Wisp

  • pvanderwaart
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 4, 2004
      I followed a lead from the boats-for-sale pages of WoodenBoat to here:
      http://www.cullisonsmallcraft.com/pastpage.htm where there is a
      picture of the 20' Bolger double-ender. There are some other Bolger
      boats farther down the page.

      Peter
    • calfee20
      Message 2 of 9 , May 25, 2009
        Does anyone have any practical experience with this boat? Building, sailing or any photos of a completed one.

        I will appreciate any responses ................. Tom C
        Message 3 of 9 , May 25, 2009
          On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 12:08 PM, calfee20 <calfee20@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone have any practical experience with this boat? Building, sailing
          > or any photos of a completed one.
          >
          > I will appreciate any responses ................. Tom C

          Not much.

          There is the photo from MAIB V18 N18

          http://www.flickr.com/photos/hallman/3564187596/

          Also, I did a few isometric studies....

          http://www.flickr.com/photos/hallman/tags/wisp/
        • Harry James
          Message 4 of 9 , May 25, 2009
            http://www.quietwind.net/imgs/wisp.jpg

            HJ

            calfee20 wrote:
            > Does anyone have any practical experience with this boat? Building, sailing or any photos of a completed one.
            >
            > I will appreciate any responses ................. Tom C

          • second_floor_loft
            Message 5 of 9 , May 25, 2009
              Hello:

              I too am interested in the Wisp. I have plans for the craft and intend to start building later this year. I have searched to no avail for on line info. I think I have found two other references to it but not much in the way of information on construction of use.

              The isometric studies are certainly helpful. Thank you very much.

              Sincerely:
              Paul T
            • calfee20
              Message 6 of 9 , May 25, 2009
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "second_floor_loft" <second_floor_loft@...> wrote:

                > Hello:
                >
                > I too am interested in the Wisp. I have plans for the craft and intend to start building later this year. I have searched to no avail for on line info. I think I have found two other references to it but not much in the way of information on construction of use.
                >
                > The isometric studies are certainly helpful. Thank you very much.
                >
                > Sincerely:
                > Paul T

                Where did you get the plans? I got a book from the library "30 odd boats by Phil Bolger" and I photocopied the 5 or 6 pages on the wisp.
                The offsets were included but not much else for instructions. I am not experienced enough to build it just from this.

                Thanks for the photo links...............Tom C
              • james caldwell
                Message 7 of 9 , May 26, 2009
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "calfee20" <calfee20@...> wrote:

                  > Does anyone have any practical experience with this boat? Building, sailing or any photos of a completed one.
                  >
                  > I will appreciate any responses ................. Tom C

                  I built a Wisp 20 some years ago - from the book (30 Odd Boats) plans and used Gougeon Brothers book to help with the cold molding - sewed the sails using the math from the Sail Rite books. I thought that builing three trunks would be impossible, but thinking back, it wasn't that hard, thouigh I took care to get the bilge trunks parallel and on-center. The boat sails well, but is somewhat (intentionally) underpowered and does not do well in a short period chop. I have sailed it mostly around the Apostle Islands in Lake Superior but always have taken great care with the weather. The last trip I did was eight days with my daughter showing her why one really shouldn't do a lot of cruising on LS in an open boat (this was when I had started to think about building a Wish II, which she and I did, but that is another story)!!!?? The only other one I know of was built by Bolger's nephew - who tragically died of liver cancer before he could use it. I had sent PCB pictures and maintained a loose correspondence(God he will be MISSED !!!)
                  Jim
                • second_floor_loft
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 26, 2009
                    First, my condolences to Susanne and the family. What a wonderful career and body of work from Mr Bolger.

                    To Tom C:

                    "How are the plans? Enough detail or is a lot left to the builder?"

                    Tom:
                    I have limited boat building experience.. Strip built kayak, glued lap dory and SOF "Classic 12" designed by Platt Monfort. So, my answer is, in my case the I expect the build will offer some challenges but is doable. I have looked over the plans and find them pretty detailed. There are a few areas that leave me scratching my head, but I feel those will likely become self evident as the project progresses.

                    sincerely:
                    Paul T
                  • calfee20
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 26, 2009
                      > Tom:
                      > I have limited boat building experience.. Strip built kayak, glued lap dory and SOF "Classic 12" designed by Platt Monfort. So, my answer is, in my case the I expect the build will offer some challenges but is doable. I have looked over the plans and find them pretty detailed. There are a few areas that leave me scratching my head, but I feel those will likely become self evident as the project progresses.
                      >
                      > sincerely:
                      > Paul T

                      The boat is designed for cold molding but it could also be strip built. Which method are you planning to use.