Re: [bolger] Gloucester Gull Dory - RECTIFICATION !

    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 27, 2004
      > David Ryan wrote:
      > Once the wave breaks, there's almost nothing
      > you can do to keep the stern from slewing around.

      The more I look at this, I now realize that Bolger
      address' this issue by designing the bottom of
      the stern with an abrupt up-turn. [reducing
      buoyancy in the stern while surfing which
      reduces downward force on the bow.]

      Plus, he incorporates a large fin/skeg at the stern
      in such a way that the skeg doesn't really
      engage much in flat water, [but it engages
      strongly while surfing.]

      See:

      http://hallman.org/bolger/Crystal/stern.gif