Drive Options

  • Phil S.
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2004
      I have been thinking about my conversations with Suzanne about drive options for a Tahiti
      like craft. I have some experiance with shallow draft tugs that run the Yukon and Tanana
      rivers. They have a tunnel hull where the wheel is actually partially out of the water. I don't
      want to buy an outdrive, but still want shallow draft capability. If I have the drive line at
      the correct angle, the end of the shaft would be above the water line so would preclude
      the worry about having a hole in the hull.

      I worry about a tunnel hull out in open water though, occasionally the river tugs to have to
      go into the Barents Sea to get to Nome or St Micheals, they seem to do ok, none has ever
      sunk to my knowledge, not sure how efficient though.

      I am waiting for sketches on a tahiti like boat but built with stick lumber as opposed to
      plywood. Has anyone else seen a sketch of that design?
      Regards
      phil
    • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
        The tunnel fills up with water as soon as the prop starts turning, so you'd
        still have a hole in the hull, except at rest and even then it'll be pretty
        close to the waterline.

        There are a couple of tunnel stern boats in the Utilities section of the
        Atkin catalog, and several tunnel stern Seabright skiffs:

        http://www.atkinboatplans.com/

        On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:04:56 -0000, Phil wrote:
        > I have been thinking about my conversations with Suzanne about drive
        options for a Tahiti
        > like craft. I have some experiance with shallow draft tugs that run the
        Yukon and Tanana
        > rivers. They have a tunnel hull where the wheel is actually partially out
        of the water. I don't
        > want to buy an outdrive, but still want shallow draft capability. If I
        have the drive line at
        > the correct angle, the end of the shaft would be above the water line so
        would preclude
        > the worry about having a hole in the hull.
        >
        > I worry about a tunnel hull out in open water though, occasionally the
        river tugs to have to
        > go into the Barents Sea to get to Nome or St Micheals, they seem to do ok,
        none has ever
        > sunk to my knowledge, not sure how efficient though.

        John <jkohnen@...>
        http://www.boat-links.com/
        Missionaries, my Dear! Don't you realize that missionaries are the divinely
        provided food for destitute cannibals? Whenever they are on the brink of
        starvation, Heaven in its infinite mercy send them a nice plump missionary.
        <Oscar Wilde>