Re: AS-29's current form

  • dnjost
    Message 1 of 37 , Aug 2, 2004
      David -

      You must be correct on this one. I just looked at the little wire
      feed units. These are relatively cheap and appear easy to use.
      This could incite a new wave of designs for home builders, epoxy
      coated steel hulled boats. Imagine the possibilities. However, I
      think I will wait for someone else to build an AS29 out of steel
      first. Perhaps Bolger will read this thread and get some ideas.
      With the deterioration of the quality of plywood, and the increase
      in price of all supplies this could be the route to go.

      David Jost
    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 37 of 37 , Aug 4, 2004
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <boatbuilding@g...> wrote:
        > I like working with steel but it's noisy and you have to have nice
        neighbors if you do it more than once every couple years! LOL

        Great point Jeff and one worth seriously exploring by anyone
        contemplating a steel boat.My boat yard neighbour,who is building a
        Roberts 40, regularly makes so much noise, either hammering or
        grinding his welds, that I can hardly hear myself think(not that
        there is all that much going on up in my attic)but it is I who must
        wear ear plugs! Too bad there was not a way to build it so that it
        could be tuned,like a steel drum,all fired up for some Calypso
        music :-)Fortunately,he mostly works on Fridays and Saturdays but he
        tells me he has a few weeks vacation coming up in the middle of
        August...aaaaiiiieeeeeee!!!!!!!
        About the only way a person could pull off this sort of ear-drum
        shattering racket in their"backyard" would be if they lived in an
        area zoned for industrial...heavy industry...manufacturing. I cannot
        imagine a regular neighbourhood ever putting up with it for very
        long.At least not as long as it takes a part-timer to build a

        Sincerely,

        Peter Lenihan,not yet deaf but a little crazy nontheless,from along
        the shores of the St.Lawrence........