to co-operate and stop this leeboard nonsense!
        ********************
        Don't tempt me too put a chainsaw to this evil 450lbs monster and
        make a leeboard out of it

        > First we need more details. What is it that is warped? How wet is
        the plywood? Is the lead shot epoxy area warped at all? I am
        wondering if you can lay it flat and put weight on the warped area
        forcing it to straighten?
        **********************
        The twist starts forward of the casting and stops where it becomes
        all timber towards the forward end. Does that make sense? It's
        laying flat now, almost lost my fingers flipping it off the wall.

        > what kind of shoe did you install?
        glass, i never got to the sides so that's how the water soaked in,
        it's dry now.

        > If it is only a small amount - ignore it. You can tune it out with
        > the mizzen. Oooops just realized you don't have a mizzen:-(
        ************************
        GRRRRRRRRR ;)

        To further clarify my stupidity: When i installed the second
        sheathing half to the deadwood i gave the ply a little....ok a
        heafty tug to line up the two halves. At the time no problem. I
        guess my submersible basement acted as a monster steam bender after
        the epoxy cured......it held it's shape for a week before it tweaked.

        Jason
      • Nels
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 1, 2004
          wrote:
          > To further clarify my stupidity: When i installed the second
          > sheathing half to the deadwood i gave the ply a little....ok a
          > heafty tug to line up the two halves. At the time no problem. I
          > guess my submersible basement acted as a monster steam bender after
          > the epoxy cured......it held it's shape for a week before it
          tweaked.

          > Jason

          Ahhhhh so you tortured your poor keel as well. And I bet you put in
          lots of fastners so it would hold nice and tight too eh?

          I would go back to plan "A" and force it into place on the keel
          batten. The keel is so shallow up that far forward you won't even
          notice once you've had a couple cool ones:-)

          All the best Jason. Admire your tenacity and determination.

          Send pictures once you are finished:-)

          Cheers, Nels
        • Jason Stancil
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 2, 2004
            Oh yeah, First major mistake to date. The keel will not fit the
            batten properly. Had 2 folks from next door myself and a girlfriend
            winching, prying, cursing, and hammering. We got it up and in place
            but the twist is evident and totally unacceptible to me. It won't
            straighten out (i think) because the ballast is epoxy lead and won't
            bend like a lead pour will. Yet another reason to follow directions,
            blah, blah blah!

            Scratching my head, going to go boating and think about it.

            Jason the lateral resistance challanged
          • dbaldnz
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 2, 2004
              Jason, your first post said the twist was forward of the lead, in
              the shallower deadwood area. So your lead must be straight.
              (actually, a poured lead keel is probably more likely to 'creep'
              than your composite one.)
              If it's just the deadwood, can't you pull the screws, and plane and
              fill the deadwood? Or cut the front twisted piece off, fix the lead
              keel in place, and glue strips of timber in place to make up the
              original profile?
              DonB

              wrote:

              > Oh yeah, First major mistake to date. The keel will not fit the
              > batten properly. Had 2 folks from next door myself and a
              girlfriend
              > winching, prying, cursing, and hammering. We got it up and in
              place
              > but the twist is evident and totally unacceptible to me. It won't
              > straighten out (i think) because the ballast is epoxy lead and
              won't
              > bend like a lead pour will. Yet another reason to follow
              directions,
              > blah, blah blah!
              >
              > Scratching my head, going to go boating and think about it.
              >
              > Jason the lateral resistance challanged
            • Lincoln Ross
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 2, 2004
                If the epoxy/lead part is warped, you can get the epoxy to soften if you
                heat it up, probably someplace in the vicinity of 150 to 200 degrees F.

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 2, 2004
                  Perhaps the simplest fix is to just fair out the
                  crooked spots with epoxy and filler or plywood
                  lamate, ending up with a thicker fin. Some more
                  work, but not a disaster either.
                • Roger Derby
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 2, 2004
                    Being a person with little faith when it comes to fluid dynamics, I sure
                    would like to have you sail it before and after the fix.

                    When the boat heels, it becomes quite asymmetrical. Some boats can be
                    steered by heel and fore-and-aft trim. You might not notice the difference,
                    particularly if your paint scheme made it unobtrusive on the trailer.

                    Roger
                    derbyrm@...
                    http://derbyrm.mystarband.net/default.htm

                    > Perhaps the simplest fix is to just fair out the
                    > crooked spots with epoxy and filler or plywood
                    > lamate, ending up with a thicker fin. Some more
                    > work, but not a disaster either.
                  • Rick Bedard
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 2, 2004
                      Jason,

                      Don's probably on the right track here, but to clarify are you trying to fit the keel assembly "as is" to the batten or do you want to attached a straightened keel assembly to the hull? Either will work, but require different solutions. No sense offering advice on a direction you don't want to persue...

                      Also is the keel kinked forward of the lead in one place, or is it a gentle sweep to one side forward of the lead? And how far out of straight is it?

                      Rick

                      dbaldnz <oink@...> wrote:

                      Jason, your first post said the twist was forward of the lead, in
                      the shallower deadwood area. So your lead must be straight.
                      (actually, a poured lead keel is probably more likely to 'creep'
                      than your composite one.)
                      If it's just the deadwood, can't you pull the screws, and plane and
                      fill the deadwood? Or cut the front twisted piece off, fix the lead
                      keel in place, and glue strips of timber in place to make up the
                      original profile?
                      DonB

                    • scott backen
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 2, 2004
                        Did you ever see a male killer whale? Check out the dorsal fin ... a big crooked keel, it looks like it works just fine. And nobody ever told the killer whale he looked funny! Anyway you cant see the keel in the water.

                        Scott Backen

                        > Perhaps the simplest fix is to just fair out the
                        > crooked spots with epoxy and filler or plywood
                        > lamate, ending up with a thicker fin. Some more
                        > work, but not a disaster either.

                        Bolger rules!!!

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • Jason Stancil
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 2, 2004
                          Thanks for everyones thoughts an ideas. I couldn't stand this kink
                          in my baby (4.5" off at the bow batten tip). I cut the front 4 foot
                          off the keel today in a fit of sadistic rage. I feel much better
                          now. I'll redo it next weekend i guess.
                        • dbaldnz
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 2, 2004
                            He also turns on a dime:}
                            DonB
                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "scott backen" <440ford@v...> wrote:
                            > Did you ever see a male killer whale? Check out the dorsal fin ...
                            a big crooked keel, it looks like it works just fine. And nobody
                            ever told the killer whale he looked funny! Anyway you cant see the
                            keel in the water.

                            > Scott Backen

                            Fred' posts
                            > - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts, and snip
                            away
                            01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
                            > - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-
                            subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            of Service.

                          • dbaldnz
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 2, 2004
                              That will be fine Jason.
                              Really the front 4ft of keel is there to protect the bottom, and
                              lets you snug up to rocks, shoals and failing trailer rollers.
                              Good to hear you knocked it on the chin,
                              DonB

                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 3, 2004
                                > I feel much better
                                > now. I'll redo it next weekend i guess.

                                You have heard that all boatbuilders
                                need a moaning chair?
                              • Jason Stancil
                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 3, 2004
                                  > You have heard that all boatbuilders
                                  > need a moaning chair?

                                  Heh, two in the boat, one overhead on the porch, one on the ground
                                  beside it and even a cooler but i don't usually sit there as it's
                                  hard to gain access with my rump on top. Oh yeah and the milk crates
                                  all over, sometime seats sometimes jack stands/safety devices when
                                  i'm under that monster. Seriously, i sit stare aimlessly at it more
                                  than i build.
                                  Jason
                                • Robin Badenoch
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 3, 2004
                                    Hi Jason,
                                    If you can heat the epoxy lead it will become soft ?

                                    Rob B
                                    Oz

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 4, 2004
                                      Jason you definitely take the unofficial Bolger Group
                                      Builder-Entertainer of the Month Award!

                                      Heh, two in the boat, one overhead on the porch, one on the ground
                                      beside it and even a cooler but i don't usually sit there as it's
                                      hard to gain access with my rump on top. Oh yeah and the milk crates
                                      all over, sometime seats sometimes jack stands/safety devices when
                                      i'm under that monster. Seriously, i sit stare aimlessly at it more
                                      than i build.
                                      Jason

                                      Bolger rules!!!
                                      - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930,
                                      Fax: (978) 282-1349

                                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129hiuc32/M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/
                                      D=groups/S=1705065791:HM/EXP=1096935620/A=2376776/R=0/SIG=11ldm1jvc/*htt
                                      p://promotions.yahoo.com/ydomains2004/index.html> click here

                                      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=group
                                      s/S=:HM/A=2376776/rand=433030817>

                                      _____

                                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    • Jason Stancil
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Oct 4, 2004
                                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Kreamer" <kreamer@a...> wrote:
                                        > Jason you definitely take the unofficial Bolger Group
                                        > Builder-Entertainer of the Month Award!

                                        I am to displease :)
                                        Jason
                                      • John B. Trussell
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Oct 4, 2004
                                          We all make mistakes. Sometimes we can ignore them, sometimes we can fix them, and sometimes we have to trash our work and start over (which is where small boats are a good thing--the messed up piece is usually small enough to burn easily!). Alas, been there and done all of that.

                                          John T

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Oct 4, 2004
                                            There is a scene in the video "One the Ways at Wallace and Sons" (or whatever it's called, a great video of guys building a schooner on a budget) Anyway the interviewer asks a question about what do they do when they encounter a problem. The old boy says something to the effect that they just keep abuildin' until they work their way out of the problem..

                                            Go Jason, go! We're all cheering for you...

                                            Rick

                                            "John B. Trussell" <John.Trussell@...> wrote:
                                            We all make mistakes. Sometimes we can ignore them, sometimes we can fix them, and sometimes we have to trash our work and start over (which is where small boats are a good thing--the messed up piece is usually small enough to burn easily!). Alas, been there and done all of that.

                                            John T
                                            > Jason you definitely take the unofficial Bolger Group
                                            > Builder-Entertainer of the Month Award!

                                            I am to displease :)
                                            Jason

                                            Bolger rules!!!