Re: [bolger] Flag Protocol

  • Bob Johnson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2004
      Bruce,

      The advice from rec.cruising is correct. The aftermost mast is the
      place of honor for the national ensign. It is also now considered
      correct to fly from a stern staff, if your boat will permit it.

      Here are links to a couple of articles I found (there are entire books
      on the subject, because flag flying used to be taken much more
      seriously).

      <http://www.sailnet.com/collections/articles/
      index.cfm?articleid=rousma0041>

      <http://www.usps.org/f_stuff/etiquett.html#honoring-o-n-flags>

      Historically, ensigns were originally flown from stern staffs from the
      high quarter decks of square rigged sailing vessels. Then with the
      advent of fore-and-aft rig and the overhanging long boom typical then,
      this position was no longer usable. Hence the shift to the peak of the
      gaff of the aftermost mast. Then came the shift to marconi sail and the
      move to the 2/3rds up the leech of the aftermost mast. Now that most
      production sailboats have short booms, the stern staff has begun to
      come back into acceptance. Also, many have substituted 2/3rds up the
      back stay for the leech, if the backstay would interfere. The aft end
      of the ship has been the position of honor since at least roman times
      because that is where the high muckety-mucks always have congregated:)

      Bob

      On Thursday, July 1, 2004, at 05:55 PM, bolger@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Message: 9
      > Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 07:58:24 -0700
      > From: Bruce Hallman <bruce@...>
      > Subject: Re: Flag Protocol
      >
      > Thanks Bob, I appreciate your advice. My boat has a gaff mainsail, and
      > a triangular mizzen sail. The 'mixed' advice I get from the
      > rec.cruising newsgroup is to fly the national emblem from 2/3rds up
      > the leech of the mizzen. If I were to attach the flag to the main
      > gaff, would the top grommet fasten to the tip of the gaff, and the
      > bottom grommet to the leech of the sail?
      >

      > On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 17:34:55 -0400, Bob Johnson <dredbob@...>
      > wrote:
      >>
      >> Forgive me if someone else has already mentioned this, I've been on
      >> vacation for a week an d am working my way through a weeks worth of
      >> Bolger Digests.
      >>
      >> On a sail rig with a gaff or yard, the traditional place for the US
      >> Ensign (either the 50 stars or the circle & anchor version) is at the
      >> peak of the gaff, that is at the top, rear edge of the sail, on the
      >> aftermost mast in the case of vessels with more than one mast. The
      >> 2/3s up the leech on a marconi sail came about in approximation of
      >> where the gaff would be if the sail were a gaff main with a topsail
      >> set
      >> above.
      >>
      >> The Coast Guard Auxiliary and the US Power Squadron both have info on
      >> flag protocol on their web sites.
      >>
      >> Bob
      >>

      >> Bolger rules!!!
    • kiwidadd
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2004
        Bruce
        from an old naval fella, for yr gaff mainsail the flag halyard should
        be attached: upper block to upper/outer end of gaff, lower
        fastening to tack point of boom. for singlehanded adjustments,
        bring the halyard back from the tack point along the boom, until you
        can reach the fastening from the cockpit.
        howard