Re: New Design - Wandervogel

  • oarmandt
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2004
      I looked seriously at the Birdwatcher a year ago, and Birdwatcher II
      when the last WoodenBoat came out. I concluded that Birdwatcher was
      smaller than my wife and I would want to spend a week or even a
      weekend in. Strange, because BW and Wandervogel are within about 3"
      of each other in overall length. BW loses a lot of volume being
      double-ended. It is also narrower of beam. BW's cabin is somewhat
      spoiled by the centerboard case. If you like sitting on the floor
      (maybe a wet floor if the CB case spits), go with the BW. The WV will
      have proper chair-height seats, both cabin and cockpit.

      The cockpit degrades the birdwatcher concept somewhat in that it
      compromises righting ability from a knock-down. On the model, at 90
      degree knock-down attitude, the front edge of the cockpit rail is just
      going under. The buoyancy of the house prevents much water getting in
      the cockpit. But really, how often will it get knocked 90 degrees?

      Obviously, WV gives up lots to BW in simplicity of the sailing rig.
      Once the rig is up, the Chinese gaffer should be easier to reef, if it
      lives up to the advanced billing.

      WV will be heavier, more expensive, and more complicated to build.

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Robert Jennings <rjennings@g...> wrote:
      > I really like the idea of a small cockpit in a Birdwatcher II type
      > boat. What have you gained and lost with the Wandervogel compared to
      > the Birdwatcher II? I ask because I'm close to buying the BW II plans
      > but will wait if the Wandervogel has some qualities that are better
      > for my needs than the BW II. It sounds like Bolger just keeps
      > designing better boats.

    • k_s_oneill
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2004
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pvanderwaart" <pvanderwaart@y...>
        wrote:

        > 2) I've never seen the vang arrangement before. Pretty neat, though
        > it complicates the the boom construction. Does PB&F cite a
        precedent
        > or claim it as original? Possibly an independent re-invention. It's
        > real difficult to be completely novel.

        It's a balestron rig without a jib. One might consider making the
        boom long enought to later add a jib; actually flying a jib might
        help things out, and it might not. In "Beach Cruising and Coastal
        Camping" Ida Little said her Bolger-designed Dugog picked up a full
        knot in most conditions with the addition of a very small somewhat
        silly-looking jib. Certainly it seems to me if you're going to go to
        all the trouble to build the balestron boom you might as well put the
        jib on it; it will be no extra effort or extra sheets to handle when
        tacking, and the jib will balance the main some and actually lower
        sheet tension. And it would look cool.

        > 3) The complicated and unusual-looking mizzen tabernacle supports
        > will look appropriately exotic with the Chinese rig.

        I agree.

        > 4) Looks like a great boat.

        I agree with that too, though the angle of the fore cabin window is a
        bit odd to me. Overall, though, the whole thing is very jaunty and
        capable looking. The twin rudders and central outboard seem to me to
        be a very good arrangement.

        Kevin
      • Howard Stephenson
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 28, 2005
          I've just realized the photo of the Birdwatcher-type boat that
          appears on the front page of Bolger3 was a model, not a full-size
          boat. See:

          Anyone have any news on this design -- whether it was finished,
          whether construction was started etc. ?

          Howard

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "oarmandt" <oarmanD@c...> wrote:
          > I would like to let the Group in on a new design in the works at
          PB&F,
          > which should come off the board soon. It is an elaboration on the
          > Wandervogel cartoon that was rig number 101 in 103 Sailing Rigs. I
          > commissioned it about a year ago. I was looking for a comfortable,
          > trailerable, shoal-draft cruiser. The William D. Jochems design
          was
          > appealing, but ultimately, I decided it was more ambitious than I
          > wanted to build and tow. Wandervogel is a couple feet smaller at
          > 23?-9? x 6?-9? x 8?, or about the size of a Martha Jane.
        • oarmandt
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 29, 2005
            The model is mine. I commissioned the design after the cartoon 101 in
            103 Sailing Rigs. The model was made from the preliminary drawing.
            Alas, the full design is in limbo, apparently behind several others in
            PB&F's queue.

            As with the recurring theme here lately, I have a "fill in" project.
            Mine is a Birdwatcher. The second coat of paint is going on the hull,
            so anticipation for the launch is building.

            Doug

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Stephenson" <stephensonhw@a...>

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 29, 2005
              Thanks. I was hoping my post would find the owner of the model. You've
              done a good job with the photo, to make it look like a full-size boat.

              What a pity it's an unfinished design. I'm sure there'd be plenty of
              people who'd be interested if it were finished.

              Howard