Re: bolger's dagger boards

  • Susan Davis
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 1, 2004
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, David Ryan <david@c...> wrote:
      > A 9000lbs capacity truck winch should do the trick. Talked to truck
      > supply salesman and he talked me out of the $1200 model saying the
      > $499 model is simply better.
      >
      > He also said he'd give me a deal on two ;-)

      You're on. :-)
    • Howard Stephenson
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 1, 2004
        Alough this may not be quite the situation with your I60, Susan, you
        can take comfort from something PCB said about a design that he
        hadn't yet been able to complete to the client's satisfaction: "She
        won't depreciate at her time of life".

        Howard

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Davis" <futabachan@y...> wrote:
        > > what is the I60 using to pull it swingkeel up?
        >
        > At the moment, nothing -- the I60 is still sitting on Phil and
        > Suzanne's drawing boards. :-)
      • Nels
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 1, 2004
          >> I bet an "A-frame hoist" could also solve the handling problem of
          > the ballasted lee boards on Centenial II, making that boat a much
          > more desirable choice for many. "...the most economical boat
          > that could be called fit to keep the sea in bad weather."
          > From 11 sheets of 3/8" plywood.

          Was that before or after STORM PETREL?

          http://www.belljar.net/bolgersp.htm

          "I don't think that there are many designs around with that
          capability that can be built complete from eight 3/8" x 4' x 8'
          sheets of plywood, and as little else as this one."

          Also I would really love to see a real life "THREE-METER MULTIHULL"
          Page 31 BWAOM. Beautiful little boat but for the twin daggerboards.

          Cheers, Nels
        • Nels
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 1, 2004
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. Esterle" <pesterle@p...>
            wrote:
            > Can't speak to the problems with a PCB daggerboard but I have owned
            and
            > sailed a 20' Matilda for 15 years. It has a 3/8" steel plate
            daggerboard
            > with a 300 lb. lead bulb on the bottom. A multipart tackle is
            mounted on the
            > inside of the trunk and the top of the daggerboard. The cable leads
            to a
            > winch mounted on the outside of the rear cabin bulkhead. It has
            worked very
            > well with minimum fuss (except for the time I lost control of the
            winch and
            > it lowered itself all the way to the safety stop). I have grounded
            with no
            > problems, the boat just stopped REAL quick!

            Hard for me to visualize...Does the daggerboard raise inside the
            cabin or out? How deep is the board? I thought Matilda's had fixed
            keels. Any photos?

            Cheers, Nels
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 1, 2004
              > Was [Centeniall II] before or after STORM PETREL?

              Storm Petrel #337 is essentially a motor sailer, seaworthy and coastal.

              Centenenial II #332 was designed to be the minimum seaworthy
              boat, [in therory at least], capable to cross the Atlantic
              in reasonable safety (you wouldn't catch me doing it). Oar auxillary.

              http://hallman.org/bolger/Centenial2/

              I bet they were both designed within a month or two of each other.
            • John B. Trussell
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 2, 2004
                I've had daggerboards on two Windmills and a Scooner. Both boats had boards of unballasted plywood, and raising/lowering them did not take any great effort.

                Advantages: the dagger board case is shorter than a centerboard case. It is, therefore, easier to make watertight. The slot is shorter with a dagger board than with a centerboard and a db case is less likely to spit water. Being shorter, a db case takes up less room inside the boat than a cb case. Db cases are often higher (going all the way to the deck line) than cb cases, and this really helps in trying to bail a totally swamped boat (where a cb case will let water in as fast as you bail).

                Disadvantages: When you run aground, either the boat stops really fast and/or you bust the board or possibly spring the db case. Daggerboards stick up above the deck line when raised by the same amount they stick down below the bottom when lowered. This is not a problem with a schooner, but an unexpected jibe with the db up on a sloop rigged boat can be real exciting. And wet. But the boat is easier to bail out afterwords:>)

                When I was contemplating His and Hers Schooners, I thought it might be possible to build teeth into the edge of the daggerboard and use a screw jack to raise and lower it. So long as the project is in a fantasizing stage, it seems like a workable solution...

                John T
                > Was [Centeniall II] before or after STORM PETREL?

                Storm Petrel #337 is essentially a motor sailer, seaworthy and coastal.

                Centenenial II #332 was designed to be the minimum seaworthy
                boat, [in therory at least], capable to cross the Atlantic
                in reasonable safety (you wouldn't catch me doing it). Oar auxillary.

                http://hallman.org/bolger/Centenial2/

                I bet they were both designed within a month or two of each other.

                Bolger rules!!!

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor