Re: AS-29's current form

  • Lewis E. Gordon
    Message 1 of 37 , Aug 1, 2004
      I am not a welder, but my dad was a genius at it, and I have been
      around welding a lot. I think that Juan is correct in that a wire feed
      welder is better for this application. Maybe I missed it, but no one
      has mentioned the biggest objection to ox/acyl welding: the heat
      required will buckle the panels. You want to tack weld to keep the
      heat down and then fill in between the tacks (with a stick welder, say
      an inch at a time).

      If you must stick weld, DC is much easier to use than a cheap AC "buzz
      box". The gas and diesel powered generator/welders have selectable AC/DC.

      Just MHO,

      Lewis

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Gainer" <robert_gainer@h...> wrote:
      > David,
      > I am about as far as you can be from an expert welder, but I
      understand that
      > you can lay a lot more weld with a stick then you can with gas. Why
      not wire
      > an outlet in the shop from the main box and let the wife cook
      undisturbed.
      > Or you may want to get a small gas powered miller.
      > Robert Gainer
      >

      > >From: "dnjost" <djost@m...>
      > >To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      > >Subject: [bolger] Re: AS-29's current form
      > >Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 00:01:51 -0000
      > >
      > >Juan,
      > >My arc welder is a traditional buzz box that must be connected to a
      > >250V outlet. The only one I have is the one my stove plugs in to.
      > >Mrs. J. does not care for the 250V wire coming through the kitchen
      > >and the stove pulled out for the sake of boat building.
      > >
      > >With and oxy-acetelyne outfit, you can roll it to the work and keep
      > >it far away from the main flow of traffic in the yard. It is also
      > >easier (my opinion) to control the weld bead. I blew a hole through
      > >the metal the first time I tried the buzz box. Like anything else,
      > >it takes a little practice. This was when I thought I was going to
      > >build a trailer for my Micro.
      > >
      > >Happy Building
      > >David Jost
      > >

      > > > Why?
      > > >
      > > > for plate welding you´d be better off with a wire welder. In
      > >Spain you
      > > > can buy them ( without the gas bottle) starting at arround 350
      > >â?¬. (
      > > > 375$?) Considering it would be the majority of the investment in
      > >steel
      > > > tools, for a 30 footer, I think it is not the major issue.
      > > >
      > > > Juan.

    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 37 of 37 , Aug 4, 2004
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <boatbuilding@g...> wrote:
        > I like working with steel but it's noisy and you have to have nice
        neighbors if you do it more than once every couple years! LOL

        Great point Jeff and one worth seriously exploring by anyone
        contemplating a steel boat.My boat yard neighbour,who is building a
        Roberts 40, regularly makes so much noise, either hammering or
        grinding his welds, that I can hardly hear myself think(not that
        there is all that much going on up in my attic)but it is I who must
        wear ear plugs! Too bad there was not a way to build it so that it
        could be tuned,like a steel drum,all fired up for some Calypso
        music :-)Fortunately,he mostly works on Fridays and Saturdays but he
        tells me he has a few weeks vacation coming up in the middle of
        August...aaaaiiiieeeeeee!!!!!!!
        About the only way a person could pull off this sort of ear-drum
        shattering racket in their"backyard" would be if they lived in an
        area zoned for industrial...heavy industry...manufacturing. I cannot
        imagine a regular neighbourhood ever putting up with it for very
        long.At least not as long as it takes a part-timer to build a

        Sincerely,

        Peter Lenihan,not yet deaf but a little crazy nontheless,from along
        the shores of the St.Lawrence........