Re: [bolger] Not A Bolger Boat....but,

  • Hugo Tyson
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 2, 2004
      Yes quite interesting.
      I've always admired William Garden's "Privateer" design but to build one, if you could get the plans from him, would take a massive amount of timber not to mention years of work!

      This design (Swiftsure ), while relatively simple looks very appealing, but for my tastes it would need to be enlarged by at least 25% (If not 50%) all over to about 21' 6" x 6' 8"(25%) then further stretched to about 30' for the addition of another mast to make her a Schooner. Then we would have basically a totally new design, which would be about twice as expensive to build, but the idea's interesting?

      Hugo Tyson, Launceston, Tasmania, Australia.
      woofers94401 <gregoryu@...> wrote:
      Does this look like fun, or what?

      http://www.jwboatdesigns.co.nz/plans/swiftsure/

      Greg

      Bolger rules!!!

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • boblq
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 2, 2004
        On Thursday 02 September 2004 06:53 pm, Hugo Tyson wrote:
        > Yes quite interesting.
        > I've always admired William Garden's "Privateer" design but to build
        > one, if you could get the plans from him, would take a massive amount of
        > timber not to mention years of work!
        >
        > This design (Swiftsure ), while relatively simple looks very appealing, but
        > for my tastes it would need to be enlarged by at least 25% (If not 50%) all
        > over to about 21' 6" x 6' 8"(25%) then further stretched to about 30' for
        > the addition of another mast to make her a Schooner. Then we would have
        > basically a totally new design, which would be about twice as expensive to
        > build, but the idea's interesting?
        >
        > Hugo Tyson, Launceston, Tasmania, Australia.
        > woofers94401 <gregoryu@...> wrote:
        > Does this look like fun, or what?
        >
        > http://www.jwboatdesigns.co.nz/plans/swiftsure/
        >

        > Greg

        LOL,

        I love the marketing,

        "Just imagine the silhouette as she comes into sight around the point at
        sunset, with flags flying, a miniature cannon and a crew outfitted in tricome
        hats and sailor's caps, this would be a great vehicle for a bunch of greying
        pirates out for fun on a sunny day."

        As a greying pirate I can appreciate the complete disconnect from
        reality this implies. Reality after all can be a real downer. My son,
        who is fifteen and cannot quite understand why I am building an
        absurd boat, nonetheless he sort of gets it when I show him this
        boat.

        for your amusement
        http://www.osocomm.com/Bob/banka.html

        Onward,

        Bob La Quey
      • Aaron Arguien
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 3, 2004
          got this from sailingtexas.com

          Don't miss this chance to meet New Zealand small boat designer John
          Welsford! He will be at Jacob's Creek Park on Canyon Lake for one day
          only - September 25th, 2004. It's an informal outdoor gathering so
          bring the kids and make a day of it. This is one of only two US stops
          on his around the world tour - don't miss it. For more details see the
          writeup in Duckworks online magazine

          That's canyon lake texas...y'all...

          A2

        • brnhope
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 3, 2004
            > "Don't miss this chance to meet New Zealand small boat designer
            John
            > Welsford! He will be at Jacob's Creek Park on Canyon Lake for one
            day
            > only
            That's canyon lake texas...y'all..."

            Where's Texas?
            From Brian Hope, England, a small island off the east coast of
            America.
          • Aaron Arguien
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
              That's not funny....;)

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "brnhope" <brian@j...> wrote:

              > > "Don't miss this chance to meet New Zealand small boat designer
              > John
              > > Welsford! He will be at Jacob's Creek Park on Canyon Lake for one
              > day
              > > only
              > That's canyon lake texas...y'all..."
              >
              > Where's Texas?
              > From Brian Hope, England, a small island off the east coast of
              > America.
            • Nels
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "brnhope" <brian@j...> wrote:

                > Where's Texas?
                > From Brian Hope, England, a small island off the east coast of
                > America.

                It may not be readily noticable being a state quite far south of New
                England, relatively small when compared to a Canadian Province or
                territory.

                Nels, from Canada
              • Peter Lenihan
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Arguien" <aaronthekid@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > That's not funny....;)

                  Oh yesss it is!...:-D
                • pvanderwaart
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
                    > > Where's Texas?

                    For those who don't know where Texas is, but who do know Chesapeake
                    Bay, John Welsford will be at the Small Craft Festival at the
                    Chesapeake Bay Marine Museum the first weekend in October. I've
                    posted the schedule of events in the file section of the JWBuilders
                    yahoo group. It's a .tif file, which may complicate reading it. Sorry
                    about that, but most photo software will read it.

                    There should be plenty of Bolger boats there.

                    Peter