Re: BOW FILLER

  • Peter Lenihan
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Stancil" <jasonstancil@h...>
      wrote:
      > never really checked out the bow of a windermere or it's drawings.

      Jason,
      If you go here:

      and scroll down to the group of photos posted 11/08/03,you'll have a
      pretty good idea of what a Windermere "bow filler"(actually,Phil
      calls it a fillet piece) actually looks like. A bit more evolved
      then the nose pieces on the AS-39 and 29 and sexier then the Topaz
      wedge :-)

      I am enjoying the progress on your MICRO NAVIGATOR but fear that
      your entire mainmast assembly and mast is...a..er...let's just say
      over built.The whole assembly apparently will weight in excess of
      80lbs(?) and you are considering adding 25lbs. of lead to the heal
      of the mast?! while hoping to compensate by placing batteries aft?
      I can't think too clearly now but I recall reading that weight
      placed in the ends of a boat is generally not good for a boats
      performance since these weights are located as far from the cental
      axis as possible blah,blah,blah.......
      Anyhow,what happened to a basic wooden mast? Surely less weight
      and easier to get it to "key" into the tabernacle,no?
      Hopefully you'll enjoy a Fall launch,2004 Fall that is :-) and
      post lots of pictures!
      Have you a clear idea as to how you will be doing your ballast
      keel?

      Good Luck,

      Peter Lenihan,burning the candle at both ends between my work time
      and play time on Windermere ie;7 days per week along the banks of
      the busy St.Lawrence Seaway..............
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
        > Peter Lenihan

        I hadn't looked at those photos for many months,
        and wow, I am reminded of just how magical
        the transformation of flat plywood into a
        beautifully curved boat hull can be.

        Makes me want a Windermere, or at least,
        it makes me want bow fillets on my
        Champlain.

        I also was looking recently at the Kingson
        Messabout photos of Han Van Pelts Champlain
        and remarking to myself just how tricked out
        he made his boat, literally with a bell and a whistle
        [bull horn], boat hooks on hooks, BBQ, the luxury
        of a small cottage afloat.

        http://4dw.net/cosailor/ontario/champlain.htm
      • Peter Lenihan
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 2, 2004
          > > it makes me want bow fillets on my
          > Champlain.
          >
          > I also was looking recently at the Kingson
          > Messabout photos of Han Van Pelts Champlain
          > and remarking to myself just how tricked out
          > he made his boat, literally with a bell and a whistle
          > [bull horn], boat hooks on hooks, BBQ, the luxury
          > of a small cottage afloat.
          >
          > http://4dw.net/cosailor/ontario/champlain.htm

          Indeed! Han Van Pelts did a superb and intelligent rendering of a
          Bolger Champlain.Of course,the lucky devil is a cabinet-maker by
          trade,and it shows.He is also a very proud owner who takes the time
          to wipe down the dew each morning,from top to bottom.
          It was a real treat to visit on board while in Kingston and an
          excellent reminder of how well Bolger does interiors,from an
          ergonomic point of view, for at no time does one ever feel
          pinched,squeezed or otherwise forced to assume an un-natural posture
          while taking repose in the cabin.Tasks best accomplished while
          standing,like cooking and dish-washing,have the standing headroom
          even for tall folks while other tasks like eating or studying on the
          throne have also the required clearances.
          It surprises me that there are not more Champlains around since for
          a 22 footer they do offer an amazing amount of useful interior
          volume yet need only the miserly out-put/gas-consumption of a 9.9hp
          outboard. When I think of the many marinas packed with runnabouts in
          the 20 somthing foot range,sporting big horses on their transoms and
          virtually no accomadations relying on a small cuddycanvas work over
          the cockpit for shelter,there is clearly a need for a Champlain.Too
          often I've heard the lament about how so and so would have enjoyed
          spending the weekend at anchor but it was too windy,rainy,cool
          etc.....and they did not feel like being cooped up inside a litle
          cuddy.The Champlain,with its' great capacity for all of ones
          creature comforts,seems like the best possible route for extending
          ones pleasures out on the water. If there is a down-side to
          Champlain,it would have to be all the missed Mondays at work since
          no-one would ever feel the need to rush back to the weekday rat-race.

          As for those bow fillets,Bruce, you'll have to get a Windermere,for
          having seen the plans for Champlains fillet piece,they appear to be
          more in the order of simple wedges,à la V-bottom, then the
          curvatious hand-magnets installed on Windermere. Not a day goes by
          when I don't stroke,pat or otherwise simply sit and stare at the
          boat,end-on, and marvel at its existence......or perhaps it is just
          me since everytime I look at her fillet pieces I simply cannot
          believe that I actually built them.So many curves,too few hands to
          fully appreciate the fullness of them :-)

          So,hurry up already and get your Navigator launched before
          Jason"Fall or bust" Stancil beats you to it ;-) Besides,once the
          Navigator is launched and"out there",you and yours will be able to
          fully
          appreciate and more easily envision just how much roomier a lovely
          Champlain will be and that regardless of the weather( not a terribly
          big concern,I suspect, for folks in sunny California) you can always
          count on being comfortable. You could even tow/carry a number of
          your smaller boats along for entertainment while out cruising and
          calling in sick on Mondays :-D

          Sincerely,

          Peter"What!Me sick?" Lenihan, who came THIS close to doing a
          Champlain until PCB cracked my dream-scape wide open with
          Windermere...just a wee bit bigger then her baby sister but clearly
          from the same father.............