Recomendation for good live a board for couple

  • Jimbo Bluez
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2004
      I really liked the book "Voyaging on a small income"
      by anne rice, at one time I owned the 37' sister to
      that boat, I lived aboard but never got a mast or
      sails, but wondering if Bolger has plans for a good
      live a board in the 30-40' ball park that would be
      inexpensive to build and yet comfortable to live, I am
      not a gold plated sailer, the simpler the better.
      Jim

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/_0TolB/TM

> [...]
      > sometimes mention the
      > > original designs ( Michalack comes to mind), and
      > sometimes not.
      > >
      > > Juan.

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 21:23:18 -0000
      > From: "Howard Stephenson" <stephensonhw@...>
      > Subject: Re: AS-29's current form
      >
      > I've often thought that the best way to design and
      > build a hull like
      > AS29 or, say, Blackgauntlet, would be to build it
      > out of steel up to
      > about the waterline and build the topsides and
      > superstructure out of
      > plywood. The ply would overlap the steel and
      > connected to it with ss
      > bolts through the ply and steel and a wooden
      > stringer on the outside.
      >
      > This would be relatively easy to construct. The
      > weight and strength
      > would be where it is most needed. Has this ever been
      > done?
      >
      > Howard
      >
      > -- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Hallman
      > <bruce@h...> wrote:
      > > > Jason Stancil <jasonstancil@h...> wrote:
      > > > Also how do you attach a steel shoe with out
      > letting
      > > > water seep into the ply bottom? Dump truck load
      > of
      > > > 5200 followed by 18 coats of paint?
      > >
      > > I think the steel needs to be in 2 foot sections
      > > avoid problems with differential thermal
      > expansion.

      > Message: 3
      > Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 17:40:16 -0400
      > From: "David Romasco" <dromasco@...>
      > Subject: RE: Re: AS-29's current form
      >
      > Because a properly designed steel vessel in that
      > size would in fact be
      > lighter when the entire hull and deck were steel;
      > steel is a lighter
      > building material than plywood (above dinghy sizes)
      > when properly designed
      > and fabricated. The reason you don't see it in more
      > common use is simply
      > because of the ease of fiberglass for mass
      > production, and the simple
      > technology of plywood for amateur construction. In
      > addition to the above,
      > such a composite scheme involving materials with
      > radically different
      > expansion coefficients would almost certainly lead
      > to difficulties in
      > maintaining watertight integrity (sorry about the
      > jargon, but you get the
      > idea).
      >
      > I salute those who attempt the Bolger steel shoe. I
      > spent many an hour over
      > the plans for Bolger's Blackgauntlet II when they
      > were released around forty
      > years ago (!), and to this day I'm still not
      > comfortable with the many
      > methods I've since heard suggested for attaching
      > those plates. These days,
      > I'd even wonder about shaping the plates carefully
      > to the bottom curve, and
      > applying them with 5200 as their sole means of
      > support; those of you who
      > have tangled with undoing that singular substance

      === message truncated ===

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2004
        > Jimbo Bluez <bluezpoet2001@...> wrote:
        > sails, but wondering if Bolger has plans for a good
        > live a board in the 30-40' ball park that would be
        > inexpensive to build and yet comfortable to live, I am

        Many to choose from, but the Le Cabotin comes to
        mind. AS-39. See the chapter about it in the Bolger
        book _Boats with an Open Mind_ . There is also a
        website,

        http://cf.geocities.com/lecabotin/
      • Peter Lenihan
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2004
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Jimbo Bluez <bluezpoet2001@y...>
          wrote:
          > I really liked the book "Voyaging on a small income"
          > by anne rice,

          I believe her name is Annie Hill.Anne Rice wrote the wonderful
          Vampire series featuring the all time scoundrel vampire LESTAT(my

          Peter Lenihan