Re: Bolger design direction

  • dbaldnz
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 2, 2004
      Yet for so long, he went to amazing lengths to save the cost of one
      turning block. Now there seems little regard for economy in his
      economy boat designs. And it seems to coincide with his new
      partner.....just an observation,
      DonB
      > Jason Stancil <jasonstancil@h...> wrote:
      > > I totally agree. Bolger's newer designs (ply ones anyhow) i have
      > > seen have gotten much more complex since the original "instant"
      > > boats.
      >
      > The 'Instant Boat' phase of Bolger's work came after 30 years of
      > designing boats, and he is now in the 52nd year of designing boats
      > by my estimate. No big surprise that his styles and tastes have
      > changed with time.
    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 4, 2004
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dbaldnz" <oink@w...> wrote:
        > Yet for so long, he went to amazing lengths to save the cost of
        one
        > turning block. Now there seems little regard for economy in his
        > economy boat designs.

        All true Don and I think he just about went as far as one can go in
        trying to squeeze a boat down to its' last drop of "basicness" with
        some designs being so crude and simple that the titles of navel
        architech or boat designer were rendered almost meaningless.Of
        course,anyone who would call a design BRICK,SHOEBOX or TORTISE is
        letting us know that he is aware of the simple crudeness and that
        another point is aimed for.
        I like the "new" swing his creativity has taken,in particular his
        demonstration that plywood built boats need not follow traditional
        plywood shapes or styles.When I think of the forward sections of
        boats like TOPAZ etc,with their developed "fillet pieces" and box-
        keels to soften the ride of an otherwise flat-bottomed boat or the
        cabin profiles and fenestration of this new group, I cannot help but
        think of another rennaisance for amateur boatbuilding. That he
        relies more on plywood may also suggest his sensitivity to dwindling
        supplies of old fashion boat lumber and the high cost of what is
        obtainable.
        But that last part is just speculation on my part :-)

        On HIS side too is the long list of boats with enchanting lines and
        salty appearances which,sometimes over-shadowed by HIS more
        outragious populace plywood designs,are just too "complex" and
        expensive for a simple backyard amateur boabuilder.
        The best testamonial is the very fact that HE continues to be"right
        there" producing fresh designs(back-logged with work,infact!) yet
        some of HIS basic stuff,like the Instant boat fleet continues to
        draw complete and not so complete novices into building their own
        boat some 20+ years after they were designed. He does indeed have
        an "Open Mind" for"Different Boats" ,"Odd Boats" and "Small Boats"
        while always ready for new design "Adventures"..:-D

        Sincerely,

        Peter Lenihan,who even today spent some time parked on my rear-end
        in front of Windermere being seduced by the shape of the fillet
        pieces which I KNOW were just plywood panels yet remain confounded
        by their transformation into such a lovely complex shape,from along
        the shores of the steamy St.Lawrence..........
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 4, 2004
          > trying to squeeze a boat down to
          > its' last drop of "basicness" with [haiku].

          Tortoise

          Such a wee punt!
          Too ugly to steal
          Right-side-up & dry
          Made a cat laugh.
        • Jason Stancil
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 4, 2004
            > Tortoise
            >
            > Such a wee punt!
            > Too ugly to steal
            > Right-side-up & dry
            > Made a cat laugh.

            gifted :).......bolgerados are such a talented bunch
          • David Ryan
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 4, 2004
              FBBB,

              An untempered mania for thrift is no better than an untempered mania
              for weatherliness, or any other one design characteristic. Design is
              about making compromises. Good design is making good compromises.

              YIBB,

              David
            • juan negron
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 4, 2004
                All true Don and I think he just about went as far as one can go in
                trying to squeeze a boat down to its' last drop of "basicness" with
                some designs being so crude and simple that the titles of navel
                architech or boat designer were rendered almost meaningless.Of
                course,anyone who would call a design BRICK,SHOEBOX or TORTISE is
                letting us know that he is aware of the simple crudeness and that
                another point is aimed for.

                I have built a Brick. To call a brick "crude" means you have either
                not built one, or you have missed the pointS completely. Brick is one
                of the most amazing examples of elegant no-holds-barred efficient
                design. The damned things sail *proportionately* better than anything
                I know. ( Try to sail in ANYTHING that is only 8' with 4 adults and
                two kids!

                As I was building it I kept saying out loud "Of course!" " Well,
                obviously" and other expressions ( laced with some expletives for
                emphasis). Contrary to your statement, the Brick is close to the apex
                of one of the facets of a boat designer.

                You can probably not build any other boat capable of delivering such
                a fun - enjoyment / effort - expense ratio. That Bolger called
                these boats what he called them means not awareness of crudeness, but
                wit. He knows these boats may SEEM crude or simple, but they are not.
                They are masterpieces of economy ( quality/expense), and calling them
                that I think is a joke on those not in the know.

                Juan.
              • John B. Trussell
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 4, 2004
                  Bolger's genius/weakness is that he established a set of parameters for a design and pursued those parameters to their logical conclusion, no matter how far off the beaten path that took him. All men need the guidance of a good woman, and since PCB became PB&F, the resulting designs have become a little more conventional, complex, and a lot more expensive. A classic example is Birdwatcher I vs. Birdwatcher II. Both boats have the same interior volume and seaworthiness. BW II is probably faster, more refined, expensive, and heavier than BW I. Happily, both sets of plans remain available, so you can choose between them (or mix and match features from both).

                  John T
[...]

                  Bolger rules!!!

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • dbaldnz
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 4, 2004
                    You must be thinking of someone else on this thread Juan, because I
                    never criticized the simple boats at all. In fact I had to restrain
                    myself from building a Brick at one stage!
                    I also agree that some of his designs like Brick reach the pinnacle of
                    simplicity, and purity, a good word you use.
                    DonB

                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, juan negron <juan.negron@g...> wrote:
                    > All true Don and I think he just about went as far as one can go in
                    > trying to squeeze a boat down to its' last drop of "basicness" with
                    > some designs being so crude and simple that the titles of navel
                    > architech or boat designer were rendered almost meaningless.Of
                    > course,anyone who would call a design BRICK,SHOEBOX or TORTISE is
                    > letting us know that he is aware of the simple crudeness and that
                    > another point is aimed for.
                    >
                    > I have built a Brick. To call a brick "crude" means you have either
                    > not built one, or you have missed the pointS completely. Brick is one
                    > of the most amazing examples of elegant no-holds-barred efficient
                    > design. The damned things sail *proportionately* better than anything
                    > I know. ( Try to sail in ANYTHING that is only 8' with 4 adults and
                    > two kids!
                    >
                    > As I was building it I kept saying out loud "Of course!" " Well,
                    > obviously" and other expressions ( laced with some expletives for
                    > emphasis). Contrary to your statement, the Brick is close to the apex
                    > of one of the facets of a boat designer.
                    >
                    > You can probably not build any other boat capable of delivering such
                    > a fun - enjoyment / effort - expense ratio. That Bolger called
                    > these boats what he called them means not awareness of crudeness, but
                    > wit. He knows these boats may SEEM crude or simple, but they are not.
                    > They are masterpieces of economy ( quality/expense), and calling them
                    > that I think is a joke on those not in the know.
                    >
                    > Juan.
                  • dbaldnz
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 4, 2004
                      Ah, you speak a great truth John.
                      Show me a man with a woman in this Group, who hasn't found his life
                      become more conventional, complex, and a lot more expensive!
                      Providentially it came to Phillip C. Bolger a lot later in life than
                      most of us.
                      DonB

                      "John B. Trussell" <John.Trussell@w...> All men need the guidance
                      of a good woman, and since PCB became PB&F, the resulting designs have
                      become a little more conventional, complex, and a lot more expensive.

                      > John T

                      Service.

                    • Lincoln Ross
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 5, 2004
                        As owner of half a Brick, I have to agree. (Which half, I'm afraid I
                        don't know.) The silly thing sails much better than it has any right to,
                        and it's way roomy, comfortable, and it can carry a huge load. There
                        should be more Bricks. My friends kids don't really like his 24 foot
                        glass boat, but they really like the Brick.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 5, 2004
                          dbaldnz wrote:
                          > I also agree that some of his designs
                          > like Brick reach the pinnacle of
                          > simplicity, and purity,

                          Like haiku poetry.

                          If we are going to start arguing of
                          how many angels can dance on the
                          head of a pin, lets discuss which
                          Bolger boat is the true pinnacle of
                          this design philosophy.

                          I would argue that it is Tortoise,
                          which has the elegant simplicity
                          of the others, but unlike the others
                          it has more...it has 'function'.

                          Brick is more or less an intellectual
                          exercise is how much boat can be
                          squeezed out of three sheets of
                          plywood, with the 'function' being
                          secondary.

                          Tortoise, on the other hand, is an
                          response to the desire: To find
                          the perfect, capable, disposable
                          boat tender.

                          Bolger describes Tortoise:
                          =========quoting=====
                          This was meant to he a disposable boat
                          if there ever was one: shop-grade
                          plywood (though I'm beginning to think
                          this cheap material may be less apt to rot
                          than exterior-grade), no priming, one coat
                          of white paint. But Tortoise grew on me.
                          She rowed quite well if I kept the stroke
                          short and gentle. She towed in docile
                          fashion at eight knots (as fast as the
                          cruiser would go). I could swing around
                          in her, and even stand up, without feeling
                          very insecure. She carried without
                          protest two live men and two dead
                          marine batteries. I could throw the oars
                          and the seat up on the cruiser's deck,
                          about 4' above the water, and snake the
                          punt up after me .without a second
                          thought.... I figured it
                          would take up so little room on a public
                          float that nobody would resent it lying
                          there, look so unpretentious that vandals
                          might not think of vandalizing it, and cost
                          so little that it wouldn't break my heart if
                          they did. It was also supposed to be of
                          the right proportions to rest my weight on
                          when I had to walk over salt-water ice,
                          pushing it ahead of me.
                        • pvanderwaart
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 5, 2004
                            > Like haiku poetry.

                            Alternatly, would could discuss adopting (or inventing) an Official
                            Light Verse Form for the Bolger Group.
                          • Lincoln Ross
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 5, 2004
                              I think it's more than an intellectual exercise. . Brick is perhaps the
                              least trouble to get a boat that will sail ok with 3 or so adults. I've
                              sailed it with two adults, and with 4 little boys as passengers, and
                              have seen it with 4 adults. Only the 4 adults seemed too much, although
                              it did work. I think it works way better than an intellectual exercise,
                              at least if built close to plans and using the Bohndell sail. With two
                              people you can just tack upwind, moving only the hand that is on the
                              tiller and not anything else except maybe turning your head to look
                              around. Comfy. With a crew weight around 400 lbs. it seemed slightly
                              underloaded.

                              >Bruce Hallman wrote:
                              >
                              >snip
                              >Brick is more or less an intellectual
                              >exercise is how much boat can be
                              >squeezed out of three sheets of
                              >plywood, with the 'function' being
                              >secondary.

                              snip
                            • Mark
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 5, 2004
                                Comfy's the word. Mine's just barely wet but clearly is about twice as contained, safe,
                                and stable feeling as functional
                                8 foot boat could possibly be.

                                Most _boat_ from three sheets of plywood, definitely. Not letting the esthetics or
                                what's thought to be proper compromise the function is also part of the rigor. Yet, maybe
                                it's only 'cause I have the labor in one or the appropriate sense of humor, but can even
                                like the looks.

                                Mark