Re: [bolger] Not A Bolger Boat....but,

  • David Ryan
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 2, 2004
      She needs to be stretched and given at least one more mast!

      On Thursday, September 2, 2004, at 06:20 PM, woofers94401 wrote:

      > Does this look like fun, or what?
      >
      > http://www.jwboatdesigns.co.nz/plans/swiftsure/
      >

      > Greg

      > Fax: (978) 282-1349
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • craig o'donnell
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 2, 2004
        >Does this look like fun, or what?
        >
        >http://www.jwboatdesigns.co.nz/plans/swiftsure/
        >

        >Greg

        Great! Exceedingly silly, and yet.... appealing.
        --
        Craig O'Donnell
        Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

        -- Macintosh kinda guy
        Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
        _________________________________
      • Hugo Tyson
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 2, 2004
          Yes quite interesting.
          I've always admired William Garden's "Privateer" design but to build one, if you could get the plans from him, would take a massive amount of timber not to mention years of work!

          This design (Swiftsure ), while relatively simple looks very appealing, but for my tastes it would need to be enlarged by at least 25% (If not 50%) all over to about 21' 6" x 6' 8"(25%) then further stretched to about 30' for the addition of another mast to make her a Schooner. Then we would have basically a totally new design, which would be about twice as expensive to build, but the idea's interesting?

          Hugo Tyson, Launceston, Tasmania, Australia.
          woofers94401 <gregoryu@...> wrote:
          Does this look like fun, or what?

          http://www.jwboatdesigns.co.nz/plans/swiftsure/

          Greg

          Bolger rules!!!

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • boblq
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 2, 2004
            On Thursday 02 September 2004 06:53 pm, Hugo Tyson wrote:
            > Yes quite interesting.
            > I've always admired William Garden's "Privateer" design but to build
            > one, if you could get the plans from him, would take a massive amount of
            > timber not to mention years of work!
            >
            > This design (Swiftsure ), while relatively simple looks very appealing, but
            > for my tastes it would need to be enlarged by at least 25% (If not 50%) all
            > over to about 21' 6" x 6' 8"(25%) then further stretched to about 30' for
            > the addition of another mast to make her a Schooner. Then we would have
            > basically a totally new design, which would be about twice as expensive to
            > build, but the idea's interesting?
            >
            > Hugo Tyson, Launceston, Tasmania, Australia.
            > woofers94401 <gregoryu@...> wrote:
            > Does this look like fun, or what?
            >
            > http://www.jwboatdesigns.co.nz/plans/swiftsure/
            >

            > Greg

            LOL,

            I love the marketing,

            "Just imagine the silhouette as she comes into sight around the point at
            sunset, with flags flying, a miniature cannon and a crew outfitted in tricome
            hats and sailor's caps, this would be a great vehicle for a bunch of greying
            pirates out for fun on a sunny day."

            As a greying pirate I can appreciate the complete disconnect from
            reality this implies. Reality after all can be a real downer. My son,
            who is fifteen and cannot quite understand why I am building an
            absurd boat, nonetheless he sort of gets it when I show him this
            boat.

            for your amusement
            http://www.osocomm.com/Bob/banka.html

            Onward,

            Bob La Quey
          • Aaron Arguien
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 3, 2004
              got this from sailingtexas.com

              Don't miss this chance to meet New Zealand small boat designer John
              Welsford! He will be at Jacob's Creek Park on Canyon Lake for one day
              only - September 25th, 2004. It's an informal outdoor gathering so
              bring the kids and make a day of it. This is one of only two US stops
              on his around the world tour - don't miss it. For more details see the
              writeup in Duckworks online magazine

              That's canyon lake texas...y'all...

              A2

            • brnhope
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 3, 2004
                > "Don't miss this chance to meet New Zealand small boat designer
                John
                > Welsford! He will be at Jacob's Creek Park on Canyon Lake for one
                day
                > only
                That's canyon lake texas...y'all..."

                Where's Texas?
                From Brian Hope, England, a small island off the east coast of
                America.
              • Aaron Arguien
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
                  That's not funny....;)

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "brnhope" <brian@j...> wrote:

                  > > "Don't miss this chance to meet New Zealand small boat designer
                  > John
                  > > Welsford! He will be at Jacob's Creek Park on Canyon Lake for one
                  > day
                  > > only
                  > That's canyon lake texas...y'all..."
                  >
                  > Where's Texas?
                  > From Brian Hope, England, a small island off the east coast of
                  > America.
                • Nels
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "brnhope" <brian@j...> wrote:

                    > Where's Texas?
                    > From Brian Hope, England, a small island off the east coast of
                    > America.

                    It may not be readily noticable being a state quite far south of New
                    England, relatively small when compared to a Canadian Province or
                    territory.

                    Nels, from Canada
                  • Peter Lenihan
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Arguien" <aaronthekid@y...>
                      wrote:
                      > That's not funny....;)

                      Oh yesss it is!...:-D
                    • pvanderwaart
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
                        > > Where's Texas?

                        For those who don't know where Texas is, but who do know Chesapeake
                        Bay, John Welsford will be at the Small Craft Festival at the
                        Chesapeake Bay Marine Museum the first weekend in October. I've
                        posted the schedule of events in the file section of the JWBuilders
                        yahoo group. It's a .tif file, which may complicate reading it. Sorry
                        about that, but most photo software will read it.

                        There should be plenty of Bolger boats there.

                        Peter