lateen sails?

  • briancassity
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 29, 2004
      Does anyone know where I might find information on rigging a lateen (settee) sail? I
      know it should be simple compared to a Bermudian rig, but I'd still like further
      information on the lateen rig.

      Thanks in advance for any information that might help!

      Brian
    • Bill Paxton
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 29, 2004
        You might try the sailing canoe forum
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sailing_canoes

        Check the links for the American Canoe Association.
      • briancassity
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 29, 2004
          I am now signed on to that group too. I'm actually hoping to find information on
          boats larger than canoes (say, 25 ft. to 35 ft.), but will take a look at anything on the
          subject of lateen sails.

          Thanks!

          Brian

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Paxton" <bill@p...> wrote:
          > You might try the sailing canoe forum
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sailing_canoes
          >
          > Check the links for the American Canoe Association.
        • Howard Stephenson
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 29, 2004
            Brian,

            Bolger's "100 Small Boat Rigs" (is there a new edition
            called "101 ... Rigs"?) devotes nine pages to lateen rigs, including
            the settee and the boomed lateen. To attempt a summary: it's an
            efficient rig, but the long yard is unwieldy. You will find plenty of
            information on the www too. Don't forget to search Google Images.

            And here is a quotation from Bolger's preface that some might find
            amusing: "I'm told, though it's hard to believe, that there are
            individuals, even households, that don't possess an unabridged
            dictionary."

            These days, I doubt whether more than 1 in 20 English-speaking
            households would have one. But I guess, even twenty years ago, PCB
            was being ironic.

            Howard

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "briancassity" <briancassity@y...>
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 29, 2004
              briancassity rote:
              > Does anyone know where I might find information
              > on rigging a lateen (settee) sail?

              http://nabataea.net/ships.html

              ...has a good description of this rig.

              Bolger also describes it, Rig 21, in his book
              _103 Sailing Rigs_. [A great, must have, book.]

              I am unaware of Bolger ever using this sail
              rig on a boat of his design. Though he often
              uses the similar Dipping Lug rig.

              Looks like a great, old-fashioned, tried and
              tested, low tech rig!

              http://hallman.org/bolger/rigs/21.gif
            • briancassity
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 29, 2004
                Thanks for the advice, guys! I'll check out the Bolger book and look for the google
                images.

                Brian

              • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 29, 2004
                  Bolger put a loose-footed lateen sail on the Pirate Racer, and a boomed,
                  Sunfish-style lateen on Zephyr and, I think, the deep-sea fishing
                  sailboard.

                  --
                  John <jkohnen@...>
                  http://www.boat-links.com/
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 30, 2004
                    I built the prototype "Tween" dink from Jim Michalak. It's got an
                    interesting hinged latteen sail that works great. I always wondered why
                    this sail plan wasn't used more often. Regardless the hinged yard seems
                    to work as advertised and overall I like the look of the lateen vs a
                    lugger etc.>

                    > Bolger put a loose-footed lateen sail on the Pirate Racer, and a
                    > boomed, Sunfish-style lateen on Zephyr and, I think, the deep-sea
                    > fishing
                    > sailboard.
                    >
                    > On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:17:43 -0700, Bruce H wrote:
                    > > I am unaware of Bolger ever using this sail
                    > > rig on a boat of his design.  Though he often
                    > > uses the similar Dipping Lug rig.
                    > >
                    > > Looks like a great, old-fashioned, tried and
                    > > tested, low tech rig!
                    > >
                    > > http://hallman.org/bolger/rigs/21.gif
                    >
                    > --
                    >                         > John <jkohnen@...>
                    >                          > http://www.boat-links.com/    It s a damn poor mind that can
                    > think of only one way to spell a word!
                    >                      > <Attributed to Andrew Jackson>
                    >

                    > Bolger rules!!!
                    > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, or flogging dead horses -
                    > stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks, Fred' posts
                    > - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts, and snip away -
                    > Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax:
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    > var lrec_target="_top";
                    > var lrec_URL = new Array();
                    > lrec_URL[1] =
                    > "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129fluphn/M=296967.5240014.6349583.3294649/D=groups/S=1705065791:HM/EXP=1091248195/A=2181364/R=0/id=flashurl/SIG=1304ck1na/*http://www.sodaclubusa.com/referrer.asp?redirect=rv_boat_camp.asp&referrer=0002_0015_0178_0002";> var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";
                    > var lrec_flashfile =
                    > 'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/so/sodaclub/hm_ad_300x250_263_060804.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';> var lrec_altURL =
                    > "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129fluphn/M=296967.5240014.6349583.3294649/D=groups/S=1705065791:HM/EXP=1091248195/A=2181364/R=1/id=altimgurl/SIG=1304ck1na/*http://www.sodaclubusa.com/referrer.asp?redirect=rv_boat_camp.asp&referrer=0002_0015_0178_0002";> var lrec_altimg =
                    > "http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/so/sodaclub/alternate_300x250_060804.jpg";> var lrec_width = 300;
                    > var lrec_height = 250;

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >
                    > To visit your group on the web, go
                    > to:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger/  To unsubscribe from this
                    > use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
                  • pvanderwaart
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 30, 2004
                      > Bolger put a loose-footed lateen sail on the Pirate Racer,
                      > and a boomed, Sunfish-style lateen on Zephyr and, I think,
                      > the deep-sea fishing sailboard.(Nina)

                      He is also reported to have approved of putting the Sunfish lateen
                      rig on the $200 sailboat version of Featherwind, saying it was an
                      improvement.

                      Somewhere he pointed out that the Sunfish version controls the twist
                      in the sail without a vang. The downside, if it is one, of the
                      lateen is that the yard (upper boom) is long. This may be more
                      convenient that a long mast (as per Teale, Surf, etc) but is less
                      convenient than some sprit rigs with shorter spars. For the
                      sailboard rig, the yard and the boom are the same length. For a more
                      traditional lateen, the yard is longer than the foot and the boom is
                      sometimes omitted (as on the Pirate Racer).

                      Peter
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 30, 2004
                        > jhkohnen@... wrote:
                        > Bolger put a loose-footed lateen sail on the Pirate Racer, and a boomed,
                        > Sunfish-style lateen on Zephyr and, I think, the deep-sea fishing
                        > sailboard.

                        Pirate Racer has the classic Lateen, rig 20. while Zephyr, Tortoise,
                        [and even Superbrick!] have the 'Mediterranean' Lateen with Boom rig 22.
                        As does the deep sea fishing boat I think you are mention, the Nina.

                        Brian Cassity was asking about the Settee, [Arabian Lateen],
                        Rig 21, which is four sided with a short luff.
                      • briancassity
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 31, 2004
                          What do you mean by "hinged"? I'm picturing the hinge in the yard. Is that right?
                          Instead of tying two shorter yards together to form one long one? Got any pictures of
                          that rig?

                          Thanks!

                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, <eheins@c...> wrote:
                          > I built the prototype "Tween" dink from Jim Michalak. It's got an
                          > interesting hinged latteen sail that works great. I always wondered why
                          > this sail plan wasn't used more often. Regardless the hinged yard seems
                          > to work as advertised and overall I like the look of the lateen vs a
                          > lugger etc.>
                          > >
                          > > Bolger put a loose-footed lateen sail on the Pirate Racer, and a
                          > > boomed, Sunfish-style lateen on Zephyr and, I think, the deep-sea
                          > > fishing
                          > > sailboard.
                          > >
                          > > On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:17:43 -0700, Bruce H wrote:
                          > > > I am unaware of Bolger ever using this sail
                          > > > rig on a boat of his design.  Though he often
                          > > > uses the similar Dipping Lug rig.
                          > > >
                          > > > Looks like a great, old-fashioned, tried and
                          > > > tested, low tech rig!
                          > > >
                          > > > http://hallman.org/bolger/rigs/21.gif
                          > >
                          > > --

                                      &
                          nbsp;           >
                          John jkohnen@b...

                                      &
                          nbsp;           &n
                          bsp;> http://www.boat-links.com/    It s a damn poor mind that can
                          > > think of only one way to spell a word!

                                      &
                          nbsp;        > <Attributed to
                          Andrew Jackson>

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 31, 2004
                            Guys, I thank you for the answers, and now I have another question. Do any of the
                            lateen sail plans in _100 Small Boat Plans_ offer any suggestions on what type of
                            wood to use for the long yard of a lateen sail? I've read that one can use ash for
                            battens in a junk rig, so perhaps one or two ash rods together would make a good
                            lateen yard...

                            Brian

                            > > jhkohnen@b... wrote:
                            > > Bolger put a loose-footed lateen sail on the Pirate Racer, and a boomed,
                            > > Sunfish-style lateen on Zephyr and, I think, the deep-sea fishing
                            > > sailboard.
                            >
                            > Pirate Racer has the classic Lateen, rig 20. while Zephyr, Tortoise,
                            > [and even Superbrick!] have the 'Mediterranean' Lateen with Boom rig 22.
                            > As does the deep sea fishing boat I think you are mention, the Nina.
                            >
                            > Brian Cassity was asking about the Settee, [Arabian Lateen],
                            > Rig 21, which is four sided with a short luff.
                          • Dennis
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 31, 2004
                              In mine, I used 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 conveniently and cheaply ripped from a
                              suitable 2x4 of spf. I've not had a failure in 4 years. Knots are not
                              a good thing unless they are small and tight.

                              Dennis

                              wrote:
                              > Guys, I thank you for the answers, and now I have another question.
                              Do any of the
                              > lateen sail plans in _100 Small Boat Plans_ offer any suggestions
                              on what type of
                              > wood to use for the long yard of a lateen sail? I've read that one
                              can use ash for
                              > battens in a junk rig, so perhaps one or two ash rods together
                              would make a good
                              > lateen yard...
                              >
                              > Brian
                              >
                              > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Hallman <bruce@h...> wrote:
                              > > > jhkohnen@b... wrote:
                              > > > Bolger put a loose-footed lateen sail on the Pirate Racer, and
                              a boomed,
                              > > > Sunfish-style lateen on Zephyr and, I think, the deep-sea
                              fishing
                              > > > sailboard.
                              > >
                              > > Pirate Racer has the classic Lateen, rig 20. while Zephyr,
                              Tortoise,
                              > > [and even Superbrick!] have the 'Mediterranean' Lateen with Boom
                              rig 22.
                              > > As does the deep sea fishing boat I think you are mention, the
                              Nina.

                              > > Brian Cassity was asking about the Settee, [Arabian Lateen],
                              > > Rig 21, which is four sided with a short luff.
                            • Ed Heins
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 31, 2004
                                If you look closely at the pictures of "tween" I know there's one on dadata :). The yard has about a 24 inch steel plate at the midsection on both sides of the spar. The way Michalak designed it is that by removing two through bolts on the top half of the plate (I use wing nuts) the yard seperates and folds neatly in half. The sail wraps around the yard tied with the rigging line, and it's ready for transport. I can take some digital pics of the hinge if you'd like.
                                What do you mean by "hinged"? I'm picturing the hinge in the yard. Is that right?
                                Instead of tying two shorter yards together to form one long one? Got any pictures of
                                that rig?

                                Thanks!

                                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, <eheins@c...> wrote:
                                > I built the prototype "Tween" dink from Jim Michalak. It's got an
                                > interesting hinged latteen sail that works great. I always wondered why
                                > this sail plan wasn't used more often. Regardless the hinged yard seems
                                > to work as advertised and overall I like the look of the lateen vs a
                                > lugger etc.>
                                > >
                                > > Bolger put a loose-footed lateen sail on the Pirate Racer, and a
                                > > boomed, Sunfish-style lateen on Zephyr and, I think, the deep-sea
                                > > fishing
                                > > sailboard.
                                > >
                                > > On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:17:43 -0700, Bruce H wrote:
                                > > > I am unaware of Bolger ever using this sail
                                > > > rig on a boat of his design.  Though he often
                                > > > uses the similar Dipping Lug rig.
                                > > >
                                > > > Looks like a great, old-fashioned, tried and
                                > > > tested, low tech rig!
                                > > >
                                > > > http://hallman.org/bolger/rigs/21.gif
                                > >
                                > > --

                                            &
                                nbsp;           >
                                John jkohnen@b...

                                            &
                                nbsp;           &n
                                bsp;> http://www.boat-links.com/    It s a damn poor mind that can
                                > > think of only one way to spell a word!

                                            &
                                nbsp;        > <Attributed to
                                Andrew Jackson>

                                > > Bolger rules!!!
                                > > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, or flogging dead horses -
                                > > stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks, Fred' posts
                                > > - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts, and snip away -
                                > > Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax:
                                > >

                                > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                > > var lrec_target="_top";
                                > > var lrec_URL = new Array();
                                > > lrec_URL[1] =
                                > > "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129fluphn/
                                M=296967.5240014.6349583.3294649/D=groups/S=1705065791:HM/
                                EXP=1091248195/A=2181364/R=0/id=flashurl/SIG=1304ck1na/*http://
                                www.sodaclubusa.com/
                                referrer.asp?redirect=rv_boat_camp.asp&referrer=0002_0015_0178_0002";> var
                                link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";
                                > > var lrec_flashfile =
                                > > 'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/so/sodaclub/
                                hm_ad_300x250_263_060804.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';> var lrec_altURL =
                                > > "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129fluphn/
                                M=296967.5240014.6349583.3294649/D=groups/S=1705065791:HM/
                                EXP=1091248195/A=2181364/R=1/id=altimgurl/SIG=1304ck1na/*http://
                                www.sodaclubusa.com/
                                referrer.asp?redirect=rv_boat_camp.asp&referrer=0002_0015_0178_0002";> var
                                lrec_altimg =
                                > > "http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/so/sodaclub/
                                alternate_300x250_060804.jpg";> var lrec_width = 300;
                                > > var lrec_height = 250;

                                > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                > >
                                > > To visit your group on the web, go
                                > > to:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger/  To unsubscribe from this
                                > > use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                                Bolger rules!!!

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              • John B. Trussell
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 31, 2004
                                  It probably depends on what size sail you are talking about. On smaller sails, it probably doesn't matter much and you can get by with home supply " white wood " (which I think is some kind of hemlock). As your sail increases in size, I'd try for spruce or fir.

                                  John T

                                • datenmull@gmx.at
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 1, 2004
                                    On 30 Jul 2004 at 12:36, pvanderwaart wrote:

                                    > in the sail without a vang. The downside, if it is one, of the lateen
                                    > is that the yard (upper boom) is long. This may be more convenient
                                    > that a long mast (as per Teale, Surf, etc) but is less convenient than
                                    > some sprit rigs with shorter spars. For the sailboard rig, the yard

                                    It is not only the length of the yard (which makes reefing zephyr in
                                    a chop quite interesting), but also its weight. little wind and
                                    motorboat wakes make the big stick jump about up there and it shakes
                                    any shape out of the sail. sitting on the lee side to heel the boat
                                    helps.

                                    have to admit my yard is not per plans but a fg windsurfer mast
                                    lenghtened a bit with a wooden plug at the heel. I don't know if my
                                    spar is heavier or lighter than the real thing.

                                    having said that, I like the overall performance of the rig A LOT.
                                    one string to pull, reefed shape is good, gybing is fun.
                                    plus, short mast + can be built of cheap materials.

                                    hannes
                                  • briancassity
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 1, 2004
                                      Yes, please, an image or two would be great! Please don't trouble yourself if you don't
                                      already have the images of the hinge. But if they do already exist and you could post
                                      them that would be great. I'm not sure where the pictures of "tween" are. I looked in the
                                      database and photos folders, but I didn't see a folder labeled "tween" there.

                                      Brian

                                    • briancassity
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 1, 2004
                                        Gotcha. Thanks!

                                        Brian

                                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John B. Trussell" <John.Trussell@w...> wrote:
                                        > It probably depends on what size sail you are talking about. On smaller sails, it
                                        probably doesn't matter much and you can get by with home supply " white wood "
                                        (which I think is some kind of hemlock). As your sail increases in size, I'd try for
                                        spruce or fir.

                                        > John T

                                        (978) 282-1349

                                        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                      • Ed Heins
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 1, 2004
                                          Ijust uploaded a few files of the lateen folding yard on Tween. They're in Bolder4 pictures "Tween"
                                          Yes, please, an image or two would be great! Please don't trouble yourself if you don't
                                          already have the images of the hinge. But if they do already exist and you could post
                                          them that would be great. I'm not sure where the pictures of "tween" are. I looked in the
                                          database and photos folders, but I didn't see a folder labeled "tween" there.

                                          Brian

                                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Heins" <eheins@c...> wrote:
                                          > If you look closely at the pictures of "tween" I know there's one on dadata :). The yard
                                          has about a 24 inch steel plate at the midsection on both sides of the spar. The way
                                          Michalak designed it is that by removing two through bolts on the top half of the plate (I
                                          use wing nuts) the yard seperates and folds neatly in half. The sail wraps around the yard
                                          tied with the rigging line, and it's ready for transport. I can take some digital pics of the
                                          hinge if you'd like.

                                          Bolger rules!!!

                                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                        • briancassity
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Aug 2, 2004
                                            Thank you!

                                            Brian

                                            > Ijust uploaded a few files of the lateen folding yard on Tween. They're in Bolder4
                                            pictures "Tween"

                                                        &

                                            nbsp;           >

                                                        &

                                            nbsp;           &n
                                            > > bsp;> http://www.boat-links.com/    It s a damn poor mind that
                                            can

                                                        &
                                            > > nbsp;        > <Attributed
                                            > > Andrew Jackson>

                                            > > M=296967.5240014.6349583.3294649/D=groups/S=1705065791:HM/
                                            > > EXP=1091248195/A=2181364/R=0/id=flashurl/SIG=1304ck1na/*http://
                                            > > www.sodaclubusa.com/
                                            > > referrer.asp?redirect=rv_boat_camp.asp&referrer=0002_0015_0178_0002";>
                                            var
                                            > > link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";
                                            > > hm_ad_300x250_263_060804.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';> var lrec_altURL =
                                            > > M=296967.5240014.6349583.3294649/D=groups/S=1705065791:HM/
                                            > > EXP=1091248195/A=2181364/R=1/id=altimgurl/SIG=1304ck1na/*http://
                                            > > www.sodaclubusa.com/
                                            > > referrer.asp?redirect=rv_boat_camp.asp&referrer=0002_0015_0178_0002";>
                                            var
                                            > > lrec_altimg =
                                            > > alternate_300x250_060804.jpg";> var lrec_width = 300;

                                            Your

                                            > > Bolger rules!!!
                                            > > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, or flogging dead horses
                                            > > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978)
                                            282-
                                            > 1349
                                            > >

                                            > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                            > > c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                                            (978) 282-1349