Re: [bolger] Re: AS-29's current form

    Message 1 of 37 , Jul 30, 2004
      > I googled bolger yonder but can't find any pictures. All i know is
      > it is an updated romp and appeared in MAIB. Know where any pictures
      > are. With a 10' beam it's too big to trailer this side of an 18
      > wheeler.

      http://hallman.org/bolger/yonder.gif

      Search the Bolger Yahoo Group, there was a lot of discussion when
      the MAIB articles came out a year ago. Both the AS29 and the
      Yonder are equivalent 'rental crane' and 'contract trucker' operations
      to get to water in my opinion.

      At first impression, the curvy hull of Yonder seems much more
      work than a sheet plywood AS29, but Yonder is strip planked
      on plywood bulkhead frames, without a high drama hull flip or
      trying to handle floppy 30 foot pieces of plywood. I imagine that
      edge nailed strips, with an air stapler, would go pretty quick.

      The inside fit out of the two would be about equal, and that is the
      bulk of the work anyway.
    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 37 of 37 , Aug 4, 2004
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <boatbuilding@g...> wrote:
        > I like working with steel but it's noisy and you have to have nice
        neighbors if you do it more than once every couple years! LOL

        Great point Jeff and one worth seriously exploring by anyone
        contemplating a steel boat.My boat yard neighbour,who is building a
        Roberts 40, regularly makes so much noise, either hammering or
        grinding his welds, that I can hardly hear myself think(not that
        there is all that much going on up in my attic)but it is I who must
        wear ear plugs! Too bad there was not a way to build it so that it
        could be tuned,like a steel drum,all fired up for some Calypso
        music :-)Fortunately,he mostly works on Fridays and Saturdays but he
        tells me he has a few weeks vacation coming up in the middle of
        August...aaaaiiiieeeeeee!!!!!!!
        About the only way a person could pull off this sort of ear-drum
        shattering racket in their"backyard" would be if they lived in an
        area zoned for industrial...heavy industry...manufacturing. I cannot
        imagine a regular neighbourhood ever putting up with it for very
        long.At least not as long as it takes a part-timer to build a

        Sincerely,

        Peter Lenihan,not yet deaf but a little crazy nontheless,from along
        the shores of the St.Lawrence........