Steel hulls, was AS-29's current form

  • donschultz8275
    Message 1 of 37 , Aug 1, 2004
      "But I had in mind that the simple frameless shape required could be
      subcontracted out. The plates could be made stitch-and-glue style
      (cut to shape and welded together) out of relatively thick metal
      (1/4"?) without the high level of skill required to build a complete
      round-bottomed, or even multi-chined, hull out of 1/8" plate."

      I've been thinking to build an Illinois this way. IMO a company that
      builds steel tanks for for potable water or the oil industry could
      quickly and cheaply build a typical Bolger sharpie hull, IE an AS29
      up through the 100' Sir Joseph Banks. I would have such a hull built
      up to the gunwhales, and trucked to the site where it would be fitted
      with wooden decks, and an insulated/wooden interior. I see the
      advantage being not necessarily in cost or even time to build, but
      long term durability and safety of the hull. A long distance
      cruiser, is likely to take impact from debris, especially since it is
      more likely to be on the move at night. I'd rather take on such
      impact w' steel.

      In BWAOM, the Sir Joseph Banks essay, Bolger describes some details
      of building a big sharpie in steel. His arguments for steel in
      construction of that big sharpie make great sense. Of course, Bolger
      ALWAYS makes sense. Anyway, I can see his thoughts "scaling down"
      even to the 30' sailing boats.
    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 37 of 37 , Aug 4, 2004
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <boatbuilding@g...> wrote:
        > I like working with steel but it's noisy and you have to have nice
        neighbors if you do it more than once every couple years! LOL

        Great point Jeff and one worth seriously exploring by anyone
        contemplating a steel boat.My boat yard neighbour,who is building a
        Roberts 40, regularly makes so much noise, either hammering or
        grinding his welds, that I can hardly hear myself think(not that
        there is all that much going on up in my attic)but it is I who must
        wear ear plugs! Too bad there was not a way to build it so that it
        could be tuned,like a steel drum,all fired up for some Calypso
        music :-)Fortunately,he mostly works on Fridays and Saturdays but he
        tells me he has a few weeks vacation coming up in the middle of
        August...aaaaiiiieeeeeee!!!!!!!
        About the only way a person could pull off this sort of ear-drum
        shattering racket in their"backyard" would be if they lived in an
        area zoned for industrial...heavy industry...manufacturing. I cannot
        imagine a regular neighbourhood ever putting up with it for very
        long.At least not as long as it takes a part-timer to build a

        Sincerely,

        Peter Lenihan,not yet deaf but a little crazy nontheless,from along
        the shores of the St.Lawrence........