The I60 Keel: good news

  • David Ryan
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2004
      FBBB,

      Rightly or wrongly, of all the components on the I60, the part that's
      given me the most worry has been the keel. I haven't done any metal
      work since shop class in junior high, and have had visions of the keel
      turning into some sort of stainless steel, silicone bronze nightmare
      costing more than my whole budget for the build. But I've just spent
      the day pricing things like 1/4" steel plate and galvanizing services,
      or the spot price for lead and overall I am very encouraged. While it
      is not cheap, the keel will not be a deal breaker. Some facts and
      figures:

      I can by 4'x8' sheets of 1/4" plate steel for $250 a piece. Based on
      the drawings I have, I think it will take about 2-3 sheets. Perhaps the
      box girder needs to be a heavier gauge, but the cost is more or less
      proportionate to the thickness.

      I can get hot dip galvanizing for about $.25/pound, or about $250 to
      galvanize all the keel components.

      The spot price for lead is about $.45/pound, or about $1500 if the wing
      (possibly a lead-filled steel fabrication) turns out to be all of the
      originally sited 3,000 lbs. Salvaged lead can sometimes be much cheaper.

      Best guess at this point is that the fabrication costs will be tallied
      in hundreds, not thousands of dollars. It even seems like it might be
      possible to have the pieces cut and then do the welding myself, or with
      the help of a friend who does this sort of work on the commercial fleet
      out this way.

      9,5000 lbs capacity winches seem to cost between $500 and $1,500. The
      winch man says that the $500 unit is exactly the unit I need; built to
      military specs. designed to live on the bumper of a truck running over
      salty Winter roads, and will run even when completely submerged.

      All in all, the keel is looking quite "doalbe", and that in turn makes
      the boat seem more doable as well!

      YIBB,

      David