The Balanced Lug Micro

  • dbaldnz
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2004
      The green balanced lug micro rig looks ideal to me, for a simple
      knock-about rig. It has a couple of advantages- good sized mainsail
      (or it could be), but still with a low centre of area. And if you
      want a swinging mast, a nice short one, which will greatly reduce
      the size and stress on the tabernacle. And of course, easy to reef.
      I was looking at this rig too, before I bought the Navigator plans.
      In fact, because Bolger was so busy, I asked John Welsford to design
      me a similar rig, but he was employed as well as boat designing. He
      said he would, but time dragged on....then I saw the Navigator....
      Jason, you could add a lug rig to your list of queries to Bolger?
      For a trailer boat, I feel it would be a more practical proposition
      than the chinese gaff, for which you need a check list as long as a
      Boeing 747's, before you start erecting masts! I was most annoyed
      with myself last week when I realized I had forgotten to tie one
      connection before putting the mast up. I found out when I went to
      hoist the main, and the whole damned thing had to be pulled apart
      again.
      DonB