Re: Bio-deisel

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 30, 2004
      Ah, infrastructure...
      http://www.gobiodiesel.org/tiki-index.php
      http://biodieselblog.com/
      http://www.biodieselwarehouse.com/

      Alas, it still won't solve that pesky CO2 emission problem. And even the very advanced
      German diesel cars may still be pretty sooty otherwise.
      Mark

      Sam Glasscock wrote:

      > Bio Diesel is a neat idea and appeals to me for a
      > variety of reasons (it's cheap, green and appeals to
      > my scrounger instincts). If it were to be used on a
      > large scale, however, the waste-oil source from fryers
      > would quickly be exhausted, and if crops were grown
      > explicitly for bio-diesel use, it wouldn't cost 20
      > cents/gallon for long.g
    • Mark mirski
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2004
        With all this talk of bio-deisel discussion, has any one experienced any
        of these small deisel outboard motors?
        http://www.morganequipment.net/page4.html

        Mark
      • John B. Trussell
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2004
          A long time ago "Small Boat Journal" had an article on Chinese diesel out boards. As I recall, the thrust of the article was that the outboard they used was heavt, noisy, and had a lot of vibration. That was at least 20 years ago, and the new ones may be different..

          John T
          With all this talk of bio-deisel discussion, has any one experienced any
          of these small deisel outboard motors?
          http://www.morganequipment.net/page4.html

          Mark

          Bolger rules!!!

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2004
            http://www.chinadiesel.com/images/170/170%20Out%20board%20full%20from%20left.jpg

            http://tinyurl.com/6r5mx

            http://www.chinadiesel.com/

            Shows their 'high thrust' outboard motor which has
            long intrigued me, and the price is right.
          • Howard Stephenson
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 2, 2004

              > http://www.chinadiesel.com/
              >
              > Shows their 'high thrust' outboard motor which has
              > long intrigued me, and the price is right.

              ... but mind your fingers!

              There are inboard diesels at the same site. Bolger's Miniature Steel
              Tug was designed around a 30 h.p. Chinese version. He said he'd seen
              one installed; he, and others better qualified that he thought they
              looked "an excellent job of engineering".

              He also commented about the low price coming out of the hides of the
              workers. These days, the people left behind in the rural villages are
              worse off than those with jobs -- but I suppose some of the money
              gained from foreign sales gets back to them.

              Howard
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 2, 2004
                > Tug was designed around a 30 h.p. Chinese version.

                I would bet that 25% of the diesel engines in
                the world are China Diesels. I love Bolger's
                Miniature Diesel Tug, Bolgeresque for being
                made just short enough to avoid taxes.
              • steelcb
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
                  Just looked at that Morgan Equipment site and went to the diesel
                  outboard link. They have a 6 hp and a 10 hp. The weight of the 10hp
                  is a whopping 165lbs and the 6hp model is 132lbs! The power is
                  certainly there, but I wouldn't want to put one of those on a boat of
                  a size calling for a 6 or 10 hp outboard. That's about twice the
                  weight of a comparable 2 stroke. Also, one would find taking such an
                  outboard on or off the boat to be impractical unless there is a small
                  crane on your dock or you are built like the governor of California.

                  The Chinese initially developed the diesel outboard with having one on
                  the transom of a heavy fishing boat that would tow other fishing boats
                  to and from the fishing grounds. At least when I looked at the China
                  diesel site a year ago, that's what they were describing as a good use.

                  As much as I would like to get a diesel outboard(just for the
                  increased safety in fuel handling, not to mention economy) I'm going
                  to have to stick with, at most, a small 4 stroke.

                  Tom Pannell
                  Tulls Bay, NC
                • Mark mirski
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
                    Hi* *Tom Pannell
                    I just copied this from the morgan diesel page and it appears to me that
                    the 5hp weighs only 63lbs.
                    Am I missing something?
                    Respectfully,
                    Mark Mirski anshin@...
                    _*
                    Diesel Outboard*_/
                    /http://www.morganequipment.net/page4.html
                    *SHAFT LENGTH */20" /
                    *WEIGHT *63lbs (ship weight 89lbs)* OUTPUT POWER
                    */*5HP(3.7kW)/3600rpm*/* IDLING SPEED */*1800rpm*/*
                    ENGINE MODE */*AIRCOOLED, 4 STROKE*/*
                    DISPLACEMENT */*163 cc*/*
                    FUEL VOLUME */*2.L*/*
                    OIL VOLUME */*0.65L
                    */*IGNITION MODE */*INDUCTIVE FIRING*/*
                    FUEL CONSUMPTION */*395 g/kWh*/*
                    STARTING MODE */*MANUAL*/*
                    GEAR MODE */*SHAFT GEARING*/*
                    GEAR RATIO */*1.46
                    */*STEERING */*TILLER*/*
                    GEAR SHIFT */*Forward & Neutral
                    */*GEAR OIL VOLUME */*0.2L*/*
                    */* *//*$599.00*/
                    /___________________________________________________
                    "steelcb wrote:/

                    >/
                    >Just looked at that Morgan Equipment site and went to the diesel
                    >outboard link. They have a 6 hp and a 10 hp. The weight of the 10hp
                    >is a whopping 165lbs and the 6hp model is 132lbs! The power is
                    >certainly there, but I wouldn't want to put one of those on a boat of
                    >a size calling for a 6 or 10 hp outboard. That's about twice the
                    >weight of a comparable 2 stroke. Also, one would find taking such an
                    >outboard on or off the boat to be impractical unless there is a small
                    >crane on your dock or you are built like the governor of California.
                    >
                    >The Chinese initially developed the diesel outboard with having one on
                    >the transom of a heavy fishing boat that would tow other fishing boats
                    >to and from the fishing grounds. At least when I looked at the China
                    >diesel site a year ago, that's what they were describing as a good use.
                    >
                    >As much as I would like to get a diesel outboard(just for the
                    >increased safety in fuel handling, not to mention economy) I'm going
                    >to have to stick with, at most, a small 4 stroke.
                    >
                    >Tom Pannell
                    >Tulls Bay, NC"/
                    >

                    >.

                  • Mark mirski
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
                      Hello again Mr, Pannell

                      I just answered my own question by actually paying attention to what is
                      written on the page I was copying.

                      The motor mentioned below is gasoline powered, not diesel.

                      However it is a good price.

                      Thank you for your reply

                      Mark Mirski
                      _________________________________
                      Mark mirski wrote:

                      >Hi* *Tom Pannell
                      >I just copied this from the morgan diesel page and it appears to me that
                      >the 5hp weighs only 63lbs.
                      >Am I missing something? http://www.morganequipment.net/page4.html
                      >Respectfully,
                      >Mark Mirski anshin@...
                      >

                      >.

                    • Harry James
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 8, 2004
                        A while back on this group (2 years?) a member panned china diesel, said
                        that current management didn't do as good a job of checking quality
                        control as previously. As I remember the discussion these engines are
                        kind of a standard with 10's of thousands of units built. Some
                        manufactures did better than others.

                        HJ