deisel outboard motor?

  • Mark mirski
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2004
      With all this talk of bio-deisel discussion, has any one experienced any
      of these small deisel outboard motors?
      http://www.morganequipment.net/page4.html

      Mark
    • John B. Trussell
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2004
        A long time ago "Small Boat Journal" had an article on Chinese diesel out boards. As I recall, the thrust of the article was that the outboard they used was heavt, noisy, and had a lot of vibration. That was at least 20 years ago, and the new ones may be different..

        John T
        With all this talk of bio-deisel discussion, has any one experienced any
        of these small deisel outboard motors?
        http://www.morganequipment.net/page4.html

        Mark

        Bolger rules!!!

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2004
          http://www.chinadiesel.com/images/170/170%20Out%20board%20full%20from%20left.jpg

          http://tinyurl.com/6r5mx

          http://www.chinadiesel.com/

          Shows their 'high thrust' outboard motor which has
          long intrigued me, and the price is right.
        • Howard Stephenson
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2004

            > http://www.chinadiesel.com/
            >
            > Shows their 'high thrust' outboard motor which has
            > long intrigued me, and the price is right.

            ... but mind your fingers!

            There are inboard diesels at the same site. Bolger's Miniature Steel
            Tug was designed around a 30 h.p. Chinese version. He said he'd seen
            one installed; he, and others better qualified that he thought they
            looked "an excellent job of engineering".

            He also commented about the low price coming out of the hides of the
            workers. These days, the people left behind in the rural villages are
            worse off than those with jobs -- but I suppose some of the money
            gained from foreign sales gets back to them.

            Howard
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 2, 2004
              > Tug was designed around a 30 h.p. Chinese version.

              I would bet that 25% of the diesel engines in
              the world are China Diesels. I love Bolger's
              Miniature Diesel Tug, Bolgeresque for being
              made just short enough to avoid taxes.
            • steelcb
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
                Just looked at that Morgan Equipment site and went to the diesel
                outboard link. They have a 6 hp and a 10 hp. The weight of the 10hp
                is a whopping 165lbs and the 6hp model is 132lbs! The power is
                certainly there, but I wouldn't want to put one of those on a boat of
                a size calling for a 6 or 10 hp outboard. That's about twice the
                weight of a comparable 2 stroke. Also, one would find taking such an
                outboard on or off the boat to be impractical unless there is a small
                crane on your dock or you are built like the governor of California.

                The Chinese initially developed the diesel outboard with having one on
                the transom of a heavy fishing boat that would tow other fishing boats
                to and from the fishing grounds. At least when I looked at the China
                diesel site a year ago, that's what they were describing as a good use.

                As much as I would like to get a diesel outboard(just for the
                increased safety in fuel handling, not to mention economy) I'm going
                to have to stick with, at most, a small 4 stroke.

                Tom Pannell
                Tulls Bay, NC
              • Mark mirski
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
                  Hi* *Tom Pannell
                  I just copied this from the morgan diesel page and it appears to me that
                  the 5hp weighs only 63lbs.
                  Am I missing something?
                  Respectfully,
                  Mark Mirski anshin@...
                  _*
                  Diesel Outboard*_/
                  /http://www.morganequipment.net/page4.html
                  *SHAFT LENGTH */20" /
                  *WEIGHT *63lbs (ship weight 89lbs)* OUTPUT POWER
                  */*5HP(3.7kW)/3600rpm*/* IDLING SPEED */*1800rpm*/*
                  ENGINE MODE */*AIRCOOLED, 4 STROKE*/*
                  DISPLACEMENT */*163 cc*/*
                  FUEL VOLUME */*2.L*/*
                  OIL VOLUME */*0.65L
                  */*IGNITION MODE */*INDUCTIVE FIRING*/*
                  FUEL CONSUMPTION */*395 g/kWh*/*
                  STARTING MODE */*MANUAL*/*
                  GEAR MODE */*SHAFT GEARING*/*
                  GEAR RATIO */*1.46
                  */*STEERING */*TILLER*/*
                  GEAR SHIFT */*Forward & Neutral
                  */*GEAR OIL VOLUME */*0.2L*/*
                  */* *//*$599.00*/
                  /___________________________________________________
                  "steelcb wrote:/

                  >/
                  >Just looked at that Morgan Equipment site and went to the diesel
                  >outboard link. They have a 6 hp and a 10 hp. The weight of the 10hp
                  >is a whopping 165lbs and the 6hp model is 132lbs! The power is
                  >certainly there, but I wouldn't want to put one of those on a boat of
                  >a size calling for a 6 or 10 hp outboard. That's about twice the
                  >weight of a comparable 2 stroke. Also, one would find taking such an
                  >outboard on or off the boat to be impractical unless there is a small
                  >crane on your dock or you are built like the governor of California.
                  >
                  >The Chinese initially developed the diesel outboard with having one on
                  >the transom of a heavy fishing boat that would tow other fishing boats
                  >to and from the fishing grounds. At least when I looked at the China
                  >diesel site a year ago, that's what they were describing as a good use.
                  >
                  >As much as I would like to get a diesel outboard(just for the
                  >increased safety in fuel handling, not to mention economy) I'm going
                  >to have to stick with, at most, a small 4 stroke.
                  >
                  >Tom Pannell
                  >Tulls Bay, NC"/
                  >

                  >.

                • Mark mirski
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
                    Hello again Mr, Pannell

                    I just answered my own question by actually paying attention to what is
                    written on the page I was copying.

                    The motor mentioned below is gasoline powered, not diesel.

                    However it is a good price.

                    Thank you for your reply

                    Mark Mirski
                    _________________________________
                    Mark mirski wrote:

                    >Hi* *Tom Pannell
                    >I just copied this from the morgan diesel page and it appears to me that
                    >the 5hp weighs only 63lbs.
                    >Am I missing something? http://www.morganequipment.net/page4.html
                    >Respectfully,
                    >Mark Mirski anshin@...
                    >

                    >.

                  • Harry James
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 8, 2004
                      A while back on this group (2 years?) a member panned china diesel, said
                      that current management didn't do as good a job of checking quality
                      control as previously. As I remember the discussion these engines are
                      kind of a standard with 10's of thousands of units built. Some
                      manufactures did better than others.

                      HJ