Re: AS-29's current form

  • dnjost
    Message 1 of 37 , Aug 1, 2004
      Thank Lewis,

      Next time, I will try that. I wondered what those settings were
      for. It just means getting a generator out to the side yard. With
      hurricane season coming up, it gives me an excuse to buy one.

      David Jost

      Hmmm, what should I break to get an excuse to fix with the welder?

      > If you must stick weld, DC is much easier to use than a cheap
      AC "buzz
      > box". The gas and diesel powered generator/welders have selectable
      AC/DC.

      <robert_gainer@h...> wrote:
      > > David,
      > > I am about as far as you can be from an expert welder, but I
      > understand that
      > > you can lay a lot more weld with a stick then you can with gas.
      Why
      > not wire
      > > an outlet in the shop from the main box and let the wife cook
      > undisturbed.
      > > Or you may want to get a small gas powered miller.
      > > Robert Gainer

    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 37 of 37 , Aug 4, 2004
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <boatbuilding@g...> wrote:
        > I like working with steel but it's noisy and you have to have nice
        neighbors if you do it more than once every couple years! LOL

        Great point Jeff and one worth seriously exploring by anyone
        contemplating a steel boat.My boat yard neighbour,who is building a
        Roberts 40, regularly makes so much noise, either hammering or
        grinding his welds, that I can hardly hear myself think(not that
        there is all that much going on up in my attic)but it is I who must
        wear ear plugs! Too bad there was not a way to build it so that it
        could be tuned,like a steel drum,all fired up for some Calypso
        music :-)Fortunately,he mostly works on Fridays and Saturdays but he
        tells me he has a few weeks vacation coming up in the middle of
        August...aaaaiiiieeeeeee!!!!!!!
        About the only way a person could pull off this sort of ear-drum
        shattering racket in their"backyard" would be if they lived in an
        area zoned for industrial...heavy industry...manufacturing. I cannot
        imagine a regular neighbourhood ever putting up with it for very
        long.At least not as long as it takes a part-timer to build a

        Sincerely,

        Peter Lenihan,not yet deaf but a little crazy nontheless,from along
        the shores of the St.Lawrence........