Stanley Handyman Plane Assistance

  • craig o'donnell
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1 6:33 AM
      I've got a couple or three yard-sale planes that didn't cost me much, but
      unfortunately were stored last winter under a leak in the shop (shed) roof
      which became a torrent in Hurricane Izz and filled the plastic tool carrier
      where they were living, with water. It was months before I noticed.

      A few months back I took them apart and set the pieces aside for cleaning
      and de-rusting. Then in the meantime the usual chaos has ensued in the shop
      environs.

      Oops. Somehow, I have lost the plane iron (blade) for the "Stanley
      Handyman" plane I have. This plane is about 9" by 2" and may also be called
      a B2. I think I paid $3 or $5 for the whole thing at a yard sale, so no
      great loss, but on the othre hand I don't want to spend a lot on a new
      blade.

      Searched eBay for a used plane iron without much success. I figure I could
      buy a complete plane from eBay but then that's a waste of a good plane
      either way, and besides, I don't need more planes. I enjoy planes, but I
      don't collect planes.

      So.

      Anyone have a source for used plane irons, or anyone have a scrapped
      "Handyman" they would let go for cheap?

      I figure what with the wacky bunch we have reading the Bolger list, someone
      will know something.

      As a side note, I filled a shallow plastic tray with "CLR" and let the
      plane bodies sit in it for a day. It does a good job of removing all the
      crusty-rust. Note that is also acts as paint remover, so if you value the
      paint job inside the sole of some planes don't use this approach!
      --
      Craig O'Donnell
      Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

      -- Macintosh kinda guy
      Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
      _________________________________
    • b_owen_ca
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1 1:41 PM
        Lee Valley carried Hock replacement blades. See
        http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?
        page=32692&category=1,41182,43698&ccurrency=2&SID= or just go to
        www.leevalley.com and plough through to the
        woodworking/planes/blades. Pricey but it'd turn a $5 plane into a
        $100 plane.

        I also recall a two part article in WoodenBoat about planing and I
        think the writer gave a source for replacement irons from a company
        in the northeast US. Might also be worth looking at the ads in the
        back.

        HTH

        Bryant

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, craig o'donnell <dadadata@f...> wrote:

        > I've got a couple or three yard-sale planes that didn't cost me
        much, but
        > unfortunately were stored last winter under a leak in the shop
        (shed) roof
        > which became a torrent in Hurricane Izz and filled the plastic tool
        carrier
        > where they were living, with water. It was months before I noticed.
        >
        > A few months back I took them apart and set the pieces aside for
        cleaning
        > and de-rusting. Then in the meantime the usual chaos has ensued in
        the shop
        > environs.
        >
        > Oops. Somehow, I have lost the plane iron (blade) for the "Stanley
        > Handyman" plane I have. This plane is about 9" by 2" and may also
        be called
        > a B2. I think I paid $3 or $5 for the whole thing at a yard sale,
        so no
        > great loss, but on the othre hand I don't want to spend a lot on a
        new
        > blade.
        >
        > Searched eBay for a used plane iron without much success. I figure
        I could
        > buy a complete plane from eBay but then that's a waste of a good
        plane
        > either way, and besides, I don't need more planes. I enjoy planes,
        but I
        > don't collect planes.
        >
        > So.
        >
        > Anyone have a source for used plane irons, or anyone have a scrapped
        > "Handyman" they would let go for cheap?
        >
        > I figure what with the wacky bunch we have reading the Bolger list,
        someone
        > will know something.
        >
        > As a side note, I filled a shallow plastic tray with "CLR" and let
        the
        > plane bodies sit in it for a day. It does a good job of removing
        all the
        > crusty-rust. Note that is also acts as paint remover, so if you
        value the
        > paint job inside the sole of some planes don't use this approach!
        > --
        > Craig O'Donnell
        > Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats
        > <http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fassitt/>
        > The Proa FAQ <http://boat-links.com/proafaq.html>
        > The Cheap Pages <http://www.friend.ly.net/~dadadata/>
        > Sailing Canoes, Polytarp Sails, Bamboo, Chinese
        Junks,