The "Happy Adventyre" is launched

  • Paul McLellan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2004
      http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger2/vwp?.dir=/houseboat&.src
      =gr&.dnm=Happy+Adventure+Underway.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%
      3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger2/lst%3f%26.dir=/houseboat%
      26.src=gr%26.view=t

      The Bolger Houseboat #481 known as the "Happy Adventure" was
      launched June 29th 2004 without the many touches such as finishing
      inside and paint on the cabin portion. The launch from the
      homebuilt trailer was flawless as was the performance under power.
      With a load of 8 FULL grown adults, the old 2 stroke 25hp merc would
      push it 8.7 mph but was wallowing a bit at the back with some
      squat. When the motor was cut to 1/2 thottle the "Happy Adventure"
      rode level and true at between 5 and 6 mph and at times with the
      back door closed, it was very difficult to hear the motor and
      certainly not over the din of the estatic passengers. Very little
      or no reaction to movement in the boat and with the boat empty it
      drew abot 9 inches of water (the motor draws about a foot with a 7
      degree angle on the off the back motor mount) and went down one inch
      with the addition of 1000 lbs. Very impressive and true to the
      stated expectations of Mr. Bolger and beyond my wildest dreams. The
      weather turned bad and poured rain for an hour or so but the rain
      ran out the scuppers and the interior was comfortable and dry for a
      picnic. The boat handled very well in narrow, tight streams and was
      a treat to dock and step ashore directly from the front deck. The
      test was very inspiring and gives a much needed positive attitude to
      quickly do the finishing touches and get out on the beautiful
      waterways of Ontario.
    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2004
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Paul McLellan" <bys@c...> wrote:
        > The Bolger Houseboat #481 known as the "Happy Adventure" was
        > launched June 29th 2004 without the many touches such as finishing
        > inside and paint on the cabin portion

        BRAVO!!!

        You are a braver man then I Paul,for I would not trust my almost
        complete lack of discipline to ensure finishing my boat once it is in
        the water.In fact,I'm such a lazy bum that she would never get
        finished :-)
        And that is why I have psyched myself to not even THINK about
        launching until all the carpets,curtains,chains and leathers are
        properly installed.But of course,I have to get the sides on and the
        interior done before that becomes much of a concern pour moi.

        So,here's wishing the "HAPPY ADVENTYRE" many a fine voyage,safely
        carrying you and yours to new vistas and may our paths one day cross
        on the sparkling waters of Canada's greatest watershed.

        Sincerely,

        Peter Lenihan,about to have a nice tall cold one to cheer you on and
        to sooth,ever so slightly,a tiny green twinge of BEES(Boatbuilders
        Evil Envy Syndrome)........come to think of it,it may take
        several"tall ones" to effectively remove all thoughts of jealousy
        while boosting my resolve to keep my big nose to the grindstone,from
        along the banks of the St.Lawrence..................
      • builtaboat
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2004
          Nice looking boat! What material did you use for the windows?

          Like the color of your hull too!