Re: How much sail lead in a micro?

  • dbaldnz
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 1, 2004
      You don't have a hook in the leach of your mainsail do you Todd?
      This often causes weather helm. Short battens cures it usually.
      DonB
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Todd" <ktsrfer@m...> wrote:
      > I wanted to know how much leed? I also mean winds above 15knots
      not
      > below 15mph. With the mizzen sheeted tight still lots of weather
      helm
      > and when main sail is reefed with mizzen still flying eases the
      > weather helm sure butt we have wicked short steep chop and it
      seems
      > the hull could handle more sail area but I would like it with out
      the
      > weather helm.
      >
      > How much leed would one need?
      >
      > Todd
      >
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Derby" <derbyrm@s...> wrote:
      > > While we're picking on Jason ...
      > >
      > > Sail lead (leed) is measured as a percentage of the Load Water
      > Line.
      > >
      > > Lead (led) for ballest is measured in pounds.
      > >
      > > Roger :-)
      > > derbyrm@s...
      > > derbyrm.mystarband.net/default.htm

    • Roger Derby
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 1, 2004
        That whole business of calculating the lead bothers me more than somewhat.
        It may be a useful tool for taking a boat that exists only on paper and
        making sure it will not be too awful when built, but once you have a hull
        and rig, your feel under sail is a whole lot more useful.

        Slacking the main sheet will reduce both heel and weather helm.

        How much heel are you experiencing when the weather helm becomes
        objectionable? Perhaps you'd be happier with a more deeply reefed main that
        let her sail more upright. Once the sail thrust is off to the side ( boat
        heeled), it is trying to drive the bow into the wind.

        Sail shape (full or flat)? Vanged? Change luff and foot tension to control
        the shape? Have the sail re-cut for the higher winds you enjoy? Do you
        have the leech line pulled too tight so that the cupped leach moves the CE
        aft and increases the weather helm?

        Is she on her lines, fore and aft? Changing the pitch trim will change the
        lead, but which way depends on the hull's lines.

        On what point of sail are you most unhappy with the helm balance? If you're
        not beating to windward, you might be better off with the centerboard raised
        a little. In my mind, raising the centerboard will move the center of
        lateral resistance aft and thus increase the lead and reduce the weather
        helm. (Unlike a dagger board.) Actually, it's possible that "raising" the
        CB a few inches will just move it aft and not reduce the exposed area
        significantly.

        Main mast rake?

        The only boat that I have sufficient experience with personally is the
        Sunfish, and all I proved is that the racing bible, "Sail It Flat," was
        right. Running, you're all the way aft. Beating, you're as far forward as
        you can get and still hike out to keep the mast vertical. That was back
        when I had abs.

        The Micro has a very different hull than the Sunfish, so the answers are
        probably different, but there are a lot of things to play with. Have fun.

        Roger
        derbyrm@...
        derbyrm.mystarband.net/default.htm

        > I wanted to know how much leed? I also mean winds above 15knots not
        > below 15mph. With the mizzen sheeted tight still lots of weather helm
        > and when main sail is reefed with mizzen still flying eases the
        > weather helm sure butt we have wicked short steep chop and it seems
        > the hull could handle more sail area but I would like it with out the
        > weather helm.
        >
        > How much leed would one need?
        >
        > Todd
        >
        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Derby" <derbyrm@s...> wrote:
        > > While we're picking on Jason ...
        > >
        > > Sail lead (leed) is measured as a percentage of the Load Water
        > Line.
        > >
        > > Lead (led) for ballest is measured in pounds.
        > >
        > > Roger :-)
        > > derbyrm@s...
        > > derbyrm.mystarband.net/default.htm

      • Todd
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 1, 2004
          Believe it or not I'm a pretty seasoned micro sailor. Sailed hands
          off from the marina exit half way to catalina Island fell asleep woke
          up just before hitting one of the farthest oil islands. Turned around
          and headed back. Sure could use more sail on the down hill rides.
          Another time out went right after a big storm big swells 6 to 8 feet
          maybe even bigger, we were surrounded by water in the trough. Winds
          about 15 to 18 knots. Over the three years off sailing my micro those
          are the only two that where cause for any real excitment. The micro
          is a great sailing craft I think but What do I know, only what I
          experince. I don't have a problem with the reefing or a hook in the
          leech. I'm not beating straight onto the wind either. The question
          has risen from my interest in moving the mast foward on a tabernackle
          and maybe adding a junk sail. I don't know much but would this
          increase the percentage of leed and in turn reduce weather helm and
          or be able to carry more sail area and not effect the balance as the
          standard rig?

          Todd

          I posted a file of Todds micro sampan in bolgers 4 have a look what
          do you think put some fun back into my micro I think.

        • Jason Stancil
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 1, 2004
            Todd-

            Once again my micro navigator is 60 days from launch so you know
            better than I.

            Have you thought about trying the navigator rig? More sail, with
            more control and it's almost a junk rig. Bolger is finishing up a
            sketch of the navigator with a larger mizzen and the main mast in a
            tabernacle out in front of the bow transom.....maybe a battened
            mizzen (heres hoping).

            just a thought, i'll post some scans when my blue tube arrives.

            Are those photos of the red and white micro your's?.....that's a
            nice one.

            Jason

            >The question
            > has risen from my interest in moving the mast foward on a
            tabernackle
            > and maybe adding a junk sail. I don't know much but would this
            > increase the percentage of leed and in turn reduce weather helm
            and
            > or be able to carry more sail area and not effect the balance as
            the
            > standard rig?
          • Roger Derby
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 1, 2004
              I'm just regurgitating what I've read and tried, not passing judgement.

              My Chebacco is a looong way from launch, but it's tabernacle looks
              interesting because the mast's foot is held into it with turnbuckles. Add a
              spacer inside before tightening the turnbuckles and you've changed the mast
              rake.

              When I was planning and building my copy of Badger, a J. Benford designed
              junk rig schooner featured in Annie Hill's great book "Voyaging on a Small
              Income," I read everything I could find on the junk rig. I like it! The
              bible for that one is Hassler and McCleod's "Practical Junk Rig." They
              include the procedure (in excruciating detail) for converting from more
              standard rigs. They also give some example rigs in the back of the book.

              If you get hold of a copy, skim thru it first as they seem to cover the same
              process several times and some explanations are clearer or more useful.
              (There's also a lot of great, non-junk rig stuff shown; e.g. mast sizing and
              construction, lightning protection, a conning dome and associated igloo-like
              dodger, etc.)

              Where they are talking of converting to a junk rig, they tend to keep the
              center of the sail plan in the same place as it was on the original rig
              IIRC. There's room to play here because there is (or can be) a line which
              adjusts how much of the sail is forward of the mast. The junk sail is often
              significantly larger than the sail it replaces because it's so easy to reef.

              I don't think I'd bother trying to change the calculated lead when going to
              a junk rig. The sail shapes are so different that it's apples and oranges.
              I'd try it and then trim it.

              > I posted a file of Todds micro sampan in bolgers 4 have a look
              > what do you think put some fun back into my micro I think.

              It does look like fun. You'll get more area up high where it isn't becalmed
              by the waves as often, and you will start a lot of conversations.

              Sheeting is a problem with the junk rig. I think the scheme you show will
              interfere with the junk sail on the mizzen.

              I'd try eliminating sheet #3 and combining #1 & #2 with an euphroe so you
              have a single line to diddle. IIRC, they don't usually sheet the gaff or
              topmost battan. Your scheme will give better control of the sail's sag, but
              the winds are fairer aloft so that may not be needed.

              The Chinese often have two sets of sheets, port and starboard, on each sail,
              when the masts are too close together or the hull ends too soon.

              Without calculating the centers of the sails, it doesn't look like you've
              changed the CE for the main much at all. With the Chinese scheme of merging
              the many into a single sheet, reefing is automatic -- no extra lines needed.
              Just start the halyard, then tighten the sheet and the yard hauling parrel
              at your leisure. The pull of the lower elements of the sheet automatically
              holds the lower battans down where you want them, snuggled in their lazy
              jacks.

              Roger
              derbyrm@...
> [...]

              > > helm. (Unlike a dagger board.) Actually, it's possible
              > that "raising" the
              > > CB a few inches will just move it aft and not reduce the exposed
              > area
              > > significantly.
              > >
              > > Main mast rake?
              > >
              > > The only boat that I have sufficient experience with personally is
              > the
              > > Sunfish, and all I proved is that the racing bible, "Sail It Flat,"
              > was
              > > right. Running, you're all the way aft. Beating, you're as far
              > forward as
              > > you can get and still hike out to keep the mast vertical. That was
              > back
              > > when I had abs.
              > >
              > > The Micro has a very different hull than the Sunfish, so the
              > answers are
              > > probably different, but there are a lot of things to play with.

              (978) 282-1349
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Peter Lenihan
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 2, 2004
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Todd" <ktsrfer@m...> wrote:
                The question
                > has risen from my interest in moving the mast foward on a
                tabernackle
                > and maybe adding a junk sail. I don't know much but would this
                > increase the percentage of leed and in turn reduce weather helm
                and
                > or be able to carry more sail area and not effect the balance as
                the
                > standard rig?
                >
                > Todd

                Hi Todd,
                Just curious but if you are doing your sailing along the
                beautiful sunny coast of Southern California,why would you need a
                tabernacle for you mainmast anyway? Surely there can't be that many
                low lying bridges to contend with :-)
                As long as the center of effort for the junk mainsail remains
                in the same postion as on the standard Micro rig,I think it fair to
                conclude that handling the helm will be the same.
                However,if you start shifting centers around without
                considering other adjustments,then you could be setting yourself for
                some disappointment.
                Perhaps to get the best return on your proposed modification,it
                would be best to write the designer for specs. best suited for your
                needs?
                Sorry I can't be more helpful :-(

                Sincerely,

                Peter Lenihan
              • Peter Lenihan
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 2, 2004
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Todd" <ktsrfer@m...> wrote:
                  I also mean winds above 15knots not
                  > below 15mph. With the mizzen sheeted tight still lots of weather
                  helm
                  > and when main sail is reefed with mizzen still flying eases the
                  > weather helm sure butt we have wicked short steep chop and it
                  seems
                  > the hull could handle more sail area but I would like it with out
                  the
                  > weather helm.
                  > Todd

                  Another thought; do you have two reef points or just the one shown
                  on the original Micro sail plan? I had a second one put in about
                  half way between the foot of the sail and the first(only) reef
                  points shown on the original plans.
                  I did this since I found that the original reefed main was only
                  slightly larger then the mizzen in area and just about left the boat
                  dead in the water in winds between 15 and about 25 knots.Putting in
                  that second set of reef points allowed me to have better control
                  over the amount of de-powering of the rig without going straight
                  into full gale mode :-)

                  Sincerely,

                  Peter Lenihan
                • Peter Lenihan
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 2, 2004
                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Todd" <ktsrfer@m...> wrote:
                    > I posted a file of Todds micro sampan in bolgers 4 have a look
                    what
                    > do you think put some fun back into my micro I think.

                    Todd,
                    I love that nifty image of your sampan! In particular,it has the
                    proportions such that it could be almost any size and still look
                    good. Lots of great interior room too,I suspect :-)
                    Sadly, I don't think it will help much in putting some fun back
                    into your Micro since it is begining to get further away from the
                    clean simple elegance afforded by the original Micro design.
                    Nevertheless, your rendering certainly merits further study and
                    perhaps even a proper design work-up,on a fresh clean sheet of
                    drafting paper. Imagine this design about 20' to 24' loa,with full
                    standing headroom,enclosed head,leeboards,flat steel-plate on
                    outside of hull bottom for ballast and grounding protection.....!
                    You could call it the TODDPAN 24 and market it world wide from
                    the confines of your own floating office which,of course, would be
                    the prototype of this new design offering :-)
                    Now that sounds like good fun to me :-)

                    Sincerely,

                    Peter Lenihan
                  • pvanderwaart
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 2, 2004
                      > Mizzen behind the helm = yawl
                      > Mizzen forward of helm = ketch

                      In Bolgerland,

                      Mizzen just for balance = yawl
                      Mizzen provides drive = ketch

                      Peter
                    • dangonn@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 2, 2004
                        Seems to me that's a good suggestion...adding another set of reef points to give another
                        reefing option for the conditions. I haven't suffered from too much weather helm with my
                        Long Micro (which has a similar rig). I keep the mizzen snotter quite tight so that I can
                        sheet in the mizzen a bit harder than the mainsail.

                        Wouldn't moving the mainsail forward increase (not decrease) weather helm? The more
                        lead the more weather helm, right? Or maybe I have this reversed. Just curious, thanks.

                        Hope that helps,

                        Dan

                        Long Micro pages: http://www.znw.com/homepage/zephyr.htm

                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@h...> wrote:
                        > Another thought; do you have two reef points or just the one shown
                        > on the original Micro sail plan? I had a second one put in about
                        > half way between the foot of the sail and the first(only) reef
                        > points shown on the original plans.
                        > I did this since I found that the original reefed main was only
                        > slightly larger then the mizzen in area and just about left the boat
                        > dead in the water in winds between 15 and about 25 knots.Putting in
                        > that second set of reef points allowed me to have better control
                        > over the amount of de-powering of the rig without going straight
                        > into full gale mode :-)
                        >
                        > Sincerely,
                        >
                        > Peter Lenihan
                      • Bill Kreamer
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 2, 2004
                          Lead produces lee helm (because the sail’s center of effort, CE, is
                          forward of the hull’s center of lateral resistance, CLR); more lead =
                          more lee helm. - Bill

                          wrote:
                          > Another thought; do you have two reef points or just the one shown
                          > on the original Micro sail plan? I had a second one put in about
                          > half way between the foot of the sail and the first(only) reef
                          > points shown on the original plans.
                          > I did this since I found that the original reefed main was only
                          > slightly larger then the mizzen in area and just about left the boat
                          > dead in the water in winds between 15 and about 25 knots.Putting in
                          > that second set of reef points allowed me to have better control
                          > over the amount of de-powering of the rig without going straight
                          > into full gale mode :-)
                          >
                          > Sincerely,
                          >
                          > Peter Lenihan

                          Bolger rules!!!
                          - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930,
                          Fax: (978) 282-1349

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129mqos5m/M=296967.5106131.6227187.3294649/
                          D=groups/S=1705065791:HM/EXP=1088865053/A=2196952/R=2/id=noscript/SIG=13
                          04ck1na/*http:/www.sodaclubusa.com/referrer.asp?redirect=rv_boat_camp.as
                          p&referrer=0002_0015_0178_0002%20>

                          <http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/so/sodaclub/alternate_320x250_06150
                          4.jpg>