Re: AS-29's current form

  • dnjost
    Message 1 of 37 , Aug 1, 2004
      Juan,
      My arc welder is a traditional buzz box that must be connected to a
      250V outlet. The only one I have is the one my stove plugs in to.
      Mrs. J. does not care for the 250V wire coming through the kitchen
      and the stove pulled out for the sake of boat building.

      With and oxy-acetelyne outfit, you can roll it to the work and keep
      it far away from the main flow of traffic in the yard. It is also
      easier (my opinion) to control the weld bead. I blew a hole through
      the metal the first time I tried the buzz box. Like anything else,
      it takes a little practice. This was when I thought I was going to
      build a trailer for my Micro.

      Happy Building
      David Jost

      > Why?
      >
      > for plate welding you´d be better off with a wire welder. In
      Spain you
      > can buy them ( without the gas bottle) starting at arround 350
      €. (
      > 375$?) Considering it would be the majority of the investment in
      steel
      > tools, for a 30 footer, I think it is not the major issue.
      >
      > Juan.
    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 37 of 37 , Aug 4, 2004
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <boatbuilding@g...> wrote:
        > I like working with steel but it's noisy and you have to have nice
        neighbors if you do it more than once every couple years! LOL

        Great point Jeff and one worth seriously exploring by anyone
        contemplating a steel boat.My boat yard neighbour,who is building a
        Roberts 40, regularly makes so much noise, either hammering or
        grinding his welds, that I can hardly hear myself think(not that
        there is all that much going on up in my attic)but it is I who must
        wear ear plugs! Too bad there was not a way to build it so that it
        could be tuned,like a steel drum,all fired up for some Calypso
        music :-)Fortunately,he mostly works on Fridays and Saturdays but he
        tells me he has a few weeks vacation coming up in the middle of
        August...aaaaiiiieeeeeee!!!!!!!
        About the only way a person could pull off this sort of ear-drum
        shattering racket in their"backyard" would be if they lived in an
        area zoned for industrial...heavy industry...manufacturing. I cannot
        imagine a regular neighbourhood ever putting up with it for very
        long.At least not as long as it takes a part-timer to build a

        Sincerely,

        Peter Lenihan,not yet deaf but a little crazy nontheless,from along
        the shores of the St.Lawrence........