Re: [bolger] Re: fitting polycarbonate?

  • juan negron
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 3, 2004
      Sounds like you guys are mixing up polycarbonate and plexiglas (aka
      acrylic). Polycarbonate is very hard to crack. You can beat on it and
      bend it without doing so, and I certainly can't recall any troubles with
      holes. It's good to use a slow feed rate, however, so it doesn't melt
      and freeze and grab your tools suddenly, which can do a real job on a
      bandsaw blade.

      Si seƱor. The stuff is tuff. Expensive but well worth it when the
      characteristics demand it. We use it for signage purpose when we need
      something to stand up to bored punk's abuse, for example. The usual
      problem is machining the stuff, as it is formulated precisely to
      prevent the same damages you are trying to inflict on it.

      PET is another of these materials ( the same used for soda bottles) ,
      although less rigid, and less scratch resistant.

      Both should state the U.V. resistance warranty, as not all are
      formulated for exterior use!

      We cut it with a jigsaw with a DeWalt cobalt steel Extreme blade, ref
      DT2144, for alu, plastics and fiberglass. These blades are great. As a
      matter of fact, lately we tend to buy DeWalt power tools as first
      choice. ( Standard Disclaimer : No relation to DeWalt... Bla, bla...)

      Juan.