Re: bolger diablo (15ft)

  • Stacey Strickland
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 26, 2004
      Hugo,

      Thanks for the input on motors. I already have a 9.9hp Suzuki 4-
      stroke, and I'm not going to be purchasing another motor. My #1 goal
      is to get the most capability, performance, and ease of construction
      package that I possibly can without spending any more money than I
      have to.

      If I can get an efficent 16-20 mph out of the Diablo with the 9.9hp,
      that suits me fine. Where I operate in Charleston harbor, the chop is
      going to limit me to about that speed anyway so the pounding won't be
      too bad.

      Stacey

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Hugo Tyson <hhetyson@y...> wrote:
      > 20 HP would be fine on a Diablo (So would a 15HP 4 stroke with the
      right propeller), you may lose a few mphs top speed but probably no
      more than about 5mph. Most 20 and 25 HP outboards are exactly the
      same engines ( from my reading of Mercury's 2003 catalogue) but the
      larger HP just has a different carburettor and in some cases a
      slightly higher rev range.

      > I believe a Diablo could safely handle 40HP with a sensible and
      experienced user and a bit of strengthening in the transom and floor
      to stop them flexing.

      > If I was going to buy an outboard for my Diablo again I'd probably
      checkout a 15HP 4 stroke and get the right prop so she'd do about 20
      mph, maybe a little better, without that vile and annoying roar of a
      two stroke motor!