Re: Gillnetter Houseboat

  • Howard Stephenson
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 29, 2004
      The book reproduces five sheets of plans, including a complete set of
      lines and a table of offsets. PCB has shown a Westerbeke 4-154 -- a
      60 hp diesel.

      Although the gillnetters on which the design is based were meant for
      use in freezing weather, the houseboat version would be suitable for
      much warmer weather too. PCB says that the placement of the double
      bed, tucked into a corner and hard against the side of the cabin, is
      OK because it can be tilted up when tucking in the sheets. It seems
      to me the problem with such a layout (a very common one) is that the
      outboard occupant of the berth has to climb over the inboard occupant
      to get his/her feet on the deck. I must be getting old to see that as
      a disadvantage.

      Howard

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Hugo Tyson <hhetyson@y...> wrote:
      > Yes the Gillnetter Houseboat is interesting, though the
      superstructure is quite ugly, the hull itself is really very nice and
      being a displacement type Lobsterboat hull, a moderate size (about
      100HP) Diesel would have ample power for maximum hull speed with
      plenty in reserve to buck the tide and seas.

      > A more traditional lobsterboat/lobsteryacht cabin arrangement would
      be a great improvement on looks but not as suitable for live aboard
      purposes.

      > though being 35' x 12' or thereabouts, shes quite a big and complex
      boat for a first-time builder to contemplate!

      > From memory I think there is enough information in the "Folding
      Schooner" Book to build her though.