Re: bolger's dagger boards

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 1, 2004
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. Esterle" <pesterle@p...>
      wrote:
      > Can't speak to the problems with a PCB daggerboard but I have owned
      and
      > sailed a 20' Matilda for 15 years. It has a 3/8" steel plate
      daggerboard
      > with a 300 lb. lead bulb on the bottom. A multipart tackle is
      mounted on the
      > inside of the trunk and the top of the daggerboard. The cable leads
      to a
      > winch mounted on the outside of the rear cabin bulkhead. It has
      worked very
      > well with minimum fuss (except for the time I lost control of the
      winch and
      > it lowered itself all the way to the safety stop). I have grounded
      with no
      > problems, the boat just stopped REAL quick!

      Hard for me to visualize...Does the daggerboard raise inside the
      cabin or out? How deep is the board? I thought Matilda's had fixed
      keels. Any photos?

      Cheers, Nels
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 1, 2004
        > Was [Centeniall II] before or after STORM PETREL?

        Storm Petrel #337 is essentially a motor sailer, seaworthy and coastal.

        Centenenial II #332 was designed to be the minimum seaworthy
        boat, [in therory at least], capable to cross the Atlantic
        in reasonable safety (you wouldn't catch me doing it). Oar auxillary.

        http://hallman.org/bolger/Centenial2/

        I bet they were both designed within a month or two of each other.
      • John B. Trussell
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 2, 2004
          I've had daggerboards on two Windmills and a Scooner. Both boats had boards of unballasted plywood, and raising/lowering them did not take any great effort.

          Advantages: the dagger board case is shorter than a centerboard case. It is, therefore, easier to make watertight. The slot is shorter with a dagger board than with a centerboard and a db case is less likely to spit water. Being shorter, a db case takes up less room inside the boat than a cb case. Db cases are often higher (going all the way to the deck line) than cb cases, and this really helps in trying to bail a totally swamped boat (where a cb case will let water in as fast as you bail).

          Disadvantages: When you run aground, either the boat stops really fast and/or you bust the board or possibly spring the db case. Daggerboards stick up above the deck line when raised by the same amount they stick down below the bottom when lowered. This is not a problem with a schooner, but an unexpected jibe with the db up on a sloop rigged boat can be real exciting. And wet. But the boat is easier to bail out afterwords:>)

          When I was contemplating His and Hers Schooners, I thought it might be possible to build teeth into the edge of the daggerboard and use a screw jack to raise and lower it. So long as the project is in a fantasizing stage, it seems like a workable solution...

          John T
          > Was [Centeniall II] before or after STORM PETREL?

          Storm Petrel #337 is essentially a motor sailer, seaworthy and coastal.

          Centenenial II #332 was designed to be the minimum seaworthy
          boat, [in therory at least], capable to cross the Atlantic
          in reasonable safety (you wouldn't catch me doing it). Oar auxillary.

          http://hallman.org/bolger/Centenial2/

          I bet they were both designed within a month or two of each other.

          Bolger rules!!!

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor