Re: [bolger] Re: AS-29's current form

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 37 , Aug 2 7:12 AM
      Actually you can get wire feed welders that run on 110 that would weld up most steel for small boat trailers. Up to about 1/8 inch thick in most cases. If you use box steel you can get by with thinner walled material. I also own one of the cheap wire feeds for thin metal and with some practice you can do a adequate job.

      These little welders can be had much cheaper than a full oxy-acetylene rig and work with flux filled wire which makes it easy to cart around to the backyard if necessary.

      Jeff
      Message 37 of 37 , Aug 4 2:40 AM
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <boatbuilding@g...> wrote:
        > I like working with steel but it's noisy and you have to have nice
        neighbors if you do it more than once every couple years! LOL

        Great point Jeff and one worth seriously exploring by anyone
        contemplating a steel boat.My boat yard neighbour,who is building a
        Roberts 40, regularly makes so much noise, either hammering or
        grinding his welds, that I can hardly hear myself think(not that
        there is all that much going on up in my attic)but it is I who must
        wear ear plugs! Too bad there was not a way to build it so that it
        could be tuned,like a steel drum,all fired up for some Calypso
        music :-)Fortunately,he mostly works on Fridays and Saturdays but he
        tells me he has a few weeks vacation coming up in the middle of
        August...aaaaiiiieeeeeee!!!!!!!
        About the only way a person could pull off this sort of ear-drum
        shattering racket in their"backyard" would be if they lived in an
        area zoned for industrial...heavy industry...manufacturing. I cannot
        imagine a regular neighbourhood ever putting up with it for very
        long.At least not as long as it takes a part-timer to build a

        Sincerely,

        Peter Lenihan,not yet deaf but a little crazy nontheless,from along
        the shores of the St.Lawrence........