Re: finishing a hull and hiding blimishes?

  • cha62759@traverse.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2004
      If you are going to put a third epoxy coat do it now but don't sand it
      with 80 grit. Wash it well and sand with 100 or finer just to take off
      the gloss. The 123 will fill the finer scratches and recoating with
      123 is a hell of a lot cheaper than epoxy. If you are over exuberant
      about your sanding you will find than you have areas with almost no
      epoxy. Sand most of the first coat of primer off then recoat and sand
      for finish only.
      Bob Chamberland
      What is the best way to hide these?
      > Another coat of epoxy and sand?
      > A thin coat of microballons sanded and then covered with a final
      > coat of epoxy?
      >
      > I'm planning on three coats of epoxy regardless for sealant followed
      > by two coats of primer (the bullseye 123 stuff), then 2 coats of
      > some good old white exterior latex. I don't beleive(?) the paint
      > will hide them....possibly magnify it(?) Not sure as i haven't used
      > either.
      >
      > Not looking for a show boat finish just a 20 footer.
      > Suggestions appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks a bunch,
      > Jason.........60 hours to go tops!
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2004
        I think it also depends on how your going to finish the boat. I use 60 grit only but paint with a roller so getting a super smooth finish is a waste of time. Using a random orbital sander does wonders for not leaving scratches even with 60 grit unless you put a lot of pressure down on the sander. Using several coats of primer and two or three coats of top coat paint will fill all the minor scratches left by the sander. Plus the roller marks are leave a slight dimpled finish that hides the minor sander scratches completely.

        If your going to spray paint, then all bets are off and the best thing is to finish with at least 100 grit and use some sort of filler.

        Jeff

      • Rex and Kathie Payne
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2004
          ---A cabinet scraper will remove runs more easily than sanding. Peels them
          off in a ribbon if the scraper has a good burr.
        • juan negron
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 4, 2004
            I have used a Sandvik long handle scaraper with success to remoce runs
            and othe large imperfections.