Re: [bolger] Sneakeasy response

  • Roger Derby
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2004
      Doesn't your Kitchen rudder allow a setting between forward and reverse that
      "spills the wind?"

      Roger
      derbyrm@...
      http://derbyrm.mystarband.net/default.htm

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2004
        Sure does but the pressure on the lever enough that after a minute or two it becomes very difficult to hold. I need to rig up some sort of a device to hold the clam shell adjustment lever stationary but it'll have to be adjustable to match the throttle position. Neutral at one throttle setting is not the same for another. The more thrust developed the tighter the clamshells need to be closed.

        I'm working on such a device that I hope to install for next season.

        Jeff

        > Nothing at full speed but from a visual side you can't tell the
        > difference. So far the best I can get is 12.75 MPH measured by GPS.
        >
        > Handling is just fine but she does turn a bit slow due to her length. Not
        > a problem, just a adaptation when coming in to the dock. My biggest
        > problem is getting her to go slow. 4.5 MPH is her minimum speed at idle.
        > I have to constantly hold the kitchen rudder in a near neutral position
        > when loading or docking.

        Bolger rules!!!
        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Howard Stephenson
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2004
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <boatbuilding@g...> wrote:
          > I need to rig up some sort of a device to hold the clam shell
          >adjustment lever stationary but it'll have to be adjustable to match
          >the throttle position.

          My small outboard motor has a combined throttle-gearchange in the one
          twist-grip that only allows neutral at one throttle setting. There is
          a separate idle adjustment lever, but I don't need to touch it.

          Why would you need neutral at any other engine speed than idle?

          Howard
        • Roger Derby
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 1, 2004
            That sounds like a good place for a worm gear (old satellite dish actuator?)
            or a hydraulic control.

            Roger
            derbyrm@...
            http://derbyrm.mystarband.net/default.htm

            > Sure does but the pressure on the lever enough that after a minute
            > or two it becomes very difficult to hold. I need to rig up some sort
            > of a device to hold the clam shell adjustment lever stationary but
            > it'll have to be adjustable to match the throttle position. Neutral
            > at one throttle setting is not the same for another. The more
            > thrust developed the tighter the clamshells need to be closed.
            >
            > I'm working on such a device that I hope to install for next season.
            >
            > Jeff

          • Jeff
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 1, 2004
              Neutral itself certainly would be at idle only. It's when your are moving between reverse and forward trying to dock or load on the trailer. You need about 1/3 throttle to have a reverse, 1/2 throttle is better.

              At idle full reverse is very slow if at all. When coming into a busy dock / ramp area it is more comforting to have the throttle advanced and use the clamshell lever to control speed.

              You just gave me an idea on the throttle. Maybe I could put a twist throttle on the control lever. That way with one hand I could jockey the lever and adjust the throttle. Something like helicopter pitch control. Add a bias spring to help balance the forces on the lever could solve the muscle cramps.

              Jeff
              >I need to rig up some sort of a device to hold the clam shell
              >adjustment lever stationary but it'll have to be adjustable to match
              the throttle position.

              My small outboard motor has a combined throttle-gearchange in the one
              twist-grip that only allows neutral at one throttle setting. There is
              a separate idle adjustment lever, but I don't need to touch it.

              Why would you need neutral at any other than engine speed than idle?

              Howard

              Bolger rules!!!
              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Lincoln Ross
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 1, 2004
                Most engines I've used don't idle at the same speed cold that they do warm.

                >Howard Stephenson wrote:
                >
                >--- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <boatbuilding@g...> wrote:
                >

                >>> I need to rig up some sort of a device to hold the clam shell
                >>>adjustment lever stationary but it'll have to be adjustable to match
                >>>the throttle position.
                >>

                >My small outboard motor has a combined throttle-gearchange in the one
                >twist-grip that only allows neutral at one throttle setting. There is
                >a separate idle adjustment lever, but I don't need to touch it.
                >
                >Why would you need neutral at any other engine speed than idle?
                >
                >Howard

              • Philip Smith
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 1, 2004
                  How about a motorcycle twist grip?