best rowing boat

  • bobmas473
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 22, 2004
      I'm new to boats and building them, but would like to try my hand at
      building a light, car-toppable good fast Bolger type fixed- seat
      rowboat for exercize. I would primarilly use it on lakes and
      protected bays, but conceivably a good chop might come up
      occasionally. Something relatively fast so that it keeps me
      motovated but still a boat rather than a scull. Any and all
      suggestions appreciated. Thanks/Bob
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 22, 2004
        bobmas473
        > I'm new to boats and building them, but would like to try my hand at
        > building a light, car-toppable good fast Bolger type fixed- seat
        > rowboat for exercize.

        "Bolger type" means different things to different people.
        The row boat that Phil Bolger personally owns and uses
        [which says a lot] is his design "Spur II". It is built
        with plywood plank on plywood frames, and might be
        a bit much as a 'first boat', but you could do it if you are
        a talented carpenter or handyman.

        What is your definition of "Bolger Type"?
      • bobmas473
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 22, 2004
          > bobmas473
          >
          > What is your definition of "Bolger Type"?

          1/4 inch plywood, taped epoxy seams, functional and durable and maybe
          designed by Bolger//Bob
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 22, 2004
            > > What is your definition of "Bolger Type"?
            >
            > 1/4 inch plywood, taped epoxy seams, functional and durable and maybe
            > designed by Bolger//Bob

            I would recommend the Bolger Gloucester Gull dory,
            or perhaps Jim Michalak's Roar II.
          • bobmas473
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 22, 2004

              > I would recommend the Bolger Gloucester Gull dory,
              > or perhaps Jim Michalak's Roar II.

              Thanks, those look very good to me too. //Bob
            • Susan Davis
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 22, 2004
                > I'm new to boats and building them, but would like to try my hand at
                > building a light, car-toppable good fast Bolger type fixed- seat
                > rowboat for exercize. I would primarilly use it on lakes and
                > protected bays, but conceivably a good chop might come up
                > occasionally. Something relatively fast so that it keeps me
                > motivated but still a boat rather than a scull.

                The Gloucester Gull (or "Gloucester Light Dory") fits all of the
                above requirements perfectly; I have one, and love it. She's too
                much to cartop by yourself, and I only just discovered the trick
                of lifting her without having her be too awkward, but she'll
                cartop if you have a helper or two, and she's fast, easy to row,
                and stands up to chop very well. And you can take your helper
                or two, plus a picnic lunch, along with you when you row.

                The downside is that you have to build a jig for her. If you
                can find a friend who also wants one, and build two or three from
                the same jig, the time invested in the jig isn't too much. Gavin
                Atkin also has a set of free plans for his "Doris" dory that
                strongly resembles the Gull, but doesn't require a jig. Michalak
                also has a dory, but the sheer is too low, making her more of a
                protected-water-only boat.

                --
                Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
              • Susan Davis
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 22, 2004
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "bobmas473" <Maselek_Robert@E...> wrote:
                  > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Hallman <bruce@h...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > What is your definition of "Bolger Type"?
                  >
                  > 1/4 inch plywood, taped epoxy seams, functional and durable and maybe
                  > designed by Bolger//Bob

                  I taped the chines on my Gull, and the stem as well. If I had it to
                  do over, I'd tape the stem, but use chine logs for the chines. The
                  stem that the plans call for requires some skillful bandsaw work on a
                  spendy piece of hardwood to come out right, but the bow is sharp
                  enough that a decent fillet of epoxy behind some tape will be very
                  strong, and much easier to make. By contrast, the obtuse angle of the
                  chines doesn't give you much extra strength; your seams will still
                  come out watertight, but without the stiffness that the chine logs
                  add, and taped seams are much more work than chine logs if you have a
                  table saw or Skilsaw handy.

                  The stiffness is especially important if you're building from 1/4"
                  rather than 3/8" -- my boat seems to be holding up well enough, but
                  she's very flexible, enough so that I worry about gunwale fatigue.
                  I'm half-considering adding an inwale at some point, to stiffen the
                  boat and to keep her from flooding when she leans over on one of her
                  topsides.

                  -- Sue --
                  (mine is also sheathed in 5 oz. Xynole, which may be helping to hold
                  her together)

                  --
                  Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 22, 2004
                    > Gavin Atkin also has a set of free plans for his "Doris" dory that
                    > strongly resembles the Gull, but doesn't require a jig.

                    Located in the gmaboatbuilders Yahoo group.

                    If you are joined to that group already, this link should work:

                    http://tinyurl.com/5bwry
                  • pvanderwaart
                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 22, 2004
                      Depending on how much rowing performance you think you need, there
                      are Surf, June Bug, Sweet Pea, and Crystal.

                      Among non-Bolger boats, there is Welsford's Seagull:
                      http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/store/plans/jw/seagull/index.htm

                      and some at Boat Plans on-line:
                      http://boatplans-online.com/products.php?id=10
                    • Harry James
                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 22, 2004
                        On the 3 Gull dories we built summer before last we taped 2 stems and
                        used a solid stem for a third. We used chine logs on all. I found the
                        stem taping somewhat easier, the person who made the solid stem is a
                        skilled woodworker and she enjoyed the process. I became absolutely
                        convinced on this project that trying to save money using AC plywood is
                        not worth it.

                        HJ

                        >I taped the chines on my Gull, and the stem as well. If I had it to
                        >do over, I'd tape the stem, but use chine logs for the chines. The
                        >stem that the plans call for requires some skillful bandsaw work on a
                        >spendy piece of hardwood to come out right, but the bow is sharp
                        >enough that a decent fillet of epoxy behind some tape will be very
                        >strong, and much easier to make. By contrast, the obtuse angle of the
                        >chines doesn't give you much extra strength; your seams will still
                        >come out watertight, but without the stiffness that the chine logs
                        >add, and taped seams are much more work than chine logs if you have a
                        >table saw or Skilsaw handy.

                      • Bruce Hector
                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 22, 2004
                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "bobmas473" <Maselek_Robert@E...>
                          wrote: "would like to try my hand at building a light, car-toppable
                          good fast Bolger type fixed- seat rowboat for exercize."

                          Hi Bob,

                          Let me chime in with a recomendation for John Welsford's Seagull,
                          plans from Duckworks at:
                          http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/store/plans/jw/seagull/index.htm

                          In my opinion, a great rowboat, fast, stable, load carrier and very
                          sleek. The slightly smaller Setnet Dinghy of his is an easier
                          cartop, but I mange the Seagull on roof racks with a helper.

                          Bruce Hector
                        • Howard Stephenson
                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 22, 2004
                            Bob,

                            I wouldn't go past Gypsy. See http://www.instantboats.com/gypsy.htm
                            It's meant to be propelled by sail, outboard or oars. Re the photo of
                            the man you see there rowing it: the caption in the book (see below)
                            says he rowed it from Pleasant Beach to Beals Island, Maine, a
                            distance of 100 miles. Doesn't say how many days, though.

                            It requires 5 or 6 sheets of 1/4" ply to build it tack-and-tape.
                            There are over 20 pages of building instructions, with numerous
                            photos and drawings, in Payson's "Build the New Instant Boats". If
                            you want it for rowing only, you'd save quite a lot of time by not
                            having to build the centreboard case, rudder etc. And if you changed
                            your mind later, you could always convert it for sailing.

                            Payson says the hull weighs 150lb without the sailing rig but, I
                            suppose, with the centreboard case. Not sure whether that's a
                            feasible cartopper.

                            Howard

                            wrote:
                            > I'm new to boats and building them, but would like to try my hand
                            at
                            > building a light, car-toppable good fast Bolger type fixed- seat
                            > rowboat for exercize. I would primarilly use it on lakes and
                            > protected bays, but conceivably a good chop might come up
                            > occasionally. Something relatively fast so that it keeps me
                            > motovated but still a boat rather than a scull. Any and all
                            > suggestions appreciated. Thanks/Bob
                          • Gabriel McAtee
                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 22, 2004
                              Yeah, for what it's worth, a buddy of mine built Gypsy up at Great Lakes
                              Naval Training Center (just North of Chicago, IL), which he
                              sailed/paddled/motored a lot in Lake Michigan. We were stationed up there
                              from Dec through the following November, and he started construction in
                              January, finished in March, and did a whole lot of boating (mostly fishing)
                              between mid-April and mid-November. He never had any problems, no matter
                              the weather, with the exception of a storm that blew in from the NW when he
                              was King Salmon fishing. His little 2.5HP outboard couldn't push the boat
                              into the wind and waves until he unstepped the mast, which he promptly lost
                              overboard along with his sails, much to his dismay... On the other hand,
                              getting back to shore safely was his main concern, so it was all good!

                              wrote:
                              > I'm new to boats and building them, but would like to try my hand
                              at
                              > building a light, car-toppable good fast Bolger type fixed- seat
                              > rowboat for exercize. I would primarilly use it on lakes and protected
                              > bays, but conceivably a good chop might come up occasionally.
                              > Something relatively fast so that it keeps me motovated but still a
                              > boat rather than a scull. Any and all suggestions appreciated.
                              > Thanks/Bob

                              http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/_0TolB/TM
                              Yahoo! Groups Links
                            • Lincoln Ross
                              Message 14 of 28 , Sep 22, 2004
                                If I wanted a fast rowing boat and needed to handle moderate but not
                                severe waves, I would give a serious look to several of the Michalak
                                rowing boats. They are pretty simple and on some an attempt is made at a
                                long waterline and at light weight.

                                If I needed the rough water ability, I might consider Bolger's Light
                                Dory Type 5, or maybe Crystal. I do think about building the Type 5
                                often, and getting rid of the misshapen (due to construction error) Roar
                                2. I find the Roar 2 pretty easy to cartop, but it probably depends on
                                how it's built.

                                The Welsford Seagull seemed one smidgeon slower than some skinnier
                                boats, but it's a lot faster if the other, less stable boat tips over.
                                Probably not a problem unless someone does something dumb, and I
                                definitely liked the Seagull that Bruce built. Much calmer changing
                                places underway.

                                I'll bet none of these boats are as fast as my Mom's Pisquataqua Wherry,
                                but I don't think they'd let any of us use the mold, and the price from
                                the manufacturer is high. Also, all that fiberglass is quite heavy.

                                Lincoln Ross
                              • John B. Trussell
                                Message 15 of 28 , Sep 22, 2004
                                  There are a huge number of choices, Michalak offers a nunmber of his own designs plus syitch and glue versions of Pete Culler's Otter and the 17 ft Hereshoff row boat. Bolger offers the Light Dory/Gloucester Gull Dory, Spur II, Thomaston Galley, Crystal, etc. etc. Ian Oughtred offers skiffs, dories, and faerings (his Elf is exquisite). And there are many others as well. You need to decide what kind of water you will be rowing in, how many people you want to carry, what sort of use you're planning (rowing--fishing--cruising....) and choose the boat that you think might work. Bolger's Gloucester Gull and Oughtred's Elf will probably meet most of your wants.

                                  John T
[...]

                                  Bolger rules!!!

                                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                • Thierry
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Sep 22, 2004
                                    I built a couple of 12' Teals by Bolger this summer. Easy to build,
                                    easy to cartop, easy to row. We sail them too with a leeboard.
                                    Good in a chop rowing alone. I do 3.3 knots without effort on a mile,
                                    as good as a seakayak. Even the seat as designed is OK with a piece
                                    of foam as a cushion
                                    Cost me CAN$250 each including tarp sail and oars.
                                    Cheers
                                    Thierry
                                  • Bruce Hector
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Sep 22, 2004
                                      I think the consencus is there is no "best" rowing boat.

                                      All the ones suggested are "very good" rowing boats, and fit your
                                      published needs.

                                      After this, it becomes a matter of taste and preference.

                                      Build one, (or more, it does tend to become addictive) post photos
                                      and bring it to a messabout where you can try others.

                                      Welcome to the club!

                                      Bruce Hector
                                      Anticipating trying a new rowboat soon.
                                    • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Sep 22, 2004
                                        To that list should be added Gypsy. She's a real slippery shape. One of the
                                        first Gypsies built didn't have a sailing rig and was taken on a long rowing
                                        voyage which was chronicled in Small Boat Journal:

                                        On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 17:59:36 -0000, Peter wrote:

                                        > Depending on how much rowing performance you think you need, there
                                        > are Surf, June Bug, Sweet Pea, and Crystal.

                                        John <jkohnen@...>
                                        http://www.boat-links.com/
                                        One boat just leads to another.
                                        <John Kohnen>
                                      • Nels
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Sep 22, 2004
                                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, jhkohnen@b... wrote:
                                          > > Depending on how much rowing performance you think you need, there
                                          > > are Surf, June Bug, Sweet Pea, and Crystal.
                                          >
                                          > --
                                          > And CARTOPPER:-)
                                        • bobmas473
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Sep 23, 2004
                                            Thanks to everyone who replied. That is one of the best features of
                                            these lists. You can ask a question and get a multitude of great
                                            answers and information from people who know./Bob
                                          • Harry James
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Sep 23, 2004
                                              Both Gypsy and Cartopper are fine designs, but they are designed as
                                              sailing boats. They row well, but you should go for a boat designed for
                                              the purpose. I like the Bolger Dory (two in the back yard) or the
                                              Welsford Seagull.

                                              HJ

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Sep 23, 2004
                                                > Harry James <welshman@...> wrote:
                                                > Both Gypsy and Cartopper are fine designs, but they are designed as
                                                > sailing boats. They row well, but you should go for a boat designed for
                                                > the purpose.

                                                I estimate that building a Spur II would be just as easy
                                                as building a Gypsy or a Cartopper, and that the
                                                Spur II is a GREAT rowboat, where the other two
                                                are just great rowboats.
                                              • Sam Glasscock
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Sep 23, 2004
                                                  I've always been partial to Pooh Sticks, although the
                                                  design is not much of a load carrier, it is a
                                                  likeable-looking boat in pictures. Love to see one on
                                                  the water.

                                                  http://vote.yahoo.com
                                                • Philip Smith
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Sep 23, 2004
                                                    I asked Phil and Susanne what boat they'd recommend
                                                    for substantially the same purposes. I think they said
                                                    Crystal.

                                                    I knew I should have written it down.

                                                    They like and, I believe, Susanne built Spur II.
                                                    Perhaps Montgomery built Spur II. The builder wasn't a
                                                    topic of our conversation. Anyway Spur II was hanging
                                                    up in the basement with yet another boat inside her.
                                                    As I recall our conversation they thought that Spur II
                                                    was much more difficult to build.

                                                    I don't recall if either Crystal or Spur II would be
                                                    cartopable. I suspect that Spur II would be too heavy
                                                    and Crystal could be, especially if the watertight
                                                    compartments are fitted. (I hope I've got the design
                                                    name right.)

                                                    I got to preview the raw footage of the Birdwatcher
                                                    video. It is pretty amazing stuff. Great stability.
                                                    Susanne held down the mast head on the floating dock
                                                    and then released it with Phil aboard and standing on
                                                    the downhill or water side. Susanne released the
                                                    masthead. Birdwatcher righted and with two or three
                                                    mild oscillations was upright and stable and totally
                                                    dry. Phil pointed out that although the motor mount
                                                    was not designed in on Birdwatcher I, the motor mount
                                                    was totally dry even though it was on the wet side. If
                                                    the motor had been mounted, I suspect they took it off
                                                    before as they knew they were going to have her over
                                                    on her beam ends. The motor would have been dry too,
                                                    even in a knock down.

                                                    Birdwatcher rows well, with Phil at the oars. Phil is
                                                    a good oarsman but he's no spring chicken. Very
                                                    impressive boat. Phil believes that it is his most
                                                    important design. He likes Birdwatcher better than
                                                    Birdwatcher II but he's enamored with minimalism. They
                                                    are happy with the sales of plans.

                                                    Phil Smith

                                                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/_0TolB/TM

                                                    > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, or
                                                    > flogging dead horses
                                                    > thanks, Fred' posts
                                                    > - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts,
                                                    > and snip away
                                                    > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209,
                                                    > Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
                                                    > - Open discussion:
                                                    > bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                                  • pvanderwaart
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Sep 23, 2004
                                                      > I don't recall if either Crystal or Spur II would be
                                                      > cartopable. I suspect that Spur II would be too heavy
                                                      > and Crystal could be, especially if the watertight
                                                      > compartments are fitted.

                                                      William Garden set 100 lbs as the upper limit for a boat to be rowed
                                                      purely for recreational pleasure. I'm sure the "lifeboat" version of
                                                      Crystal would be very close, if not well over that limit.

                                                      Peter
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Sep 23, 2004
                                                        > I don't recall if either Crystal or Spur II would be
                                                        > cartopable. I suspect that Spur II would be too heavy

                                                        My Spur II is heavy, but under 100 lbs. I cartop it,
                                                        and can carry it single handed by balancing it
                                                        upside down across my shoulders under the
                                                        center seat acting like a yoke. The 16 feet
                                                        of length is trouble with any wind, and I have
                                                        a custom L shaped device in my trailer hitch
                                                        to support the stern end because it is longer than
                                                        the roof of my car.
                                                      • Robin Badenoch
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Oct 4 4:21 AM
                                                          Hi Thierry,
                                                          How does Teal performan under sail quick and steady etc. We are getting back to dinghy sailing in my club and it looks like the ideal boat for rowing/sailing to join the fun.

                                                          Rob B
                                                          Adelaide
                                                          South Australia

                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Oct 4 6:35 PM
                                                            Hello Rob B

                                                            We all are happy about the Teals but we tend to be happy in general
                                                            too.
                                                            My kids 13 and 11 sail one while I stand watch under oar power in the
                                                            other one. They love the boat. I plan to change the rudder to a kick-
                                                            up rudder because that is the only thing sticking under the boat. At
                                                            the present the lee-board hungs over the side with a retaining strop
                                                            threaded in the middle of the frame so when we tack we have to tack
                                                            the leeboard too which is a bit wet but OK otherwise. I might hinge
                                                            it on a bolt stuck in the middle of the side.
                                                            I rigged the Teal as a standing lugger with a 65 sqft sail which is a
                                                            lot and no boom which is nice against clutter but slightly unstable
                                                            down wind. I was watching my kids starting a death roll last week-end
                                                            but the helmsman was excellent and jibed without mishap.
                                                            I was sailing the other day with my wife and the boat is adequate
                                                            even with 2 adults (we are light weight people at 120 kg).
                                                            I rowed 6 nautical miles on the coast the other day in less than 2
                                                            hours without effort. I think that a good performance for a little
                                                            boat like the Teal.

                                                            Cheers
                                                            Thierry
                                                            Lunenburg, Nova Scotia