Re: installing brass half oval on rubrails and sheer strip?

  • Peter Lenihan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2004
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Stancil" <jasonstancil@h...>
      wrote:
      > > What is the best way to mount half oval to your rubrails? Pre
      drill
      > the half oval, and bed in a ton of 5200 and sink in some screws on
      > say 12" centers?

      Jason,
      First ensure that your rub-rail is completely and totally
      sealed.Then,do a dry fit with your brass strip after drilling your
      screw holes......12" centers may be overkill(too close) but then
      again you may like the look.
      Once you are satisfied with how the brass strip sits,remove your
      screws,put a dab of your favorite compound(Sika Flex or 3M etc..)
      just on the screw tip and drive the screw home.The idea here being
      to simply keep water out of the screw hole while the screws do all
      the real holding of the strip.
      Keep in mind that unless you intend on coming up against
      concrete walls,like inside lock chambers or commercial warfs,the
      likelyhood of ever actually hitting anything with your rubrails,that
      your regular fenders don't already protect,remains rather slim.
      However,if and when you do ever hit your rubrail,you will be in
      a situation where more then just the rail is being hit.....believe
      me....and then it won't be the rail you'll be concerned about but
      the chine :-)

      It's half inch brass, hope it will bend easy enough
      > without looking kinky.....it comes rolled for shipping.

      Well.....if they send the stuff"rolled for shipping" it would appear
      more then bendy enough to handle the gentle sweep and shear of the
      rubrail :-)

      Good Luck!

      Peter Lenihan,ex-Micro owner/builder who never once hit his rubrail
      despite many lock transits,canal tie-ups,being Irish,raftings,movie
      shoots,full-steam-ahead drunken pirate raids,plain heavy use
      scenarios over a ten year span and I didn't even have a brass chafe
      strip......is that blind stupid luck or what? :-)