Re: [bolger] Re: lateen sails?

  • datenmull@gmx.at
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 1, 2004
      On 30 Jul 2004 at 12:36, pvanderwaart wrote:

      > in the sail without a vang. The downside, if it is one, of the lateen
      > is that the yard (upper boom) is long. This may be more convenient
      > that a long mast (as per Teale, Surf, etc) but is less convenient than
      > some sprit rigs with shorter spars. For the sailboard rig, the yard

      It is not only the length of the yard (which makes reefing zephyr in
      a chop quite interesting), but also its weight. little wind and
      motorboat wakes make the big stick jump about up there and it shakes
      any shape out of the sail. sitting on the lee side to heel the boat
      helps.

      have to admit my yard is not per plans but a fg windsurfer mast
      lenghtened a bit with a wooden plug at the heel. I don't know if my
      spar is heavier or lighter than the real thing.

      having said that, I like the overall performance of the rig A LOT.
      one string to pull, reefed shape is good, gybing is fun.
      plus, short mast + can be built of cheap materials.

      hannes
    • briancassity
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 1, 2004
        Yes, please, an image or two would be great! Please don't trouble yourself if you don't
        already have the images of the hinge. But if they do already exist and you could post
        them that would be great. I'm not sure where the pictures of "tween" are. I looked in the
        database and photos folders, but I didn't see a folder labeled "tween" there.

        Brian

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Heins" <eheins@c...> wrote:
        > If you look closely at the pictures of "tween" I know there's one on dadata :). The yard
        has about a 24 inch steel plate at the midsection on both sides of the spar. The way
        Michalak designed it is that by removing two through bolts on the top half of the plate (I
        use wing nuts) the yard seperates and folds neatly in half. The sail wraps around the yard
        tied with the rigging line, and it's ready for transport. I can take some digital pics of the
        hinge if you'd like.

      • briancassity
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 1, 2004
          Gotcha. Thanks!

          Brian

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John B. Trussell" <John.Trussell@w...> wrote:
          > It probably depends on what size sail you are talking about. On smaller sails, it
          probably doesn't matter much and you can get by with home supply " white wood "
          (which I think is some kind of hemlock). As your sail increases in size, I'd try for
          spruce or fir.

          > John T

          (978) 282-1349

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Ed Heins
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 1, 2004
            Ijust uploaded a few files of the lateen folding yard on Tween. They're in Bolder4 pictures "Tween"
            Yes, please, an image or two would be great! Please don't trouble yourself if you don't
            already have the images of the hinge. But if they do already exist and you could post
            them that would be great. I'm not sure where the pictures of "tween" are. I looked in the
            database and photos folders, but I didn't see a folder labeled "tween" there.

            Brian

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Heins" <eheins@c...> wrote:
            > If you look closely at the pictures of "tween" I know there's one on dadata :). The yard
            has about a 24 inch steel plate at the midsection on both sides of the spar. The way
            Michalak designed it is that by removing two through bolts on the top half of the plate (I
            use wing nuts) the yard seperates and folds neatly in half. The sail wraps around the yard
            tied with the rigging line, and it's ready for transport. I can take some digital pics of the
            hinge if you'd like.

            Bolger rules!!!

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • briancassity
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 2, 2004
              Thank you!

              Brian

              > Ijust uploaded a few files of the lateen folding yard on Tween. They're in Bolder4
              pictures "Tween"

                          &

              nbsp;           >

                          &

              nbsp;           &n
              > > bsp;> http://www.boat-links.com/    It s a damn poor mind that
              can

                          &
              > > nbsp;        > <Attributed
              > > Andrew Jackson>

              > > M=296967.5240014.6349583.3294649/D=groups/S=1705065791:HM/
              > > EXP=1091248195/A=2181364/R=0/id=flashurl/SIG=1304ck1na/*http://
              > > www.sodaclubusa.com/
              > > referrer.asp?redirect=rv_boat_camp.asp&referrer=0002_0015_0178_0002";>
              var
              > > link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";
              > > hm_ad_300x250_263_060804.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';> var lrec_altURL =
              > > M=296967.5240014.6349583.3294649/D=groups/S=1705065791:HM/
              > > EXP=1091248195/A=2181364/R=1/id=altimgurl/SIG=1304ck1na/*http://
              > > www.sodaclubusa.com/
              > > referrer.asp?redirect=rv_boat_camp.asp&referrer=0002_0015_0178_0002";>
              var
              > > lrec_altimg =
              > > alternate_300x250_060804.jpg";> var lrec_width = 300;

              Your

              > > Bolger rules!!!
              > > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, or flogging dead horses
              > > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978)
              282-
              > 1349
              > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              > > c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

              (978) 282-1349