Re: [bolger] Drive Options

  • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
      The tunnel fills up with water as soon as the prop starts turning, so you'd
      still have a hole in the hull, except at rest and even then it'll be pretty
      close to the waterline.

      There are a couple of tunnel stern boats in the Utilities section of the
      Atkin catalog, and several tunnel stern Seabright skiffs:

      http://www.atkinboatplans.com/

      On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:04:56 -0000, Phil wrote:
      > I have been thinking about my conversations with Suzanne about drive
      options for a Tahiti
      > like craft. I have some experiance with shallow draft tugs that run the
      Yukon and Tanana
      > rivers. They have a tunnel hull where the wheel is actually partially out
      of the water. I don't
      > want to buy an outdrive, but still want shallow draft capability. If I
      have the drive line at
      > the correct angle, the end of the shaft would be above the water line so
      would preclude
      > the worry about having a hole in the hull.
      >
      > I worry about a tunnel hull out in open water though, occasionally the
      river tugs to have to
      > go into the Barents Sea to get to Nome or St Micheals, they seem to do ok,
      none has ever
      > sunk to my knowledge, not sure how efficient though.

      John <jkohnen@...>
      http://www.boat-links.com/
      Missionaries, my Dear! Don't you realize that missionaries are the divinely
      provided food for destitute cannibals? Whenever they are on the brink of
      starvation, Heaven in its infinite mercy send them a nice plump missionary.
      <Oscar Wilde>