Re: Steel hulls, was AS-29's current form

  • Howard Stephenson
    Message 1 of 37 , Aug 1, 2004
      There are plenty of metal Bolger designs. One I was looking at again
      the other day is Currach, an open boat with a vee-bottomed semi-
      planing 24' x 7'7" hull made from 1/8" steel plate.

      In the same book (30-odd boats) there is Lion's Paw, a 39' sailing
      sharpie leeboard schooner with a 3/8" steel plate bottom (weighing
      2470 lb) and (1/8" I guess) steel topsides. It was welded together
      upright from complete panels made up flat, instant boat style, by
      someone who, according to Bolger, was neither boatbuilder nor welder -
      - although I reckon he'd have been entitled to call himself both by
      the time he'd finished.

      Another steel design with a simple shape is Solution 48, that long
      and 13' wide, with a 1/2" vee-bottom. Hull assembly took only 282 man
      hours. (Should I say person hours?)

      Something the size and weight of AS29 could perhaps be built in
      aluminium plate. There a companies in Australia, and no doubt
      elsewhere, that will cut to shape all the panels needed to build a
      plate aluminium boat. They say the rest is easy these days, with
      modern aluminium welding techniques, materials and equipment. I'd
      guess an aluminium hull, being thicker than the equivalent made of
      steel, would be almost as resistant as steel to being punctured by,
      say, the corner of a shipping container.

      Howard
    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 37 of 37 , Aug 4, 2004
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <boatbuilding@g...> wrote:
        > I like working with steel but it's noisy and you have to have nice
        neighbors if you do it more than once every couple years! LOL

        Great point Jeff and one worth seriously exploring by anyone
        contemplating a steel boat.My boat yard neighbour,who is building a
        Roberts 40, regularly makes so much noise, either hammering or
        grinding his welds, that I can hardly hear myself think(not that
        there is all that much going on up in my attic)but it is I who must
        wear ear plugs! Too bad there was not a way to build it so that it
        could be tuned,like a steel drum,all fired up for some Calypso
        music :-)Fortunately,he mostly works on Fridays and Saturdays but he
        tells me he has a few weeks vacation coming up in the middle of
        August...aaaaiiiieeeeeee!!!!!!!
        About the only way a person could pull off this sort of ear-drum
        shattering racket in their"backyard" would be if they lived in an
        area zoned for industrial...heavy industry...manufacturing. I cannot
        imagine a regular neighbourhood ever putting up with it for very
        long.At least not as long as it takes a part-timer to build a

        Sincerely,

        Peter Lenihan,not yet deaf but a little crazy nontheless,from along
        the shores of the St.Lawrence........