Re: Fast Motorsailer mods

  • Howard Stephenson
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2004
      Not trying to put you off, Ryan, but here is another consideration:
      without increasing scantlings (thicker ply on the bottom?), will the
      boat be strong enough with the extra section added? Five ft. is a lot
      in a boat this size. Think of the forces at work when the hull is
      supported in the middle by a wave, particularly if that wave is
      moving at 20Kt or so. The trouble with flat sheets of plywood is that
      they are not as rigid as sheets that are curved. There might not be a
      problem unless you are using a large engine. PCB would have the
      answers.

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan Cermak" <RCermak@t...> wrote:

      > Find the center of gravity, split the hull there, move the two
      > halves three to five feet apart, add in an extra frame (or two),
      > cover with plywood, tape and epoxy the seams.

      You need to think about (and possibly calculate) whether the hull
      will trim correctly, at rest and while planing. You will be changing
      the weight, the buoyancy and the dimensions of the planing surface.
      With aircraft, I don't suppose you need to worry too much about
      hydrostatics, or the hydrodynamics of planing surfaces either, except
      with seaplanes or flying-boats.

      Howard