Re: Repost From ANTISPRAY Builders

  • Peter Lenihan
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 27, 2004
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "elejon" <jmcdan@h...> wrote:
      > Feel free to ask questions or comment.
      >
      > John & Susan

      HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! ABSOLUTELYFLAMINGBEAUTIFUL!!!!!!
      Mighty impressive John and Susan.Can't say if your "shop" or the
      actual boat is doing it to me but both are damned impressive to say
      the very least.
      It looks like you might be able to set up a production run in that
      shop,it is so,so...er whats the word...perfect!
      Equally revealing is the amount of set up work you've done before
      even cutting your first piece of steel.It must represent a goodly
      chunk of up front cash(and lots of sweat labour!) and this is surely
      something other/future Big Bolger Boat Builders should keep firmly
      in mind while contemplating the costs of a given design.
      I'll bet there must be days when you both wish it would just all
      come together as easily as your scale model of her :-)
      Continued success and please feel free to pleasure us with more
      pictures and/or extracts from your builders journal.....you are
      keeping a journal I(we) hope :-)

      Sincerely,

      Peter Lenihan,who,when recalling much early pictures of John,detects
      a distinctly "younger" looking John in these latest pictures and
      suspects John may have fell upon the perfect rejuvinative
      therapy.....at least your looking younger in the pictures John:-)
    • juanco63
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2016
        Hi,everyone, I'm trying to find construction photos of Antispray 48. I've found a message with a link in Bolger 4 files but it does not work. Any help will be appreciated.
        Best regards.
        Juan Carlos Guilarte
      • phil.bolger
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2016
          Has any been built ?
          One was started in Indiana but no hull-shell was completed if memory serves.
          Where have you heard about her ?

          Susanne

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 1, 2016
            I've just found some pics of a scale model in Bolger 2, and seaching here and there I've found an old chat in Bolger 4 where the builders said that they put some photos in the file section, but the files are not there. I just try to gather info about this interesting boat.
            Rgds.
          • phil.bolger
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 1, 2016
              Juan,
                 we never published much of the final version of Design #642 ANTISPRAY-48.
              As a go-near-anywhere steel liveaboard (48’ x 12’6” x 2’4”)  what made her an initial challenge was the coherent solutions necessary to develop to make a stout steel-hull a viable 4-season envelope via an advanced insulation and ventilation approach.
              She is the first of three successively bigger steel types to allow full access of nearly every square-inch of her steel-hull’s interior surface to keep an eye on emerging rust and treating it successfully.
              There are quite a few steel-hulls out there, but with few offering a coherent approach to thermal performance and long-term hull-maintenance.
              She will be discussed in a dedicated book on Bolger’s Steel Designs.

              Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

              Sent: Saturday, October 01, 2016 9:42 PM

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 1, 2016
                Thank you for your quick response. Very kind of you.
                Have a nice day.
                JC
              • phil.bolger
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 2, 2016
                  Juan,
                       what interested you in her ?
                  Built in steel, she should be one of the most able full-time liveaboard sailing-cruisers, assuming you’d invest in careful installation of that insulation-system.
                  Built in plywood/epoxy/fiberglass/foam construction, she’d need a copper/bronze-plate belly-cladding for ballast plus ice-belt sheathing up to at last 12” above waterline for more serious ice-conditions movement through the water, but could then offer better R-value yet for iced-in liveaboard duty, and might come to be sinking-resistant indeed !

                  She is one (more or less) end-point of a conceptual development arc, Phil and then we pushed forward hard, likely ‘the standard’ for a most serious sailing cruiser.

                  Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

                  Sent: Saturday, October 01, 2016 11:39 PM