Re: [bolger] Re: BOW FILLER

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
      > Peter Lenihan

      I hadn't looked at those photos for many months,
      and wow, I am reminded of just how magical
      the transformation of flat plywood into a
      beautifully curved boat hull can be.

      Makes me want a Windermere, or at least,
      it makes me want bow fillets on my
      Champlain.

      I also was looking recently at the Kingson
      Messabout photos of Han Van Pelts Champlain
      and remarking to myself just how tricked out
      he made his boat, literally with a bell and a whistle
      [bull horn], boat hooks on hooks, BBQ, the luxury
      of a small cottage afloat.

      http://4dw.net/cosailor/ontario/champlain.htm
    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 2, 2004
        > > it makes me want bow fillets on my
        > Champlain.
        >
        > I also was looking recently at the Kingson
        > Messabout photos of Han Van Pelts Champlain
        > and remarking to myself just how tricked out
        > he made his boat, literally with a bell and a whistle
        > [bull horn], boat hooks on hooks, BBQ, the luxury
        > of a small cottage afloat.
        >
        > http://4dw.net/cosailor/ontario/champlain.htm

        Indeed! Han Van Pelts did a superb and intelligent rendering of a
        Bolger Champlain.Of course,the lucky devil is a cabinet-maker by
        trade,and it shows.He is also a very proud owner who takes the time
        to wipe down the dew each morning,from top to bottom.
        It was a real treat to visit on board while in Kingston and an
        excellent reminder of how well Bolger does interiors,from an
        ergonomic point of view, for at no time does one ever feel
        pinched,squeezed or otherwise forced to assume an un-natural posture
        while taking repose in the cabin.Tasks best accomplished while
        standing,like cooking and dish-washing,have the standing headroom
        even for tall folks while other tasks like eating or studying on the
        throne have also the required clearances.
        It surprises me that there are not more Champlains around since for
        a 22 footer they do offer an amazing amount of useful interior
        volume yet need only the miserly out-put/gas-consumption of a 9.9hp
        outboard. When I think of the many marinas packed with runnabouts in
        the 20 somthing foot range,sporting big horses on their transoms and
        virtually no accomadations relying on a small cuddycanvas work over
        the cockpit for shelter,there is clearly a need for a Champlain.Too
        often I've heard the lament about how so and so would have enjoyed
        spending the weekend at anchor but it was too windy,rainy,cool
        etc.....and they did not feel like being cooped up inside a litle
        cuddy.The Champlain,with its' great capacity for all of ones
        creature comforts,seems like the best possible route for extending
        ones pleasures out on the water. If there is a down-side to
        Champlain,it would have to be all the missed Mondays at work since
        no-one would ever feel the need to rush back to the weekday rat-race.

        As for those bow fillets,Bruce, you'll have to get a Windermere,for
        having seen the plans for Champlains fillet piece,they appear to be
        more in the order of simple wedges,à la V-bottom, then the
        curvatious hand-magnets installed on Windermere. Not a day goes by
        when I don't stroke,pat or otherwise simply sit and stare at the
        boat,end-on, and marvel at its existence......or perhaps it is just
        me since everytime I look at her fillet pieces I simply cannot
        believe that I actually built them.So many curves,too few hands to
        fully appreciate the fullness of them :-)

        So,hurry up already and get your Navigator launched before
        Jason"Fall or bust" Stancil beats you to it ;-) Besides,once the
        Navigator is launched and"out there",you and yours will be able to
        fully
        appreciate and more easily envision just how much roomier a lovely
        Champlain will be and that regardless of the weather( not a terribly
        big concern,I suspect, for folks in sunny California) you can always
        count on being comfortable. You could even tow/carry a number of
        your smaller boats along for entertainment while out cruising and
        calling in sick on Mondays :-D

        Sincerely,

        Peter"What!Me sick?" Lenihan, who came THIS close to doing a
        Champlain until PCB cracked my dream-scape wide open with
        Windermere...just a wee bit bigger then her baby sister but clearly
        from the same father.............