AS-29's current form

  • Jason Stancil
    Message 1 of 37 , Jul 30, 2004
      For some reason i can't stop drooling over the AS-29.
      Even though i have no time money or space to build and cruise one.
      I know it has undergone some changes over the years since it's
      inception and write up in BWAOM......new fore foot & some type of
      steel shoe. I've seen what Bolger has OK'ed on the AS-39 Le Cabotan
      (spelling?...sorry) and wonder the current state of the AS-29. Where
      does bolger now stand on the seaworthy factor?....coastal cruiser or
      has it reach the point of offshore stability and sea keeping. There
      are quite a few of these monster out there, mostly australia it
      seems, but they all stay real close to shore.

      Also how do you attach a steel shoe with out letting water seep into
      the ply bottom? Dump truck load of 5200 followed by 18 coats of
      paint?

      Anyone that has built one how "intricate" are they?

      Jason
    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 37 of 37 , Aug 4, 2004
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <boatbuilding@g...> wrote:
        > I like working with steel but it's noisy and you have to have nice
        neighbors if you do it more than once every couple years! LOL

        Great point Jeff and one worth seriously exploring by anyone
        contemplating a steel boat.My boat yard neighbour,who is building a
        Roberts 40, regularly makes so much noise, either hammering or
        grinding his welds, that I can hardly hear myself think(not that
        there is all that much going on up in my attic)but it is I who must
        wear ear plugs! Too bad there was not a way to build it so that it
        could be tuned,like a steel drum,all fired up for some Calypso
        music :-)Fortunately,he mostly works on Fridays and Saturdays but he
        tells me he has a few weeks vacation coming up in the middle of
        August...aaaaiiiieeeeeee!!!!!!!
        About the only way a person could pull off this sort of ear-drum
        shattering racket in their"backyard" would be if they lived in an
        area zoned for industrial...heavy industry...manufacturing. I cannot
        imagine a regular neighbourhood ever putting up with it for very
        long.At least not as long as it takes a part-timer to build a

        Sincerely,

        Peter Lenihan,not yet deaf but a little crazy nontheless,from along
        the shores of the St.Lawrence........